Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 956934 times)

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5970 on: October 01, 2015, 12:59:56 pm »

My fav but of civ 5 was creating massive fleets of troops and ships. Take them across the ocean over the span of a hundred or so years. Before desperately fighting Riflemen with knights because they took so long to cross the ocean.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: October 01, 2015, 01:21:37 pm »

A civilization game with an expanded concept of armies. Instead of moving individual troops around you actually make armies, depending on your civ, population  culture, military tech levels those could be anything from roving warbands of barbarians of only a few units, classic armies with siege weapons up to massive cybernetic legions.

This would be a compromise between the "stacks of doom" (which honestly weren't all that common) and the stupid 1upt limit brought on Civ V.

You could still in theory have lone units, but this would be at serious disadvantages against "organized" fighting forces and also would give generals a real purpose again. Of course the same could be applied to navies, giving admirals also a real purpose beyond repairing ships.

As you progress certain techs and cultural advances you can open up slots for more units and types of units for your armies, so eventually you can add siege weapons to combat against walled cities and so on.

In the case of planes I guess the old system of being based somewhere would work.
Lone units could actually have an advantage in certain terrains, a'la forests in your borders and such, to represent being trained in gorilla warfare and being top of their class in Navy SEALs.

Also: a great way to do that is simply to cap the UPTs at... a bunch? Depends on the scale you want to go for. Some mods for Civ IV do just that and it works pretty well, but the mechanics weren't designed to support it so there's some annoyances, but if you built a game with that cap being included in design, it could work out quite alright.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: October 01, 2015, 01:31:40 pm »

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Hehehe but you are right. Certain units would indeed be useful, mostly reckon units and saboteurs or disrupting cavalry units.

I know there are some mods with caps that fix that off (and actually work pretty well), but sadly I don't own Civ IV and can't buy it over steam for any reason my stupid government thinks off (retardly, I can buy Civ III and V).

On civ V the mod that allows staking if fine but the AI doesn't seem to use that advantage because well, is not programmed to do so.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:34:41 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: October 01, 2015, 04:34:24 pm »

A civilization game with an expanded concept of armies. Instead of moving individual troops around you actually make armies, depending on your civ, population, culture, military tech levels those could be anything from roving warbands of barbarians of only a few units, classic armies with siege weapons up to massive cybernetic legions.

Call to Power 2 has army units. Units fall into categories: direct combat, ranged combat, and flanking. Direct combat units (infantry, both melee and modern) can only attack things in the same column. Ranged can also only attack things in the same column but can fire "over" units in front of them (and generally have stronger a "ranged" strength versus the "melee" strength stat). Flanking units can attack units in adjacent columns. Early game, units generally only perform well in one role (archers "can" be frontline but they won't make use of their stronger "ranged" stat in that role), but later some units do equally well as melee or ranged, or the distinction between melee and flanking diminishes.

It still wasn't really the best set up and could be improved, but it was a far cry better than the stacks of doom and the 1upt extremes of Civ4 and Civ5.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: October 02, 2015, 12:06:18 pm »

Some sort of sandbox game - be it a traditional RPG, a sandbox-strategy a'la Mount and Blade or a sandbox shooter a'la Far Cry 2 - where

a) you are not the (designated) hero - meaning you are NOT The Chosen One, the only person with superpowers or whatever, and your heroic-ness only comes into play if you earn it in-universe,

b) there's at least two, but preferably more, factions engaged in a reasonably fair fight (i.e. one faction may have an advantage, either due to placement, resources, or whatever, but neither side's loss is assured if you don't show up),

c) you can take quests from any side of your liking as long as that faction meets criterion b), with there being at least two options (so it could have some generically Pure Evulz faction that is unplayable, but the other factions are competing with each other as well),

d) the quests are generated based upon the AI faction leader's actual current needs and accomplishing them furthers their goals; if you don't do them, an NPC working for said leader may do it for them instead - that's the main meat of the idea, the quests don't exist in a parallel story-verse where it just seems like you are doing something for a faction but it at best gives the faction 'territory control' they somehow are unable to get on their own.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: October 02, 2015, 02:02:01 pm »

