Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955305 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2745 on: July 27, 2013, 11:32:52 am »

Baldur's gate 3. Damn it, I want my Minsc! BUTT KICKING FOR GOODNESS!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: July 27, 2013, 12:03:57 pm »

A Fantasy RPG with a mostly colonial/frontier-esque setting as opposed to the traditional 7mi2 of the British Isles. Early breach-loading firearms and late flintlocks, bows used by various native people, supernatural elements inspired by a mixture of traditional fantasy and Native American mythology, with a healthy dose of Cajun voodoo.

Ideally, you make a PC and can assemble a party out of a choice of several NPC's, and the ones you've befriended but who aren't currently in your party hang out at wherever your base is. Maybe you own a lodge or small fort out in the sticks, or maybe you've got a ship or riverboat. So, some elements of faction building/management, but you've only a small band so it doesn't consume the whole game.
The way you describe it it sounds less like high-fantasy and more like a straight up Colonise America sim. Or aren't there orcs and elves and such?
I didn't say high-fantasy anywhere. Or that you'd be directing an entire nation/settlement. Just that it would be set in a colonial/frontier setting with fantasy elements.
Oh okay. I didn't say anything about directing a nation/settlement, I meant you'd be a pioneer or somefin'. So what do you mean by fantasy elements then? Just weird monsters and stuff?
Fantasy doesn't need Orcs and Elves. That's what I meant by not the usual 100 acres of Tolkein. There'd be alchemy and conjuring based on the writings of heretics from the Homeland, and other magic would come from the Natives. There'd be a few traditional monsters, like Dragons and werewolves, but there'd also be things based on various Native American myths, like the Wendigo, ghost-drummer, trickster-deities like Coyote or Raven, as well as some cajun-voodoo stuff and a few purely American folklore things (like the jackalope).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2747 on: July 27, 2013, 01:05:55 pm »

I know haha, thats high fantasy (with the orcs and elves and such), which is why I was referring to it as such. :P

Like I said, sounds cool.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: July 27, 2013, 01:47:58 pm »

I know haha, thats high fantasy (with the orcs and elves and such), which is why I was referring to it as such. :P

Like I said, sounds cool.
The other way is good too. I was involved in an RP on this forum a while back where I played a Spanish elf and Napoleon had turned out to be a halfling (the GM said this was coincidental, and just happened because of how he assigned races to nations.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: July 27, 2013, 06:36:26 pm »

A game where you play as a dragon and have to survive for 1000 years (how fast this goes in real-time is adjustable). You need to add treasure to your hoard at a steady rate or you'll wither and die, so no waiting around. As you burn down villages, kidnap princesses and steal treasure, more and more dangerous heroes will come after you, until you're contending with horrifically overleveled heroes who know all the OP weapon and ability combinations. However, you can recruit followers from terrorized civilizations, who may give tribute or become cannon fodder for your dungeons.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: July 27, 2013, 09:52:25 pm »

However, you can recruit followers from terrorized civilizations, who may give tribute or become cannon fodder for your dungeons.

This part would be a nice spin on the whole "evil overlord" trope that go into fortress sim games like DF or Dungeon Keeper. I also like the idea of, instead of conquering the world "Just 'Cause," your raison d'etre is amassing the wealth. You have your action-ish game wherein you alone assault regions and collect wealth, then the sim-ish game where you improve your home from nest to lair to dungeon. Throw in the various flavours of dragon to add some differentiation and replayability, complete with Different but Same abilities/breaths/minions - for example, a black dragon might have undead-themed minions, a white dragon frost-themed (without necessarily being locked into them, or necessarily following the D&D flavouring) - and I'm already spazzing about it.

(Yes, the human followers/cultists aren't necessarily the themed minions you were referring to, but this just offers some supplementary minions that aren't limited entirely to being speed bumps.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:55:38 pm by Niveras »

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: July 27, 2013, 11:31:53 pm »

There need to be more stealth games where you're the monster, the hunter, instead of the whole "outnumbered and outgunned" vibe. You know, like how Batman: Arkham Asylum/City did it where you get to watch the mooks break down in panic as you start to take them out one by one...

Maybe mix that with my desire for a sequel to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and make that be what the stealth is like.

I like you. Come over to my house and fuck my sister. That game is the reason why I am wanting and waiting for the World of Darkness MMO to come out with so much hope that the anticipation is killing me. I want more games where you play a monster, villain or a hunter of some kind as I'm tired of how society has a perpetual hard-on for do-gooders and mary sue heroes of all sorts. It's like people are afraid to get in touch with their inner demons and live alongside them for some reason.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: July 29, 2013, 02:21:49 pm »

I want a straight wave-based zombie game with enough content to not become a drag.

Kinda like Call of Duty zombies mode (don't leave yet, please) except better in every way (told you not to leave).
It's got enough content and large enough maps to keep you going, as well as having systems in place to get, upgrade, and customize weapons.

