Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 238981 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #3285 on: August 11, 2013, 03:22:44 pm »

Has anyone tried abaddon with eye of skadi yet?

Are you another one of those Abba carries? Don't do that.

Seconded. Abaddon is a great support, but he's a mediocre carry. Limited farming skills (Shield is a mediocre farming nuke), and isn't really able to use that farm. I liken him to a Vengeful Spirit carry - sure, you've got some abilities that let you carry... but your abilities are equally good for supporting an allied carry. For VS, Aura + Howl + stun is perfectly useful for boosting up an allied carry's damage. For Abaddon, Shield is as useful for allies as yourself, Curse is equally useful for your teammates, and Coil is only really beneficial for others. His 'carry' potential stems entirely from the team-wide Curse and his ulti, which is highly threatening until your opponents grow a second brain cell and buy an Euls.

He'd be an awesome aggressive trilane support - his skills are amazing for aggressive allies (Shield at level 1 is ridiculous), and with a reliable ranged stunner (Ogre Magi, maybe?) you've got the makings of a terrifying tri. But he really doesn't get much from farming.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: August 11, 2013, 03:32:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 04:15:10 pm by ranter »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: August 11, 2013, 05:07:10 pm »

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:21:49 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: August 11, 2013, 05:24:46 pm »

Pity, I got bumped back down to normal bracket due to a lose streak. I guess the only way to get ahead is to play hard carry.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: August 11, 2013, 05:28:14 pm »

I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: August 11, 2013, 05:32:04 pm »

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: August 11, 2013, 05:33:25 pm »

I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: August 11, 2013, 05:58:50 pm »

So... since my League of Legends account got most likely corrupted (i transfered my account some time ago from NA to EU:NE and now i can log into every server OTHER than NA and EU:NE... i could start anew in EU West but i'm not really thrilled about LoL anymore... especially since i can lose everything in a blink of an eye).

So here i am asking people about the other "Aeon of Strife" ripoff called DotA 2.

1 - Does it have a similar to LoL metagame (didn't really like the metagame in LoL since it boxed you into either building several weaker runesets at once or playing only one type of champion (that uses the runes you currently have)

2 - Do they have the same insane pace of constantly adding new champions?

3 - Is the dwarven sharpshooter availble/good? (He and the lone druid were the only heroes i ever played in DotA and i liked the shooter more).

4 - Are the items and heroes more or less identical compared to DotA1?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: August 11, 2013, 06:07:10 pm »

So... since my League of Legends account got most likely corrupted (i transfered my account some time ago from NA to EU:NE and now i can log into every server OTHER than NA and EU:NE... i could start anew in EU West but i'm not really thrilled about LoL anymore... especially since i can lose everything in a blink of an eye).

So here i am asking people about the other "Aeon of Strife" ripoff called DotA 2.

1 - Does it have a similar to LoL metagame (didn't really like the metagame in LoL since it boxed you into either building several weaker runesets at once or playing only one type of champion (that uses the runes you currently have)

2 - Do they have the same insane pace of constantly adding new champions?

3 - Is the dwarven sharpshooter availble/good? (He and the lone druid were the only heroes i ever played in DotA and i liked the shooter more).

4 - Are the items and heroes more or less identical compared to DotA1?

1. only runes in dota is are in the river
2. new hero comes out 2 every 6 months or so
3. Sniper pretty good in a pub but you have no escape tell you get your shadow blade
4. Yes only thing different are the names lothars to shadow blade, etc   
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:13:48 pm by Alkhemia »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: August 11, 2013, 06:19:51 pm »

Hmm well i actually liked the idea of tying runes to mobs in the jungle since grabbing them in early game was far riskier.
Do the runes at least have a visible spawn timer or everyone has to either use stopwatches or mods like in the original?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: August 11, 2013, 06:23:21 pm »

Hmm well i actually liked the idea of tying runes to mobs in the jungle since grabbing them in early game was far riskier.
Do the runes at least have a visible spawn timer or everyone has to either use stopwatches or mods like in the original?
There are 2 spots they can spawn and it every 2 min.
Here if you want to play dota watch some of this the grand final of the international is about to start  http://www.twitch.tv/dota2ti?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=www.joindota.com should give you a nice idea.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: August 11, 2013, 06:32:09 pm »

More like 2 months, Alkhemia. 6 months for a new hero, and people would Riot!(hehe)
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: August 11, 2013, 06:33:15 pm »

More like 2 months, Alkhemia. 6 months for a new hero, and people would Riot!(hehe)
for real new heroes not just ports like oracle and the earth spirit 

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: August 11, 2013, 06:36:01 pm »

If this was Reddit, I'd point you to the standard 'LoL -> Dota 2' guide right here. To directly answer your questions:

• There are no 'runesets' in Dota. More precisely, there is no customization done outside the game. You do not need to acquire runes, you will not be locked into a particular playstyle based on the runes you have chosen. Every player in Dota 2 is equal. (You also have access to every hero in the game, right from the start.)
    There is a metagame, but it shifts constantly. Currently, most pub games use a 2-1-2 split, with one hero in mid and two on each sidelane. Pros often use a 1-1-3 split, with three heroes on the safelane, but you'll also see 3-1-1 trilanes with the focus on countering the opponent's trilane, as well as lineups with a jungle hero. It's very diverse, and we've started to see shifts coming out of TI3 showing up in pub matches.
  • New heroes are being added at a slow pace. Most of these are heroes that were present in DotA 1 and haven't been ported over yet. The full list is here. After ~10(?) years, Dota 1 has incorporated 112 heroes, which gives you an idea of the generally slow rate. (Since heroes don't have to be purchased, Icefrog/Valve have no financial incentive to constantly release new heroes!)
  • Sniper's actually a really tough hero to play. He relies entirely on positioning - with no escape and low health, he's dead if he's caught out of position for even a second. That said, he's got a massive potential damage output. Lone Druid is also considered pretty tough. As for the metagame: Sniper doesn't usually show up on the top-tier, but can be played well in pub-games. Lone Druid is often a second-round pick, especially for some players (AdmiralBulldog is famous for his amazing LD play).
  • The only differences are cosmetic. The lore has changed, along with many of the names, to avoid Blizzard's copyrighted material. (Notably, Valve has almost always kept the same acronym - the old Obsidian Destroyer is now Outworld Devourer, both abbreviated OD.) Likewise, items have on occasion been renamed, but remain the same in function.
    I'd like to point out that the original WC3 map is still actively developed, with balance patches being released for both at the same time. No idea yet when support for DotA 1 will be dropped. Also, any discrepancies between WC3 DotA and Dota 2 are considered bugs by the dev team, meaning the game is almost identical in mechanics and numbers alike.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:47:50 pm by Thexor »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: August 11, 2013, 06:55:31 pm »

This draft from navi should be good.

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 246