Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 954819 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5610 on: August 04, 2015, 09:07:56 am »

Or you could keep scores of different consequences of your actions without actually having to have a branching choose-your-own-adventure. Sorta like RPG stats but not of your own character but how you have been dealing with things.

Like the reputation system in New Vegas, or the relationship thing in Alpha Protocol, except you track a lot of more arbitrary things than just how much people respect you. At some point these get evaluated at certain branching points, at the ending "slides", whatever. Even if some later converge, they will still affect how hard some puzzles get later if you use the easy way at the beginning.

EDIT: Actual point & click example. I think it was Kings Quest 4 (I'm not sure, could be confusing with another game), there were a couple places were you had to get rid of some animal to access certain place (different creatures). You could like, throw a rock at one, with no immediate consequence. Or you could use a less aggressive way. But later to get past a different challenge, the game remembered if you were mean to one of these beasties and didn't let you thru. (in this case it rendered the game unwinnable I believe, but this wouldn't need to be so extreme)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:13:13 am by Sergius »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: August 04, 2015, 09:18:46 am »

Any CYOA by Choice Of Games tends to keep track of various stats that increase and decrease based on your actions, and affect if you'll succeed on certain actions.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: August 04, 2015, 03:53:43 pm »

Any CYOA by Choice Of Games tends to keep track of various stats that increase and decrease based on your actions, and affect if you'll succeed on certain actions.
Choice of games are awesome

I just wish there were more

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: August 04, 2015, 05:00:37 pm »

Yeah I was just about to say that. There's a lot more scope for deeply interactive stories when there's no graphical elements.

This is pleasing to read. I'm working on one right now.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: August 05, 2015, 11:14:23 pm »

A pinball machine based on the Countryball/Polandball comics
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Holy Snickerdoodles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: August 06, 2015, 08:36:39 am »

Yeah I was just about to say that. There's a lot more scope for deeply interactive stories when there's no graphical elements.

This is pleasing to read. I'm working on one right now.
I've never heard of the site before, but I decided to read a free sample of one at random and it was pretty fun!  Lots of subtle changes in the text depending on past choices.  Would be interested in seeing your own work whenever it's out.

I share the same wish as itisnotsological, though I understand having a CYOA with a myriad of paths is extraordinarily implausible.  Nothing wrong with dreaming though!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: August 06, 2015, 11:27:47 pm »

Ever read the book, "Ready Player One"?
In that book there is a part where the main character has to do some exercise before his PC will actually let him use it for anything other then the exercise program...
I want that. I want a way to lock me out of my PC which isn't just someone else in the real world going "No. Not until you do pushups" cause I would just fucking ignore them. I want to gamify the whole thing or such...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: August 06, 2015, 11:38:45 pm »

In that book there is a part where the main character has to do some exercise before his PC will actually let him use it for anything other then the exercise program...
I want that. I want a way to lock me out of my PC which isn't just someone else in the real world going "No. Not until you do pushups" cause I would just fucking ignore them. I want to gamify the whole thing or such...
IIRC It wasn't an exercise program, it was a pedal powered generator that actually charged the computer. Which is also a good idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: August 06, 2015, 11:58:29 pm »

IIRC It wasn't an exercise program, it was a pedal powered generator that actually charged the computer. Which is also a good idea.
Really, could have sworn. Eh, still want that...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: August 07, 2015, 04:42:46 pm »

Ratchet and clank three, but co-op.

Arena just isn't quite as good, as much as I enjoy speedrunning it at the highest difficulty with my best friend.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: August 07, 2015, 05:04:32 pm »

Really, could have sworn. Eh, still want that...

I'd really like to have the pedal power generator. That way I could exercise without feeling like I'm in a piece of avant-garde performance art about the futility of human endeavor; "Let's bike to nowhere or row to nowhere or walk up stairs that don't go anywhere derp  derp derp!"
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: August 07, 2015, 08:42:17 pm »

Really, what I would want is just a bike setup where I can pedal while playing games. Wouldn't have the boredom of exercise set in, and I have something to do with my feet. It wouldn't even need to be intense. Sitting at my computer for ten hours while very lightly pedaling will be plenty of exercise.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: August 07, 2015, 08:46:20 pm »

Im willing to go very far. As someone who also does a fair bit of writing and thinking about stories, nothing pleases me greater than to discover the stories of games, whether that means going all out in a game, trolling its wiki, or both i'm more than willing to do it. I love it.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: August 07, 2015, 08:48:57 pm »

Im willing to go very far. As someone who also does a fair bit of writing and thinking about stories, nothing pleases me greater than to discover the stories of games, whether that means going all out in a game, trolling its wiki, or both i'm more than willing to do it. I love it.
Perhaps you meant that to go in the "How far are you willing to go to play a game" thread?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: August 07, 2015, 09:53:25 pm »

Really, what I would want is just a bike setup where I can pedal while playing games. Wouldn't have the boredom of exercise set in, and I have something to do with my feet. It wouldn't even need to be intense. Sitting at my computer for ten hours while very lightly pedaling will be plenty of exercise.

A game where the objective is to run over as many pedestrians aspossible, with ocasional upgrades like lasers, all using a stationary bike as controller... Endless possibilities. As long as all of them involve murder and chaos....
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 577