Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239805 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #2115 on: March 14, 2013, 12:19:01 pm »

When was the last time you saw a Veil of Discord? Honestly. The only time I ever got one was as a Lina with Agh's (two kills in the first two minutes on the mid sniper, gg haha.)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 14, 2013, 01:43:48 pm »

When was the last time you saw a Veil of Discord? Honestly. The only time I ever got one was as a Lina with Agh's (two kills in the first two minutes on the mid sniper, gg haha.)
Quite often.

Zeus, Undying, Leshrac, etc. are all pretty common carriers of it. Sand King almost always gets it unless he is bad at maths. I just like to pick it up because it gives good armour and regen while boosting all my spells a big amount for such a cheap price.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 14, 2013, 02:08:08 pm »

I think it's a decent item, I've just NEVER seen it on anyone bar myself.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: March 14, 2013, 02:43:36 pm »

Huh... I have a DOTA2 gift that I've left unanswered for the past few months...

If I do accept it... can I just play and do 'watevah' in pug games and still be fine? 
Or the more appropriate question: How much rage will I catch if I do that?

No, I don't care to be 'competitive' if/when I do finally try this out...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: March 14, 2013, 03:00:32 pm »

If you want to just jump in without any knowledge then you will get a LOT of rage in pubs (stay in bot games forever). If you have read and are somehow interested in learning you wont be raged at a lot on pubs. It depends on the efort you put in learning and the basic knowledge you bring to the table basically.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: March 14, 2013, 03:31:46 pm »

Bot games are good though. The AI is pretty up there and if you're learning they can give you a real good challenge even on normal. About 80% of the games I play are bot games on hard simply because it's quite fun and you get to experiment to your hearts content. The only reason why I do so well in All Random is simply because of all the practice I get in bot games with all the heroes.

Jumping straight into random pub games with no knowledge of how the game works is akin to trying to learn how to play Dwarf Fortress without using the Wiki or guides.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: March 14, 2013, 03:38:38 pm »

To some extent, yes, except in DF you don't have a horde of other people insulting you and trying to report you for game violations just because you don't know exactly what you're doing.

I'm actually fairly impressed with the bot AI, that they've managed to put together something that can show a semblance of comprehension when faced with as complex and often not-common-sense game like Dota.  On some levels, they're pretty good at what they do, and their reactions and stun chaining are better than pretty much any actual people you might encounter (even including you, umi, and your asian micro), but on the other hand they can be hysterically stupid at times and on the harder difficulties you basically have to babysit the entirety of your team if they're bots, otherwise they will enter into a feeding loop and lose you the game.

I've played a handful of pub matches now, and while I still can't call myself good I can at least hold my own to some extent (unless I roll Spectre or Visage or something).  But regardless of actual skill, I can at least face up to losing a match and I also don't feel the need to either blame everyone else for my failings or throw a temper tantrum if I think others on my team are doing poorly.

There are some strange people out there...

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: March 14, 2013, 04:59:13 pm »

The problem with veil is that bkb renders it completely useless, and bkb it's an usual pick, so...

And about getting into dota2, My advice is that you
- Look into some guides to get a few tips about what and what not to do. If you don't you'll end up dying at level 1 before creeps spawn trying to kill a tower by yourself. Or using laguna blade to flash farm creeps.
- Abuse the mute button. Best thing ever for your sanity.
- Try single draft instead of all pick. All pick is full of pubstomp heroes, like ursa or riki, all random will end up giving you meepo, visage, chen, ta and aa, random draft maybe, but chances are that you'll end up on a bad spot thanks to a lack of knowledge of team composition, CM simply no and least played means nothing when people only have played 10 matches
- For god sake remap the items hotkeys. The default one is AWFUL.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: March 14, 2013, 07:14:10 pm »

The problem with veil is that bkb renders it completely useless, and bkb it's an usual pick, so...

And about getting into dota2, My advice is that you
- Look into some guides to get a few tips about what and what not to do. If you don't you'll end up dying at level 1 before creeps spawn trying to kill a tower by yourself. Or using laguna blade to flash farm creeps.
- Abuse the mute button. Best thing ever for your sanity.
- Try single draft instead of all pick. All pick is full of pubstomp heroes, like ursa or riki, all random will end up giving you meepo, visage, chen, ta and aa, random draft maybe, but chances are that you'll end up on a bad spot thanks to a lack of knowledge of team composition, CM simply no and least played means nothing when people only have played 10 matches
- For god sake remap the items hotkeys. The default one is AWFUL.

-Yes on guides. Especially videos where they're explaining stuff.
-Mute is optional but some players do definitely need it.
-Single draft is awesome for those stated reasons
-I love the z,x,c,v item hotkeys  :( (and don't usually need more than 4)
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: March 14, 2013, 07:35:21 pm »

Another thing of note is to find friends to play with, the game is a lot more enjoyable with even 1 more person on your side that isn't a pubber. Having more than that only makes it better.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: March 14, 2013, 07:45:07 pm »

Lol kagus... I'd be the first to tell you that the bots have better skills than me

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: March 14, 2013, 08:13:18 pm »

Lol kagus... I'd be the first to tell you that the bots have better skills than me

I don't think that's true. :) Sure, the bots have pinpoint reactions and such, but their decision making process can be a bit stunted. For example, Tiny once tried to gank Sniper - he ran up to Sniper, taking large amounts of damage. He actually gets to Sniper, and, if he avalanche - tossed, would have killed him. Instead, as he is now at 1/3 of his life he posts "I'm Out" and turns around which obviously gets him killed.

Stuff like this is what leads to the 'feeding loop' - I feel that if in a bot game (you and 9 bots) one side gets a slight advantage it always snowballs. Also, watch out for Bot Viper - the other bots can't handle and he'll have a Butterfly at Lvl 25 20 minutes in. (I've seen it happen at least twice.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: March 14, 2013, 08:15:20 pm »

Generic summoned units (Necro units, Illusions, etc) now have basic bot AIs, so they can act independently from their owner.

I'm guessing this refers to bot-summoned units :V

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: March 14, 2013, 11:23:27 pm »

Generic summoned units (Necro units, Illusions, etc) now have basic bot AIs, so they can act independently from their owner.

I'm guessing this refers to bot-summoned units :V
Yeah. It'd be pretty silly if they were for player controlled units. They already autoattack the closest target when they spawn. If they started doing their own thing when I expect them to do something else, it'd be pretty weird.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 14, 2013, 11:34:39 pm »

Speaking of that, I got on a new computer and tried playing this.

Goddamn, auto attack is on by default? I knew to turn that off when I started playing, clearly, because I don't remember that ever being on!
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 246