Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 954890 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #6810 on: May 09, 2016, 03:06:44 pm »

Half-Life 2, but with some of the better cut content put back in.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: May 09, 2016, 04:21:51 pm »

Game idea I had a brief inkling of trying to make before deciding to restrict myself to more attainable projects.  The setting is a science-fantasyish thing where there is no FTL travel, instead portal generators are used to travel in between worlds.  Something has gone wrong and you have to travel between worlds fighting hordes of enemies as you try to get to the next generator.

It controls like a twin stick shooter, you WASD to move and mouse to control where your character is aiming.  There are a lot of enemies and they tend to try and close in on you, some have projectile attacks but they're slow enough to be dodged easily if there's only small numbers of enemies shooting at you.  Each character has a 2-3 abilities that cost mana to use; for example there might be a jedi-esque character that pushes or pulls enemies, a character with suit of armor power armor with thrusters they can use to fly forwards or backwards, ect.

The way weapons work is a little unusual however.  There are relatively few weapons, each with its own animations and detailed mechanics.  Each weapon has a heavy and a light setting, so a pistol might shoot once if you hit LMB or three times rapid if you hit RMB, a melee weapon might have a jab and a bullet reflecting wide swing.  Each comes with combos that you can chain together by alternating the different mouse buttons and pauses, as per a hack and slash game.  Your character has a dodge roll and if you hold the mouse button down you can continue your combo after rolling.  Each weapon has combos that will cause you to use one of your character's abilities at a reduced mana cost; that means that the combo will do something different depending on which character you have and certain weapons will be better in certain character's hands.  So for example you might have a shotgun combo that would have the jedi character pull an enemy in and then shoot them at close range, but the armored character jump forward and do the same.  And a third character might just do a ranged attack or a different ability and thus have less synergy with the shotgun.

Oh and has 4 player co-op.  Hopefully that made sense, I'm tired.

Depending on how "fighting hordes of enemies" plays out in your mind, your description basically sounds like Hero Siege to me.

Spoiler: Differences: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:23:42 pm by Niveras »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6812 on: May 09, 2016, 11:52:13 pm »

Paradox just needs to make a full-world-history game. If a DLC applies from the dawn of human civilization up to the modern age, then yeah I'll be willing to see $250 worth of it in the store.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: May 09, 2016, 11:55:28 pm »

victoria 3 may be a link between EU4 and Hoi 4.

Then, you could start a game in Crusader Kings 3, and bring it all the way to the end of Hoi 4.

Is that good enough?

(Buying all 4 of those games would probably cost 250 anyways :) )
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6814 on: May 10, 2016, 11:52:20 am »

victoria 3 may be a link between EU4 and Hoi 4.

Then, you could start a game in Crusader Kings 3, and bring it all the way to the end of Hoi 4.

Is that good enough?

(Buying all 4 of those games would probably cost 250 anyways :) )

A full copy of Crusader Kings 2 costs $250 alone. But yeah I suppose you could. I'm just not willing to spend $1000 to get everything.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: May 10, 2016, 02:28:08 pm »

I want a game that's a cross between a personal management game (like Long Live the Queen or Princess Maker), Myst, a dating sim, and ye olde dungeon crawlers like Wizardry. In dungeons, you click around relatively static one-screen rooms and solve adventure-style puzzles, interspersed with random encounters. However, you can also start a conversation with anybody that happens to be in your party, and also make decisions at critical junctures that affect the overall plot. Then, finally, you raise stats in town by training over weeks, months or even years, which is where the management comes in.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: May 10, 2016, 05:32:13 pm »

A Predator Space Travel game where you go to various randomly generated worlds and just hunt the indigenous creatures there.  You'd have a Predator species wide leaderboard of sorts where the most experienced and renowned hunters with the most quality kills and highest personal honour are the cream of the crop, and you want to hunt your way to the number 1 spot.

Going to savage worlds and hunting huge beasts would be quite prestigious, provided you don't use any advanced weaponry.  Game preserves like in the movie Predators would exist, less prestige due to the Predators having the turf advantage, but it's good practice on the various random persistent species throughout the galaxy.

Hunting sentient species gets real interesting.  Hunting non-combatants, pregnant individuals, children, old aliens, all of that is dishonourable.  Therefore, the only sentient beings worth hunting would be those in soldier/combatant roles.  The AI of these sapient soldiers would be their main advantage, for every  one you kill, the ones after would learn more about you, and how to counter your hunting tactics, something that even the largest and most powerful beasts of other worlds would not be able to do.  Given enough time on a certain world, the locals would eventually manage to create Anti-Predator tactics and weapons, and therefore pose the greatest threat to you.