I wish Sonic 06 was a good game. I love time travel stories, and Silver almost had a character arc. But alas, Sonic 06 was never finished, and released as the turd-on-a-disc that we all know today...
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: October 02, 2015, 02:08:42 pm »

2.) A combination of Tropico, SimCity Societies, and regular SimCity. Basically the same as the above, rxcept you have the alternate option of laying out zones as per the core SimCity series instead of placing the buildings directly. Buildings you place directly are co sidered government owned and require upkeep but you have a good deal of control over them (you can fire employees, reduce upkeep by lowering the quality of whatever they do, fiddle with other settings). Buildings that develop from zones are private, requiring no upkeep but offering less control and bring you less revenue; they generally perform whatever service they perform better than you can reliably afford to with govt. versions (in terms of those govt. buildings' upkeep settings) but never as good as you theoretically can if you set upkeep and quality to maximum.
Cities: Skylines

This game doesn't seem anything like what i described

EDIT:
Other than being a city builder it doesn't seem to be similar to what I said in any way

EDIT:
What do I do to get steam to give me a refund?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:39:40 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: October 02, 2015, 02:56:57 pm »

Can we have more stealth games where the enemies actually act like they don't know you're there? Even in MGSV, guards telepathically know that your nearby footsteps are somehow more suspicious than those of the other two dozen nearby guards.
The Dark Mod. They can get suspicious when they hear you, but if they didn't actually see you (or you were especially loud) they just forget about it again. It is done rather well – as the enemies are guards it certainly makes sense that they're careful and actually look when they heard a sound, but it seems rather reasonable.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: October 02, 2015, 05:57:33 pm »

2.) A combination of Tropico, SimCity Societies, and regular SimCity. Basically the same as the above, rxcept you have the alternate option of laying out zones as per the core SimCity series instead of placing the buildings directly. Buildings you place directly are co sidered government owned and require upkeep but you have a good deal of control over them (you can fire employees, reduce upkeep by lowering the quality of whatever they do, fiddle with other settings). Buildings that develop from zones are private, requiring no upkeep but offering less control and bring you less revenue; they generally perform whatever service they perform better than you can reliably afford to with govt. versions (in terms of those govt. buildings' upkeep settings) but never as good as you theoretically can if you set upkeep and quality to maximum.
Cities: Skylines

How is this in any way like Tropico or Societies?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: October 02, 2015, 06:18:50 pm »

Refunds are in support, I believe.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: October 02, 2015, 07:28:45 pm »

Thanks.

Though I'm still not 100% sure I want a refund. It's absolutely nothing like I was lead to believe, but it might turn put to be a decent game in it's own right. But to find that out I'd have to play it for more than two hours, which would exceed the limit for steam's return policy. Conniving bastards; No one can tell how good a game is in less than two hours unless it's really amazingly good or really amazingly bad, and this game is merely mediocre. But then again, there's also the issue of why am I paying twenty dollars for a mediocre game

EDIT:
There's also the possibility that it might be like Elder Scrolls or Fallout, where it becomes good after the addition of an assload of mods. But then again, I didn't pay this kind of money for those games either; is it worth paying a relatively large amount of money for a game that's relatively incomplete?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:35:18 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: October 04, 2015, 01:31:14 am »

Cities is pretty good. Much better than the recent SimCity. You made a good buy.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: October 05, 2015, 04:37:07 am »

I built up a couple cities and then never touched it again, so...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: October 06, 2015, 12:28:29 am »

Azathoth Simulator. As a cultist, you have to prod an elder god into doing your will until eventually you win him over, somewhat like an idle game. However, there's more active elements for when you want to advance a little quicker; minigames to perform rituals, kidnap sacrifices, general cult-type stuff.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: October 06, 2015, 12:57:31 am »

Cities is pretty good. Much better than the recent SimCity. You made a good buy.

W3ll it's good now that I've downgraded from deluxe to regular. It s3ems the deluxe pack is just a tiny handful of extra buildings and a copy of the soundtrack. The soundtrack is terrible; i turn the music off while the game's running. So the 20 dollar deluxe pack crossed the line between questionable value and obvious ripoff. With this downgrade however I can be dubiously satisfied with the purchase.

I take issue with your comparison to SimCity 5 however. So it's better than SimCity 5. Osama Bin Laden was better than Hitler; that doesn't make him a good guy.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 577