Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 957642 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7380 on: March 06, 2017, 10:32:43 pm »

Hiragana Battle is available on Steam, and has received a lot of positive reviews.

Granted, the WTF thread noted that these reviews are rather biased, but still, I'm pretty sure that's the game you mean.

The plot has nothing to do with what I had in mind for learning a language, as a clip of video from the trailer/video and a screenshot both show your standard JRPG battle screen. With actual Japanese hiragana characters as enemies.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: March 07, 2017, 11:48:05 am »

An adventure/puzzle game that teaches a foreign language. Riven teaches an entirely invented number system!

Sethian is a bit like that, I think.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Trebz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: March 15, 2017, 05:23:45 am »

Are there any decent modern rpg's with random encounters anymore? Not including any jrpg's or the Fallout series.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: March 15, 2017, 09:04:50 am »

Are there any decent modern rpg's with random encounters anymore? Not including any jrpg's or the Fallout series.

Elder Scrolls?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Trebz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: March 15, 2017, 12:17:57 pm »

Elder Scrolls?
Anything newer?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: March 15, 2017, 04:27:16 pm »

I think they've gotten pushed away with modern game design.  And, well, modern budgets.  Why use random encounters when you can hand place everything?  I think even in Fallout/Elder Scrolls its not really that random.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: March 15, 2017, 04:34:08 pm »

I want Bully, but set in Hogwarts.

That... is a pretty good idea.

Honestly after hearing bad things about Bully my first experience with it is that it is... underrated... in many ways amazing (and revolutionary in one respect for a T-rated game)

Not that I love ALL aspects of it. I mean I can't stand the lunch lady (and all her quests)... and it seems like the game cannot create a villain except to make them almost wholly unlikable (Well sort of... the main villain is sympathetic... so much so the ending actually is a huge WTF moment for me because he just disappears)

In many ways the controversy surrounding the game is poetic given the entire point of the game is how everyone just assumes the worst out of our hero.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:35:40 pm by Neonivek »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: March 16, 2017, 12:46:33 am »

MGSV with shadow of mordor's nemesis system for the inevitable quirky minibosses.
At the least it would be better than the fucking skulls.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: March 16, 2017, 01:06:11 am »

I want Bully, but set in Hogwarts.

That... is a pretty good idea.

Honestly after hearing bad things about Bully my first experience with it is that it is... underrated... in many ways amazing (and revolutionary in one respect for a T-rated game)

Not that I love ALL aspects of it. I mean I can't stand the lunch lady (and all her quests)... and it seems like the game cannot create a villain except to make them almost wholly unlikable (Well sort of... the main villain is sympathetic... so much so the ending actually is a huge WTF moment for me because he just disappears)

In many ways the controversy surrounding the game is poetic given the entire point of the game is how everyone just assumes the worst out of our hero.

Really, I am surprised that the bullies in the books (harry potter) are so benign...  Shit, I know I would be doing some horrible things with magic involved. (No, not a bully per se, I would totally be an anti-bully/class clown though.)

Just picture it: Magical automata that resemble Smurfs (without actually being) invade Snape's potion supply cabinet. Are immune to magic (actually, it forces them to reproduce like water does to mogoui(sp?)), Can only be destroyed with kindness. (The honest, genuine kind that Snape is incapable of.) Grow horrible mushroom houses all over, and sing out of key.

For people like Malfoy, very special gender neutralizing (as in, ken doll smoothness) curses, like "Androgynus!", or being followed around by little magical flocks of singing bluebirds, Disney Princess style.

Maybe a curse that causes him to talk out his ass every time he acts like a little shit... Or perhaps make toilet flushing noises. Things like that. I would be like the evil version of Hermione Granger. :P

What do we get in the books instead? Malfoy just being a little pompous shit, of the ordinary, benign kind. There is so much wasted potential there.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: March 16, 2017, 06:12:29 am »

I would probably be expelled before I even arrived. I would immediately start cursing people to have incredibly small or large body parts.

I never understood why, if you were studying fucking magic, you wouldn't want to know everything under the sun. All these students are described skipping homework and it's like "Oh, I skipped a class of learning about mystical, god-like control of the physical world so I could just... hang out. I'm sure we weren't learning anything interesting in magic school."
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: March 16, 2017, 08:57:32 am »

I would probably be expelled before I even arrived. I would immediately start cursing people to have incredibly small or large body parts.

I never understood why, if you were studying fucking magic, you wouldn't want to know everything under the sun. All these students are described skipping homework and it's like "Oh, I skipped a class of learning about mystical, god-like control of the physical world so I could just... hang out. I'm sure we weren't learning anything interesting in magic school."

I mean, history of magic is literally legends mode. We'd eat that up.

Harry Potter fic, except the main character is a B12er.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: March 17, 2017, 04:42:19 am »

It's not really surprising. In the interest of not actually creating a functional system (or even semi-concrete rules about the system, as there is in some magic systems), it kind of glosses over exactly how hard magic even is. Like, are wands just a focal point, or do spells require very specific, even surgical, wand motions? Do some spells (not just alchemy) require reagents? Where does "power" come from, how are individuals measured in "power"? Is Dumbledore actually more "powerful" than a student due to some born-in intrinsic quality - selected for in surviving to his age and due to the roles he's been chosen for - or does everyone have the same power limits and he is more efficient and knows more spells and has more trinkets and tools? The books are inconsistent with some aspects, as well: wand-less magic is supposedly impossible but people use telekinesis all the time (floating things to them).

All this to say that being a reality-altering wizard might be as much work as being able to build a nuclear reactor in your garage. Sure, it is possible, but the effort involved is more than most people are willing to put in. The ratio of tryhards to slackers in the wizarding world is no different from the mundane world, perhaps higher given the conveniences they learn and a lack of innovation or magilogical (technological) advancement.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: March 17, 2017, 10:44:33 pm »

Watching (and playing) a bit of Dying Light has made me think about the concept of a first-person beat-em-up/brawler game.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: March 17, 2017, 10:46:06 pm »

Watching (and playing) a bit of Dying Light has made me think about the concept of a first-person beat-em-up/brawler game.

Oh hell yes, an old school game retro New York back alley setting, fighting through hordes of stupidly dressed enemies, a boss at the end of each stage, from first person? Take my money.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: March 17, 2017, 11:37:29 pm »

Does Condemned count? It looked like it was trying to do that to me. Though I never got to play it myself. Closest other thing I can think of is the mod/standalone mod Action Doom 2.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 577