Break the rules of the hunt, and you lose honour and prestige.  Do this enough, and you'll be branded a criminal of Predator civilisation, which means that other Predators will be sent to put you down.  This would be the greatest challenge of the game, once every other species you've hunted becomes too predictable or too easy, you'd have to deal with hunters of your exact caliber, outnumbering you. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: May 11, 2016, 06:57:30 pm »

I really like the Advanced War games, but I can never play any of them with humans despite that online service existing, because between competent humans the game always either ends in a draw or the first player to go wins.  I'd like to a mostly literal translation of the Advanced Wars games with some specific changes to avert that:
1.  A hex based system instead of a square based system (so its much less likely a unit can only be attacked from one side).
2.  Hexes have room for one land unit and one air unit; no more blocking fighters with tanks.  This means that you can concentrate fire on single hexes more than you would normally have room to, justifying air units being largely overpriced.
3.  Attacking and moving are the same action.  Direct units effectively have a range of 0 and attack things by moving over them.  If the attack results in a kill, they can stay where they are or continue the move, attacking again if they move over something else.  No more blocking tanks with 2 health infantry.  Transports dropping units counts as a move and thus can be an attack, and if the attack fails to kill the target the unit goes back into the transport.  No more making landers useless by blocking beaches.
4.  All maps are hybrid pre-deploy/base maps, and have a turn limit based on their size.  Each map is asymmetrical with one side having better terrain (including potentially more buildings) AND going first.  Players have a pool of money they use to buy predeployed units before the first turn is taken.  They each secretly bid how much less money they would be willing to have in order to get the favored side, with whoever bid less winning.  There are two modes:
4a.  Offensive: the favored side is the attacker and must destroy all defender units or take their headquarters before the turn limit is up.  If the defender has even one unit left when time is up, they win.
4b.  Disputed Territory: a set number of buildings in the middle of the map are marked as disputed territory.  If either side controls all of these buildings at the start of their turn, they win.  If the turn limit is reached, the game ends in a draw.

The net effect of these changes is there's no first turn advantage (well there is, but its designed around), you can overrun inferior enemy units to get at the squishy indirect units in the back, and matches end when they start to get boring (AKA once the neutral cities have all been taken).  There'd probably have to be a bunch of small balance changes, and COs would have to be changed too since those are always broken.  But I think it would make a balanced game that keeps most elements of the original games.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: May 11, 2016, 07:35:22 pm »

So, you want an Advanced Wars game...that has been changed so much that it's not really Advanced Wars at all?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: May 11, 2016, 08:16:41 pm »

I mean the units would be the same, it would just be less turtly :P  I don't know, maybe that is really different.

I don't think AW works that well as a multiplayer strategy game.  Like on paper the units and COs are fine but the actual in practice it doesn't work.  See, when I was a kid I would spam a big blob of infantry and mechs, with artillery behind them, and maybe tanks if things were open.  And that was a fine way to play, until I started fighting people who also did that.  And we realized that there was literally no counter and no way to attack using that strategy.  To say nothing of the first turn advantage that is super present in the series (I never noticed as a kid because I always played as Orange Star).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6820 on: May 11, 2016, 09:24:27 pm »

And we realized that there was literally no counter and no way to attack using that strategy.

To say nothing of the first turn advantage that is super present in the series (I never noticed as a kid because I always played as Orange Star).
No counter? If someone just kept mindlessly making piles of infantry I would make AA tanks. Healthy AA tanks deal 105% damage to infantry. Arty is expensive so it would be crazy easy to kill infantry that weren't being covered by indirect fire, or to just drive around them and park on your production structures since AA tanks are quite fast. And mix in some light tanks to deal with whatever proper tanks you made. Don't get me wrong, AW2 is unbalanced, but only when we're talking about strategy in the context of specific COs battling one another.

Part of winning in Advance Wars and Fire Emblem is taking maximum advantage of weapon and movement range in order to set things up so that you attack first. That's the biggest reason behind why you can S-rank the campaign missions in Advance Wars even when the AI outnumbers the shit out of you. But yeah I can see how first turn advantage can be untenable on tiny maps where someone can whip out a Rocket and have it guarding one of your factories. If AW2 had a stronger competitive scene then I don't doubt there would be official tournament maps that were considered balanced.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:28:22 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: May 11, 2016, 11:04:43 pm »

I don't think you're envisioning the situation.  There are no infantry not covered by arty.  There is no open terrain not covered by infantry.  You 1-shot infantry with AA tank, AA tank gets crippled.  Even if you repair it you still have to pay for the damage so you lost.  And you can't build up 10 AA tanks or whatever.  Remember, the first person to gain an income advantage in Advance Wars wins or draws 95% of the time because they have a production advantage AND they're on the defensive.  I've already got a mostly complete infantry blob from the expansion phase and it didn't cost that much to fill it out with more infantry and supplement it with arty.  This cost efficient blob is coming for your booty.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6822 on: May 11, 2016, 11:18:13 pm »

I think we should play a game on Advance Wars by Web, and see what happens. I've only played AW PVP a couple times and I'd be interested to see how your strategy works out.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:46:31 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: May 12, 2016, 06:29:09 am »

I want an RTS set in the Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones universe where you can control the armies of the various nations.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: May 12, 2016, 06:47:31 pm »

I think we should play a game on Advance Wars by Web, and see what happens. I've only played AW PVP a couple times and I'd be interested to see how your strategy works out.
Do you want to go?  1v1 me bro.

Edit: We are 1v1ing bro.  So far we've both made multiple questionable decisions and both picked a BS CO.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:35:34 pm by EnigmaticHat »
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 577