Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 238933 times)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #3405 on: August 23, 2013, 04:31:02 pm »

It's for the laning and team fights, where Riki can diffusal the dust off of himself.
I know how to counter him.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: August 23, 2013, 04:35:43 pm »

It's for the laning and team fights, where Riki can diffusal the dust off of himself.
I know how to counter him.
he means for techies I think
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: August 23, 2013, 04:37:42 pm »

Right, my fault  :P

My hatred towards low trench players with 100+ games clouded my reading abilities.

Just regular wards and control over Techies placement will help a lot. Same with space cow and pudge. These heroes lead to the same results, albeit via different means. Vision counters them all.
Mariana has no vision.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: August 23, 2013, 04:52:09 pm »

Didn't notice the conversation had moved away from Techies and onto other invisible things, I would've specified otherwise.  :(

Most of the 'pubstomp' heroes, meaning those that are awesome in pub games and rare-to-unheard-of in pro games, are countered by vision and map awareness (which depends on vision). The reason for this is obvious: most pub players have terrible map awareness and usually don't buy wards/don't place them intelligently.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: August 26, 2013, 09:39:42 pm »

BWAHAHAHA!

Had a hilarious moment today. Was playing Razor and I had Aghs at about 20 minutes. I also ran into an invis rune, which I bottled.

I'm sure you can see what I'm going with this hehehehehehehe.

That poor KotL. There was nothing he could do. By the time he realized I was zapping him he was already dead hahaha! I'm definitely buying Shadow Blade on him next time.

This is that game. Was also an all-carry game: http://dotabuff.com/matches/288290080

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: August 26, 2013, 10:42:18 pm »

55% win rate and still all carry teams? *shrugs*

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: August 26, 2013, 10:52:54 pm »

Very common in all random.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:35 pm »

I enjoy playing Pudge. I guess it's mainly because I can hook fairly well.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: August 27, 2013, 08:17:08 pm »

I wish I could get a 50% winrate. I'm stuck in the awkward 49.9% area.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: August 27, 2013, 10:13:19 pm »

Remember: when matchmaking is doing its job correctly, you should have a 50% win rate.  ;)

(Technically, anything else indicates either a failure of the matchmaking system, or suggests that you're constantly grouping with other players with a lower rating.)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: August 27, 2013, 10:26:23 pm »

Here:
Just to clarify, there was never any “win rate” calculation. Ever. It is true that a goal of matchmaking is to make even teams, so that the odds of the Radiant winning any given match is 50%. The matchmaker also will raise your Elo and try to put you in players of equivalent skill, which indirectly tries to get the win rate to 50%. However, it has never looked at your historical win rate and, for example, put you in a game where it knew that you were expected to lose, to end a winning streak, or given you a stomp to end a losing streak.

More info here (this was two months ago): http://dotametrics.wordpress.com/2013/07/19/valve-employee-comments-on-matchmaking/

Winrate is basically an irrelevant measure. I only bring it up occasionally because I'm quite proud of it and it's currently the only publicly available stat really. Pretty sure the matchmaking is broken regardless but that's just a universally accepted fact. Hell, I just finished a game where I had a Zeus who had only just completed the tutorial in the same match as an Invoker spamming out every single spell like Dendi. This was a regular solo queue game. Just gotta roll with it. Either way no one really cares if you have a shitty winrate unless they're self-absorbed loons who think they know how to play.

Also known as the guys who go "GG" when they see a Russian on their team or Windrunner buys a Dagon.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: August 27, 2013, 10:38:18 pm »

Yeah, sorry, should've been more clear. The matchmaker strives to put you in games where you have a 50% chance of winning. Past games determine your matchmaking rating (which is probably similar to ELO), but whether you have a 55% or 45% win rate, the engine still tries to put you in even games where you have a 50% chance of winning.

And yeah, honestly, win rate is a bullshit stat. I could get a massive win rate easily by finding a few low-tier players and grouping with them... or by just smurfing with a new account. Ultimately, it's a game - your focus should be on having fun, with winning being a nice side-objective.  :D

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: August 27, 2013, 10:49:45 pm »

Anyways...Is there anyway to do well as Pudge early if the enemy team obsessively wards?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:10 pm »

Anyways...Is there anyway to do well as Pudge early if the enemy team obsessively wards?

Engage in fights, go blink, keep the enemy honest in the jungle?  Basically play real dota instead of cheesy, gank early and win cause you are fed dota.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: August 27, 2013, 10:57:45 pm »

Pudge can't get blink dagger, but smoke is fun if they forget sentries and you can always force staff through the tree line.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 246