Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 954897 times)

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4440 on: September 12, 2014, 08:47:59 am »

SEMI-IMPORTANT!
I'm just gonna leave this here...
(yeah, I kind of gave the sub to someone else after realizing I couldn't properly run it myself... *runs away*)

Great :D

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4441 on: September 12, 2014, 10:04:41 am »

I want to see a 4x TBS like Galactic Civs but the space ships and planets are one in the same.  The only difference is that one has giant rockets attached to it Planetary Annihilation style and the other is stationary.

Also the most basic form of combat is volley-firing nukes between planets.  The attacker assigns nukes to tiles of the defender's planet, and then they defend with a mix of stationary guns that work automatically and counter-missiles that can be assigned to defend any part of the planet.  Whether a nuke gets stopped is random, with each defense having a % chance of knocking out one nuke.  Thus both sides have to chose which structures are most important to them.  The attacker can spread the missiles out to cause maximum destruction, or focus on key targets and risk that the defender will simply let some through and they'll waste shots nuking the same target more than once.

Since this would result in both sides getting nuked many times everyone would have an incentive to resolve things peacefully unless they can get an overwhelming advantage.

But yeah, the image of two planets flying close to each other and then exchanging huge volleys of nukes, with even the attacker being devastated at the end of the fight seems very epic.  Obviously this is soft sci-fi.
I can picture a simple kind of game like this with two planets that aren't capable of space travel who shoot missiles at each other every couple years and the goal is to blow all his stuff up before he can blow all your stuff up.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: September 12, 2014, 10:29:04 am »

I want to see a 4x TBS like Galactic Civs but the space ships and planets are one in the same.  The only difference is that one has giant rockets attached to it Planetary Annihilation style and the other is stationary.

Also the most basic form of combat is volley-firing nukes between planets.  The attacker assigns nukes to tiles of the defender's planet, and then they defend with a mix of stationary guns that work automatically and counter-missiles that can be assigned to defend any part of the planet.  Whether a nuke gets stopped is random, with each defense having a % chance of knocking out one nuke.  Thus both sides have to chose which structures are most important to them.  The attacker can spread the missiles out to cause maximum destruction, or focus on key targets and risk that the defender will simply let some through and they'll waste shots nuking the same target more than once.

Since this would result in both sides getting nuked many times everyone would have an incentive to resolve things peacefully unless they can get an overwhelming advantage.

But yeah, the image of two planets flying close to each other and then exchanging huge volleys of nukes, with even the attacker being devastated at the end of the fight seems very epic.  Obviously this is soft sci-fi.
I can picture a simple kind of game like this with two planets that aren't capable of space travel who shoot missiles at each other every couple years and the goal is to blow all his stuff up before he can blow all your stuff up.
Ahem.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: September 12, 2014, 10:32:18 am »

What you did there is describe 'Interplanetary'.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4444 on: September 12, 2014, 10:39:12 am »

Ahem.
Sweet babby Jesus I'm good.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: September 12, 2014, 10:44:49 am »

I really like space games, and I've been trying to figure out how to describe one that I want where the basic premise is Civilization in space.  But I don't mean like Galactic Civilization(or any other game where each planet is basically a city) or the new Civ game they're making(though it does also look really cool).  I just recently realized that Planetary Annihilation is actually the closest to what I want in appearance and mechanics, but with the planets being more like individual Civ maps.  I think that gets my idea across pretty well, but I'm still gonna say more about it :)

Generally when I'm thinking about this, it's in a setting where there's space travel and easy terraforming but no FTL travel, so everything is confined to the same solar system.  I want empires competing for resources on Earth, Mars, Europa, and the asteroid belt, rather than trying to manage several cities on several worlds across 40 stars with competition everywhere.  Of course, I'd also like random solar systems with different stars and worlds as well.  I actually don't personally want to design my own ships, though I understand that's a common draw in games like this.  I'm not particularly interested in alien races either since my ideal is for most of the empires to start on the same world, though I can think of situations where they might be really interesting.  A thousand year old colony ship from a distant star reaching its destination and colonizing Mars as the trigger for Solar Expansion.  Intelligent life on Venus that needs that kind of incredibly deadly climate in order to survive, and wants to change the atmosphere of every planet in the system for their own colonies.  A nation conquered by robotic AI with completely different views of what it needs to progress than what its former human leaders would have expected.

I would like it if worlds visually changed as they where terraformed, based on the goals of the shaper.  I want the independent city-states, but I want them to form over the course of a game from cities sending out independent settler-ships.  I want 2000 years or more worth of technologies that don't even exist yet.  I want conquest, diplomacy, glassed continents, culture, wonders, and space.  I want a civ game where you start 50 years from now instead of the stone age.

I would which for a strategy game that would be like a mix of Europa Universalis and Civilization with a tad of Total War in the strategic part but featuring not only a single planet but hundreds of them, and their respective star systems. A turn based strategy game.

With Total War like battles for land and sea battles and Homeworld like battles for the space ones. Or real time tactical game.

With a research system akin to the one of Space Empires V and overall feel of Emperor of the Falling Suns. Where population and resources are taken into account in a local way. No magic piles of resources, if you have steel in one side of the planet and a vehicle in the other side or even in another planet, there must be a way of taking the steel from point A to B.

Oh and with a custom array of design for infantry gear and vehicles load out, but also even buildings and races themselves, like Spore but not aimed at 5 years old, something serious looking. Where in the case of vehicles each design really affects it's performance and fire arcs and such. And borrowing a little from SotS where prototype vehicles have more cost and some vehicles are really nice while sometimes others are kind of lemons. As you progress in technology new types of components, hulls and vehicles are available.

