Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239789 times)

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #2100 on: March 12, 2013, 12:23:49 pm »

The problem with ursa isn't as much getting close to people as to people staying put so you can hug them. Also, it gives a pretty nice boost to HP (thus more damage) and enough int to solve most of your mana problems (You still need a little boost, like a sobi mask, to have enough mana regen). Blink gives no stats and force staff gives less int while being too imprecise to close gaps properly. Add a basher and a bkb for complete destruction of the enemy.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: March 12, 2013, 01:32:02 pm »

Anyone have a spare copy of this kicking around somewhere? I heard that occasionally people get a bundle of copies for no known reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: March 12, 2013, 01:39:12 pm »

Anyone have a spare copy of this kicking around somewhere? I heard that occasionally people get a bundle of copies for no known reason.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dota2bot

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: March 12, 2013, 01:48:47 pm »

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dota2bot

Thanks!

EDIT: Although it seems my laptop is going to outright refuse to run the game and shut down during the tutorial, even on what I am assuming is the lowest graphics options, since I couldn't find an option to turn them down. I guess it's overheating or something, not sure why.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:32:58 pm by Bronimin »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: March 12, 2013, 02:36:53 pm »

The problem with ursa isn't as much getting close to people as to people staying put so you can hug them. Also, it gives a pretty nice boost to HP (thus more damage) and enough int to solve most of your mana problems (You still need a little boost, like a sobi mask, to have enough mana regen). Blink gives no stats and force staff gives less int while being too imprecise to close gaps properly. Add a basher and a bkb for complete destruction of the enemy.

This build relies on a lot of farm, but yeah, it is pretty damn effective. I forgot RoA actually gave INT and that Ursa's ulti uses health as a damage addition (herp.)

Basher with Overpower must be pretty sick and I can see why you'd pick it. Possibly a S&Y as well for the slow?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: March 12, 2013, 03:18:29 pm »

Ursa likes basically any non-orb effect, especially ones that keep the other guy close enough for you to Overpower them repeatedly.  ;)

Sange is nice, since it's very likely to proc at some point during your overpower flurry. Build it into S&Y for extra move speed (ganks), or Halberd if you have to go toe-to-toe with the enemy carry (evasion + disable).

Basher's also neat, and has a good build-up into Abyssal. Blink in with Dagger, Overpower will almost certainly trigger a bash, then use the blade's active to disable while you use Overpower again.

Both of these are pretty aggressive, though, which is why a lot of Ursas get Vlads if survivability is an issue.

Atos sounds interesting, I'll admit - mana and HP are both awesome for Ursa. Problem is, it costs 3100, almost 1k more than BD or Force Staff, so you need to spend more time farming before you can start initiating into ganks. And assuming the other team starts moving together at some point, Atos becomes largely useless for initation. (That may not be a safe assumption in your average pub, though!)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: March 12, 2013, 03:23:06 pm »

Good points! :D Didn't think about HH, that's a good idea if you have to out - carry someone. I'd probably exchange Vlad's for a MoM though - go big or go home! XD

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: March 12, 2013, 04:01:40 pm »

Heh, I stopped playing DotA 1 before HH was implemented (or at least I never noticed it). Show up in DotA 2, and suddenly *BAM* Strength evasion item with a carry-killing disable. As a result, I almost never think about HH until I think about "what's Sange useful for again?".  :o

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: March 12, 2013, 05:04:08 pm »

The thing is that ursa is not an initiator. Yeah, earthshock is a pretty good slow, but it isn't as freaking good as thunder clap or ECHO SLAM. And while he might build beefy, he hasn't got a sick armor like other agi carries due to it's average agi gain. That's why I consider blink dagger garbage on him. Yeah, you catch people, but they keep running. And no stats for 2150g is just not worth it. And we should also mention that the mana cost of blink drains his mana pool pretty quick. Its as big as the cost of overpower.

Force staff is only 750 g more than atos, but 1000g of that go only on the recipe. While it has more potential uses than atos, it gives you no damage, half the intelligence, less chasing ability and just about the same survivability. Also, atos slow is on a 16 sec cd, 4 less than force staff.

