Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 240122 times)

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #3000 on: July 11, 2013, 12:19:19 am »

So I just started playing today. So far the game is fun except I keep dying at the end. Should I spend my upgrades on attributes or on the power up things?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: July 11, 2013, 12:33:37 am »

So I just started playing today. So far the game is fun except I keep dying at the end. Should I spend my upgrades on attributes or on the power up things?
Have you tried playing through the tutorial yet? It's rather informative for players new to Dota.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: July 11, 2013, 12:42:41 am »

Have you tried playing through the tutorial yet? It's rather informative for players new to Dota.

I second this - it's an awesome resource for new players. Plus, you get free items from the tutorial! Who doesn't like free stuff?

To answer your question: most heroes should be spending their points on skills, not attributes. There are exceptions (Skeleton King often gets one level of attributes, since early on his Vampiric Aura is actually detrimental, Mortal Strike isn't worth leveling past 1, and his nuke is very expensive for someone with his... questionable intelligence), but 99% of heroes benefit from their abilities far more than a couple of stat points.

If you've finished with the tutorial, I'd suggest reading Purge's guide for new players. There are literally dozens of guides for new players, but Purge's is the one most people link to.  :)

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: July 11, 2013, 12:57:36 am »

For some reason it stopped giving me the tutorial.  So I went to play online. The first game went ok and I had 11 Kills and 12 deaths. The second game I got killed 5 times in a row and my teammates told me to leave or they'd report me. So I left.  Is that the kind of atmosphere this game fosters?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: July 11, 2013, 01:10:28 am »

Long story short: there are jerks. It's an online game, and unlike many online games it's painfully obvious when someone on the team is having a bad game. In an online shooter, you tend to notice your teammates less, and there's no penalty to just leaving the server if you're doing poorly. In Dota 2, you'll be spending ~40 minutes or more with your team, and it becomes really obvious when someone isn't pulling their weight.

If you're feeling discouraged, try the following (in order):

* Finish the tutorial. You can always click the "Go on a training mission" to resume the tutorial. I strongly recommend playing every part of the tutorial at least once - it's a big help.

* Mute the offending players. Remember that guide I linked above? There's a reason the location and use of the Mute button is one of the first things it teaches you.  ;)
Players can still report you, but frankly, it's not a huge deal if you get reported. Admittedly this won't help you improve, but practice is the best way to get better, and it's hard to practice when people are bitching at you!

* Play co-op matches. Co-op bot matches pit 5 human players versus 5 bots. If you pick Medium difficulty or lower, you'll probably be able to steamroll the bots. It's a great way to learn how to play if you really want human teammates.

* Play a few solo matches versus bots. There are a bunch of advantages here (you can customize your opponent's skill level, you can leave at any time without penalty). Of course, you should have gone through 5 bot matches as part of the tutorial, but this is a nice resource if you've finished the tutorial and want a slightly higher challenge.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #3005 on: July 11, 2013, 02:33:17 am »

* Play a few solo matches versus bots. There are a bunch of advantages here (you can customize your opponent's skill level, you can leave at any time without penalty). Of course, you should have gone through 5 bot matches as part of the tutorial, but this is a nice resource if you've finished the tutorial and want a slightly higher challenge.

That and the lack of a small hero pool. Seriously, where was Venomancer in that pick?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: July 11, 2013, 03:02:00 am »

He's here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: July 11, 2013, 03:40:40 am »

Is that ping display continuous? If so, how do you get the game to show that? I'd like to be able to monitor my ping without having to manually type in -ping over and over again.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: July 11, 2013, 04:47:45 am »

Is that ping display continuous? If so, how do you get the game to show that? I'd like to be able to monitor my ping without having to manually type in -ping over and over again.

net_graph 1, assuming it's identical to all the other online source engine games (and I have no reason to assume it isn't).

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: July 11, 2013, 04:50:50 am »

net_graph 1, assuming it's identical to all the other online source engine games (and I have no reason to assume it isn't).
yeah that the code just put it in the launch options -net_graph 1 
or turn on the console and put it in there
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: July 11, 2013, 05:05:33 am »

Long story short: there are jerks. It's an online game, and unlike many online games it's painfully obvious when someone on the team is having a bad game. In an online shooter, you tend to notice your teammates less, and there's no penalty to just leaving the server if you're doing poorly. In Dota 2, you'll be spending ~40 minutes or more with your team, and it becomes really obvious when someone isn't pulling their weight.

* Finish the tutorial. You can always click the "Go on a training mission" to resume the tutorial. I strongly recommend playing every part of the tutorial at least once - it's a big help.

* Mute the offending players. Remember that guide I linked above? There's a reason the location and use of the Mute button is one of the first things it teaches you.  ;)
Players can still report you, but frankly, it's not a huge deal if you get reported. Admittedly this won't help you improve, but practice is the best way to get better, and it's hard to practice when people are bitching at you!

* Play co-op matches. Co-op bot matches pit 5 human players versus 5 bots. If you pick Medium difficulty or lower, you'll probably be able to steamroll the bots. It's a great way to learn how to play if you really want human teammates.

I'd also suggest playing single draft. It allows (forces) you to get acquainted with a lot of heroes and there's a fair chance your opponents aren't using their best hero.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: July 11, 2013, 05:07:02 am »

I'd also suggest playing single draft. It allows (forces) you to get acquainted with a lot of heroes and there's a fair chance your opponents aren't using their best hero.
Single draft is my mode of choice since you get a real team comp and not team 5 carry

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: July 11, 2013, 05:13:28 am »

One day you'll have to chose between Meepo, Wisp and Invoker.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: July 11, 2013, 05:16:58 am »

One day you'll have to chose between Meepo, Wisp and Invoker.
hmm my wisp has a 80% win rate and invoker is fun, not as fun as chen but still fun.  :P
but the heroes I like to play are not really the norm Chen/Medusa/Gyro/Tinker/Ta/OD

If you want to see a good meepo watch some Qpad.Wagamama http://dotabuff.com/matches/239426670 1,251 xpm

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:39:05 am by Alkhemia »

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: July 11, 2013, 05:51:22 am »

I don't, i'm just saying that he might get unlucky, and get three classes that he shouldn't play at all right now. Pay attention.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 246