As for the infantry, you get to not only choose the uniform and weapon load out, but can make several types of infantry and then the squad, platoon and company load out. For the individual soldier imagine something along the lines of the Dawn of War army painter but with the Firestorm Over Kronus mod weapons choices, but instead of just painting you choose which weapons they carry and what kind of uniform they use for desert, urban, ice, jungle and so environments, the weapons they will use and their combat behavior. Also while at it, as with the vehicles, you get more things as your tech progress.

As with the infantry squads and companies system, an army and fleet load out system should be used, so instead of you needing to recruit everything individually you can have an template and recruit whole armies and fleets on the whim of a click, the game recruiting and commissioning the vehicles from the nearest/most suitable/convenient planets, factories and shipyards.

And last but not least, a proper naming system for ships, where you can customize if they get random names (from generic or custom lists), numbers or both, and their class and design type are also made clear and if any or all of this is written on the hull or not, where the first of a class can auto get it's class name if you choose to. The same go for army naming, specifically for squad, platoon and company levels.

Graphic wise I would not be much concerned. Something along the lines of Dawn of War level of graphics would be nice but I would be happy even if is something in 2D, however I have heard that even when 2D is less demanding to the machine, quality 2d graphics (Starcraft 1, Age of Empires comes to mind) are actually harder to make than 3d.

A game where you had Shallow Space for space battles, Dawn of War for land ones and a grand strategy map that's a mix of Distant Worlds scale and detail but in 3d and segmented/separated in sector/solar system levels (had to be to be turn based and your computer not to blow up) and paradox/total war/civilization like for each planet. With a tad of Sim City for the city management aspect.

And mostly customizable AND modable so the fans of every franchise and universe (Star Wars, Star Trek, Warhammer 40K, Halo, Stargate....) can mod in their stuff.

Great minds...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:48:05 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: September 12, 2014, 04:57:39 pm »

Ahem.
Sweet babby Jesus I'm good.
Or, if all you care about is lobbing nukes at each other then there is always Defcon...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4447 on: September 12, 2014, 05:17:28 pm »

Or, if all you care about is lobbing nukes at each other then there is always Defcon...
I played the demo a lot, but I never had the cash to buy the full game.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: September 12, 2014, 07:25:38 pm »

World of Warcraft, with the stories of each expansion adapted into a single-player RPG. There's an over-arching thread somewhere in WoW's zones and dungeons, but it's pretty much lost because of the scope of the game and fast-paced nature of dungeon instances. I blew through Burning Crusade's content without ever once knowing what was happening, and left before reaching the end because I was way overleveled and not making any real progress with my character.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: September 13, 2014, 11:01:43 am »

You're not the only one. I'd love to see WoW re-imagined as an over-the-shoulder ARPG, take out all the mundane quests and give each zone one major arc that ties together at the "continent" level. So you have, like, a warlock just laying waste to vast hordes with area-effect DoTs or a demon army, or a warrior charging and leaping around, or a rogue that... also pretty much just charges around, but stealth-like.

Most all of the raids would still be there but re-jiggered to one-player combat - still needing to meet damage benchmarks on top of the usual scripts they have, including having to avoid things like high damage or instant death mechanics.

The chief thing about is, despite being an ARPG in name, the view and some of the controls be peripherably resemble an MMO, but with additional design considerations and innovation in order to handle things like ground or aimed targeting, or AI commands, in real time while maintaining high tactical avoidance requirements in the difficult content. Also, probably 0 ability to play in multiplayer.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: September 14, 2014, 11:16:29 pm »

Warhammer 40k

But online

It's all I want. I'd much rather have to pay 25$ to play an accurate representation of WH40k with steamworks-supported online play than sink the god-knows how much money and time into the shit i'd need to get started, only to learn that I don't have anybody to play with

Unless you count some assbackwards comic store in Macon that would probably be into that shit.

Well, something makes me think that there is at least one WH40k plugin for LackeyCCG, but don't quote me on that.

*quote*

I think that was Vassal40k, right? Shit, all of these brilliant simulators are sued off the face of the internet so that Shogun GW can continue to manufacture it's holy-shit-expensive figurines made of GLORIOUS NIPPON PLASTICS

Honestly, I think right now i'd go for to-the-point videos of 40k games, instead of these long drawn-out affairs filmed by babby-faced amateurs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: September 14, 2014, 11:43:53 pm »

The plugin for Vassal is just a WH40k extension for the virtual tabletop, I'm fairly sure; you still have to actually know the rules and do all the dice rolling yourself. Not quite a video game adaptation.

Based on videos of the actual tabletop game in action, I'd be bored to tears with the real-world game. Give me a flashy graphical adaptation that does all the rule-checking and dice rolling for me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: September 15, 2014, 02:50:16 am »

The Battlefleet gothic Vassal plugin is great as well - slightly easier to get to grips with as you can just have like '2 on 2' battle. I just wish someone could make some sort of AI, and a slightly better interface with some automation.

Such a shame that GW is so ridiculous about their copyright. I get that copyright is important for a lot of companies, but they're definitely at a stage where they could do with drumming up more interest in their IPs, as less and less people are buying the extortionate tabletop stuff and they don't seem to be able to come out with anything particular great.

I'm sacrificing to Khorn daily to try to keep them off Chapter Master.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: September 15, 2014, 06:41:13 am »

I now want a rip off of Dynasty Warriors called Social Justice Warriors.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: September 16, 2014, 12:05:51 am »

Can I be the guy who mows down legions of greasy neckbeards who are offended for the sake of being offended? Please?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 577