Also, you can initiate on one guy pretty well with atos. That thing has an ENORMOUS range.

By the way, MoM lifesteal doesn't work with fury swipes, they are both orb effects.

My build is usually tranquils, vlad+brown boots for early rosh, atos, phase boots and then whatever is needed (usually bkb or basher, but the last game I had to go with linkens -> bkb as a personal fuck you to the enemy bane)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:23:30 pm by ranter »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: March 12, 2013, 05:30:22 pm »

I was mainly going for MoM for the increased attack speed between overpowers, but that's a good point I suppose. :)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: March 12, 2013, 06:23:06 pm »

Ursa is really flexible in item choices I think. He can get a whole bunch of stuff and it really depends on what he needs for each match. I think the mistake is buying the same things over and over again thinking it will work.

Here's an example of my thought process from a recent game:
"Randomed..... Ursa.... Goddammit! What's the enemy got? Oh my god... Bane? Shadow Shaman? Dark Seer? Meepo? Slark!? How am I going to do anything oh my god!!! Every single one of those guys has a way to completely shut me down and run away with no problems!

Right.

Well, I'll just jungle anyway. La de da jungling... what the fuck? Where did my hard camp go? Wait. Where's Dark Seer? GODDAMMIT!!! Stop counterjungling me oh my god he's ganking me arhgghghhgh OH GOD SHADOW SHAMAN ajknafsiudasdfu  FUCK YOU BAAAAANEEEEE"

So. As you can probably guess I was getting destroyed. I think I was telling my friend that I might be lucky enough to get a 20 minute Vlads (you're supposed to have it by 10 minutes at the latest; 7 is good). I died about 4 times before 15 minutes for obvious reasons.

The reason I bring this up is because in situations like this I obviously can't go for things like Blink Dagger or even Phase Boots first. I couldn't even finish building a Vlads. However, I obviously couldn't try to just go for early game or cheap items since it wouldn't make a difference. The enemy had at least 5 ways to completely shut me down and obliterate me. No amount of mobility would help as the moment I appeared I was basically dead. Clearly in this particular situation, I had to go max out anti-magic. So I got both a Linken's and a BKB after afk farming for ages (while the enemy went around stomping everyone on my team). There was absolutely no reason for me to join my team as it was suicide, regardless of whether I was a ganker or not.

So in this particular instance, I completely forgo-ed mobility early on for anti-magic rush. And after I got both the items I went godlike, outfarming every single person on the map in both exp and gpm. Pretty impressive considering it took me 20 minutes to build a Vlads.

So I think the same applies for all other Ursa situations. He doesn't really need stats but you should be very adaptable with your item choices. This is why discussions like these on all the different options are important.

Here's the match in question: http://dotabuff.com/matches/124869964

Edit: Completely unrelated but the new intro to Dota 2 top 10 is so damn cool.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: March 13, 2013, 02:04:02 am »

Doublepost!

I'm pretty sure that that dev who said matchmaking is balanced according to the highest ranked player on the premade is completely wrong. Because today I just had Adventures in Newbie Land. Thanks to Twilightwalker who only has 4 wins, everyone we fought against was super new. I mean they were calling Drow Ranger "Ashe". There was a mid Riki! MID RIKI!!! The poor guy had to fight against our Silencer. We went as a trilane to the hard lane and the enemy came into it with no regen, boots first.

It felt pretty brutal.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: March 13, 2013, 12:33:01 pm »

Oh aye, it was brutal. For them. I expected it to be much harder against that team, but even when it was 3v5 and 4v5 bottom we were still steamrolling them.

Also, for:
Now I just need to find some way to build Ancient Apparition. I hate playing that guy so much. Even with Euls I feel so bleh playing him. If I get him it's almost a guaranteed loss. Any ideas?

