Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 956294 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3960 on: May 11, 2014, 06:21:23 am »

Spiritual successor to secret of mana and seiken densetsu 3.

There's Saga of Pandoria in development (one of the devs specifically said it started as a fan-made Secret of Mana game, but changed name for legal reasons). However, it appears to be an over-the-shoulder RPG rather than the isometric/top down view of SoM/SD3. Also not clear whether you can have a party (which I feel is one of the major characteristics of the games, although SD3 took it farther in having a broader selection along with unique powers, specialization, and tying in and affecting the plot to some degree) or how the characters interact.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: May 11, 2014, 09:13:24 pm »

It occurs to me that games like dark souls, fable, and ARPG's in general are the spiritual successors to secret of mana and sd3.  The advent of 3D games fundamentally changed what an RPG like SoM could be and added depth (GET IT?!).  Ocarina of Time only came 3 years after sd3 and did a lot of similar mechanics very, very well.  I think the arrival of the 3d arpg and success of the turn-based FF battles might explain why the Mana IP went in strange directions after SD3.   Heroes of Mana was an RTS on DS.

As an aside, the spritework for SD3 has aged very poorly.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: May 23, 2014, 04:12:00 am »

OK, here's one.

Set in WWII generic European city (France?).

You are in charge of organizing the resistance, such as it is.

Procedurally generated, but not perma-death. You can save.

Top down zoomable map of a living city. What you can see (revealed fog of war) depends on the strength of your spy network. People go about their business in a natural way, with the occupying forces behaving intelligently to what develops.

Real time, but with the day-night cycle at an increased speed. Perhaps a twenty to thirty minute cycle.

So the gist of it is that you are very, very much in a weak position in traditional combat terms, but you have the strength of being concealed. What you need above all is to stay one step ahead of the occupying forces in terms of information. Lets say the OF have an informant or a spy operating in an area, collecting intelligence. This information could allow the AI to do things such as set up raids on your safe houses, agents homes, storage dumps etc. But if you find out about the raid before it happens due to your own intelligence sources, then you can get your guys out of harms way in time. Protecting the identities of who is working for you, while at the same time exposing them to measured risk by conducting various activities (spying, recruitment, sabotage, jail breaks etc.) would be a core strategy element. You need to be able to manage your information networks, your agents, your locations, etc. very carefully in order to  stay alive. The game would need to be able to keep track of intelligence data, and who knows what. If an agent visits a safe house, that means they know where it is. Which also means that if they are a turn-coat, or are tortured, they can reveal that information. Knowing who you can trust with what information may hinge on how well you can judge their character based on their behavior, or little tells. If you suspect somebody, you might even set up a trap by allowing them to see a fake safe-house, and then watching it to see if it is raided. Isolating and testing elements of your group, suspecting your own people, is a kind of puzzle-like element that could also make use Papers Please style spot-the-difference kind of mechanics.

Being able to zoom in close enough to see the characters in the game world would be very desirable from an immersion stand-point. Rather than an abstract, more pure tactical challenge, you are trying to go for a feel of oppression and gloom in the face of seriously challenging odds. This can then heighten the pleasure gained from successfully screwing over the OF with your well-executed attacks/tricks. Imagine the panic of seeing a truck pull up unexpected out the front of an important agents house, and watching as soldiers pile out and kick down the door before you are able to react. Or perhaps with seconds to spare you are able to get him out the back door, only to then have to try and navigate him through alleyways to a nearby safe-house all while wondering if he is being tailed.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:18:20 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: May 23, 2014, 04:26:57 am »

All this cloak-and-dagger talk made me remember how much I want a remake of Covert Action :<
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: May 23, 2014, 04:33:50 am »

What I want is a true assassination game, similar to Hitman: Blood Money.
Just a bit more complex, a bit more options and so on..

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: May 23, 2014, 04:50:43 am »

I had this sudden idea for a sort of cybernetic ninja/assassin game where the character has some kind of ability to view the immediate future in the form of a network of interacting probability "threads."

The assassin part is done like a traditional action game, third person 3d, with parkour, melee, ranged attacks, maybe some environmental elements as well.  The usual stuff.  The future-sight and probability web is done through a real-time active pause system and a planning interface that allows for inputting moves ahead of time and simulating their results.