Waves of various undead, marauders, and mutated come after you, as well as random events that can help or hurt you, that can come at any time at all. Let's say we're playing on a sea-side map, the map is a large boat with a few cargo containers strewn over it, the cargo loading area, and the surrounding complex. Enemies on this map aside from the basic ones are aquatic in nature, that climb up and onto the map from water.

Weapons are also thrown about, but they aren't quite the same as in other games. Firstly:
Aside from the pistol you start with, weapons spawn in with random durability, ammo amounts, and mod locations. You might find a shotgun in relatively good condition (probably won't jam or misfire), with all possible mod slots open, and a full extra ammo box, or you may find it almost unusable, with no room for mod slots, and maybe a slug or two left.

You can also find attachments, as well as materials, to make other weapons and attachments-
Let's say you find a shotgun with all mod-slots open, but with questionable durability and a low amount of ammunition. You've found a few things that could be useful for it, such as dart shells, a foregrip, and a wide, open, no-zoom sight. To actually put any of them on, you have to use a workbench, which takes time and makes you vulnerable. You start to modify the shotgun between waves.

You're able to put on all the attachments easily, and then you work on the durability. You can find repair kits sometimes (rare spawns) that will fix up a weapon to full durability (guaranteed not to fail), but otherwise, you'll have to spend time trying to fix it up. There's a chance that you'll do so well, and in a short time you'll fix up a lot of the durability bar, and there's a chance youll mess it up completely and damage or break the gun. All of this takes time, and the amount of time you get between waves is determined by how well you did on the last wave. Take a long time and intermission will be a short time, not allowing you to get much done, finish a wave quickly, and you'll get a chance to relax.

Random events can be good or bad, and happen at any time- anywhere from causing a large amount of ammo to spawn somewhere on the map (say, a humvee crashes through a map edge, and explodes), or something bad (such as a sudden fast zombie swarm).

All attachments can be used on all weapons. Find a ballistic scope? Go ahead and put it on your shotgun, if for some reason you want to.

Looting areas is also important, to find things in a Last of Us style. You can improve a grip with cloth, reload shells with gunpowder (fairly rare) and other materials (any of them, though a good deal of combinations are useless- cloth shells do absolutely nothing). Some combinations are able to be crafted on the fly- molotovs, for instance.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2753 on: July 29, 2013, 03:23:03 pm »

I don't think I've ever played a zombie game that actually satisfied me or even felt good to play. Cataclysm comes close, but there's that distinct lack of fear and urgency because of the graphical style (nothing against ASCII of course). Zombies are very easy monsters to portray visually, but they generally have a hard time being expressed mechanically in a way that feels right.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: July 29, 2013, 03:37:07 pm »

I don't think I've ever played a zombie game that actually satisfied me or even felt good to play. Cataclysm comes close, but there's that distinct lack of fear and urgency because of the graphical style (nothing against ASCII of course). Zombies are very easy monsters to portray visually, but they generally have a hard time being expressed mechanically in a way that feels right.
I think the problem is just that you can't make zombies scary if you take them logically and in a somewhat realistic setting. We would beat the shit out of them with guns and bombs.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: July 29, 2013, 03:44:18 pm »

I think a tactical/strategic zombie game would be fun, if the zombies were of the 'everyone who dies comes back as a zombie'. Ultimate failure is nearly guaranteed, the question is if you can actually stave it off long enough to find a solution. Every fallen soldier, every civilian you fail to save, they all end up on the enemies side. Bombs and guns help, but the undead are relentless and difficult to destroy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: July 29, 2013, 03:52:01 pm »

The problem with zombies is that they only work in the context of a static narrative where you can say whatever you want and handwaive away logic. In a game based on logical systems you can't do that. The ridiculousness of a zombie apocalypse shines through.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2757 on: July 29, 2013, 04:02:25 pm »

I think the problem is just that you can't make zombies scary if you take them logically and in a somewhat realistic setting. We would beat the shit out of them with guns and bombs.
No, thats not it. Its because no one has ever taken them to the maximum level of logic (the word realism puts a bad taste in my mouth but thats basically what I'm talking about). Slow zombies that can only be killed with a headshot are only ever scary when you are well and truly outnumbered, but a lot of games never even try to portray them in such a way because its hard.

Plus you never have to worry about being infected, and you never have to worry about people who die actually coming back to life.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:04:14 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: July 29, 2013, 04:04:08 pm »

I would do anything to play Legend of Galactic Heroes: Strategy Game.

Aww yiss, massive fleet stuff. That would be grandiose. Plus super detailing politics and character management!

Basically Crusader Kings 2 in space, I guess?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: July 29, 2013, 05:04:29 pm »

I'm just gonna quote a post I made in the North Korea thread.
I now really want a game were you play a designer in third world country which must supply an array of modern combat equipment using only old soviet surplus equipment.
As the game goes on you could even capture nearby nations surplus equipment, diversifying your stock.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 577