I give you this as a bit of help

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: March 13, 2013, 04:54:00 pm »

New patch some nice fixes but no new hero again  :'(
GAMEPLAY
- Clinkz: Fixed Death Pact healing Clinkz under Ice Blast debuff.
- Gyrocopter: Fixed Flak Cannon killing couriers.
- Sniper: Fixed Headshot not working on units like Spirit Bear, Warlock's Golem, etc.
- Sniper: Fixed Shrapnel doing slightly less damage than intended to towers.
- Sniper: Fixed Headshot's physical damage bonus being blocked by Magic Immunity.
- Spectre: Added a short grace period to walking off the Spectral Dagger path before collision is restored.
- Spiritbreaker: Fixed Magic Immune units being ignored by the AOE greater bash procs from Charge of Darkness and Scepter Nether Strike.
- Tusk: Fixed some cases where Ice Shards could get units stuck.
- Visage: Fixed a number of incorrect spell interactions with Familiars.
- Wisp: Fixed Tether sometimes ending prematurely if Relocate was cast before Tether.
- Wisp: Fixed Relocating units sometimes walking away to do a previous behavior.
- Fixed Roshan's aoe Slam damage type being physical rather than magical (and thus hurting Familiars).
- Fixed creeps and neutrals sometimes not responding to long range spells.
- Fixed Blink Dagger self-cast to work consistently.
- Fixed Cheese not having a cooldown.
- Fixed Cheese not stacking in inventory.
- Enabled Timbersaw in Captain's Mode in Latest Version (Tournament Version next week).
- Local games are no longer automatically unpaused.

AUDIO
- Added sound effects to the Dashboard.
- Added sound effects for various Tiny deaths.
- Updated Mjollnir sound effect.
- Updated Maelstrom sound effect.

UI
- Items held by the courier are now included in a player's Net Worth.
- Fixed the sorting of Teams List under the Community tab.
- Fixed courier and ward previewing in the backpack.
- Fixed the scrollbar being hidden when a schedule had a full page of tournaments in a single month.
- Live games list now displays the game mode.
- Fiery Soul of the Slayer's custom minimap icon only draws for the player that owns the item.
- Re-positioned end game survey to not block the chat.
- Teams that haven't played a team matchmaking game in the last 7 days will now show up as being "inactive" in WebAPI calls.
- Improved performance of chat channels in the Dashboard.

VISUALS
- Revised overhead Soul Assumption indicator.
- Fixed Smoke of Deceit AOE visual effect showing for enemies if the caster is hidden
- Added in-game models for when the following items are dropped from inventory into the world: Divine Rapier, Healing Salve, Clarity, Dust of Appearance, Bottle, and Bootes of Speed.

BOTS
- Added Lion bot.
- Added Omniknight bot.
- Made a number of adjustments to loadouts and builds based on community feedback.
- Bots now know how to use Rod of Atos, Tranquil Boots, Abyssal Blade, Heaven's Halberd, and Veil of Dischord.
- Bots will no longer go to the Side Shop with a full inventory if they aren't willing to sell anything.
- Generic summoned units (Necro units, Illusions, etc) now have basic bot AIs, so they can act independently from their owner.
- Fixed bots interrupting their teleports.
- Bots will be less aggressive when they have stacks of Sticky Napalm on them.
- Bots will now only use Refresher Orb if they want to cast big ticket abilities.
- Fixed Witch Doctor bot spam-toggling Voodoo Restoration when he simply wanted to activate it.
- Witch Doctor is less likely to use Death Ward on units that are about to die anyways.
- Bots now establish their lanes at 0:15 (changed from 0:30), which makes jungling the initial creep spawn eaiser without confusing them about what lane you're in.
- Bots will no longer go for runes that may or may not be there if it's been a while since their spawn time.
- When there are no wards up, bots are now smarter about only warding the closer rune location.

WORKSHOP
- Added general support for importing any Ability/Spell related model. Currently just supporting Beastmaster Boars.
- Reworked the "View My Submissions" page to better handle a large number of submissions (sorting/pagination/bug fixes).
- Fixed submission preview images not being set correctly.
- Fixed a bug where updating an existing submission could set incorrect tags on the submission.
- Disabled the Workshop in the Test client to prevent confusion.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: March 14, 2013, 12:14:03 pm »

- Bots now know how to use Rod of Atos, Tranquil Boots, Abyssal Blade, Heaven's Halberd, and Veil of Dischord.

And now we can safely say that bots are better at dota2 than your average pub player.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 246