Something like a third person action Frozen Synapse.  You pause the game to plan your moves ahead of time, simulate them out, and play them, with the opportunity to go back and alter your plans as different elements become apparent.

Then just like Frozen Synapse or Trials or Super Meat Boy or Hotline Miami, once you've played out a dozen different iterations of a mission and failed each time, suddenly everything comes together for a kickass scene where your cyberninja fights his way through the compound, kills the target, and escapes without a scratch, his movements so practiced and perfect it's like he knew ahead of time exactly what to do (because, due to his cyberbrain, he did!)

So basically like a cross between Hotline Miami and Frozen Synapse with a futuristic aesthetic.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:54:56 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: May 23, 2014, 05:02:38 am »

"Mark of the Ninja"? Its got puzzles along with watching guard patrol routes, keeping in shadows and disposing of bodies.

"E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy" is a FPS where you play as an assassin of different classes, using different methods like hacking, sniping, teleporting and mind control to dispose of enemies. It's kind of got a Warhammer 40,000 grim/gothic futuristic style. I don't think it's very compelling in terms of story but the concept seems interesting.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: May 23, 2014, 06:08:00 am »

The Frozen Synapse elements are more important than the assassin elements as far as the game goes.

Mark of the Ninja was one of the games I thought of though. Those kind of faster-paced, very transparent stealth and combat mechanics but in 3d and with the planning interface on top of it.

The point of the game being to create cinematic sequences.  All the time that goes into a run through Frozen Synapse or Super Meat Boy or Hotline Miami or Dustforce or a similar trial and error game like that culminates in a replay (well not all of them have replay features but they should) that shows your character executing the mission in a choreographed and cinematically appealing way.
Shoes...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: May 23, 2014, 08:22:07 am »

I want Mirror's Edge done as a team deathmatch. Brink doesn't count, it sucked. But yeah, basically, a bunch of large, open maps in the art style of ME preferably, with two teams of parkourers with small arms thrown in.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: May 23, 2014, 05:14:13 pm »

Okay, here's a thought:

In many RPGs the cleric or healer class is restricted to blunt weapons. Some say this is because of an oath to do no harm, or even the Hypocrates oath. But blunt weapons can still cause significant injury.
And so I thought: Then why let them have weapons at all?
So I had an idea: a roguelike where you play a healer, but you can't attack or cause direct or indirect harm to others. Higher difficulty levels would require you to heal any injured monster you come across, or even to ensure that as few creatures die as possible.

...Then again, it could also be a self-imposed challenge for nethack or something. XD
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: May 23, 2014, 07:13:11 pm »

Okay, here's a thought:

In many RPGs the cleric or healer class is restricted to blunt weapons. Some say this is because of an oath to do no harm, or even the Hypocrates oath. But blunt weapons can still cause significant injury.
And so I thought: Then why let them have weapons at all?
So I had an idea: a roguelike where you play a healer, but you can't attack or cause direct or indirect harm to others. Higher difficulty levels would require you to heal any injured monster you come across, or even to ensure that as few creatures die as possible.

...Then again, it could also be a self-imposed challenge for nethack or something. XD

It actually wasn't about harming, but about specifically spilling blood. Blunt weapons would create internal trauma instead of piercing through the skin, so blood would have no way of getting out. Even then, it is a myth.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: May 23, 2014, 07:17:47 pm »

Playing nethack without taking actions that result in death is... well.  In all the crazy nethack runs I've heard of (no eating, no praying is a pretty average one), I've never heard anyone even try that one.

You couldn't level up, you couldn't clear enemies out of your path, you would almost certainly use items faster than you gained them. You couldn't have powerful pets because those kill EVERYTHING.  And nethack spawns enemies regardless of whether you kill them, so the levels would slowly fill up.

I mean you could do it, but it would be more "how far can I get" and less "I'm going to win this".
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: May 24, 2014, 10:05:23 am »

Well, depends on how strict the "no indirect harm to others" is - yeah if that includes pets, that shuts down the main way around "no direct harm" that the pacifist run usually uses: http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Pacifist

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: May 24, 2014, 04:56:34 pm »

I wish for an RPG based entirely on music. The combat would be primarily based on the party fighting with the power of music, and the battle music would change depending on what instruments everyone was wielding.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: May 26, 2014, 11:32:30 am »

Pokemon but with pet rock instead of Pokemon.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 577