Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239692 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #1800 on: February 06, 2013, 07:19:58 am »

Learning DOTA just by playing matches is like wandering on to a soccer field, never having seen the game, and going "Let's Field some goals guys!"

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: February 06, 2013, 08:13:14 am »

Okay.  I guess I'll report in now.

Played my first game.  I picked Enigma.  Because he looked cool and something something makes minions.

Wandered around a bit.  Some dude told me to "go jungle".  Fortunately, he pinged the map, so I knew where jungle was.  Wandered over there.  Didn't see anything.  Went across the river.  Died to some things on a path off a dead forest area.

Proceeded to dick with the shop.  Couldn't figure out how to use my newly bought items.  Decided to head for one of these towers that are perpetually under attack.  Got killed by another player I assume.

Figured out I needed to be back in the way far ass corner to get my items.  Spawned a donkey and told it to go to the "secret shop".  It got killed.

Apparently I get to control my teammates if they drop.  Like I needed more things to micromanage. 

What the fuck, there are like several dozen pages of shit to buy. 

I guess I kill the NPCs to level up so I can try to not get my ass handed to me by the other team.  Oh, and buy stuff.  And .. do stuff with the bought stuff.

Leveled up my abilities, but they only seemed to annoy whatever I was trying to attack. 

I'll check in again when I decide to brave my second game of DOTA2.

You are one of the bravest men alive.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: February 06, 2013, 10:08:20 am »

wiki dube
Aww, that takes the fun out of it! 

You've got three options as a new player:

* Play a few practice matches with bots. At the very least, there won't be a human team yelling at you, and the bots are reasonably competent. You can learn the basics of the game from this.

* Check out videos on Youtube. There are dozens of good DotA guides available that'll teach you everything from basic to advanced tactics.

* Wait for Valve to release the tutorial. They're actively building towards it, but given Valve Time I wouldn't expect a completed tutorial for a couple of months yet.

It's not an easy game to learn on the fly, unfortunately.  :(
1 - Contemplated that, but I really wanted to have humans yelling at me.  Sadly, not much of that happened.
2 - Again, sucking the fun out of it.  No one wants to walk into something blind anymore.
3 - Was sad to see there was no "hey, this is your first time, have a tutorial" sort of thing.  Or tons of those pop-up hint windows. 

Learning DOTA just by playing matches is like wandering on to a soccer field, never having seen the game, and going "Let's Field some goals guys!"
I think, the next time I hop into a game, I'm going to spout as many DOTA buzzwords as I can to try and sound important.  "Hey guys, let's trilane jungle so we can feeder up and nail thier rax!"

You are one of the bravest men alive.
Not so much bravery as just IDGAF anymore about much of anything.

Perhaps I'll give another swing at this tonight.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: February 06, 2013, 10:57:56 am »

You are personally responsible for the terrible community.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: February 06, 2013, 11:42:11 am »

What's your username? Dota's a lot better with someone who isn't directly hating you on your team.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: February 06, 2013, 01:36:54 pm »

You are personally responsible for the terrible community.
After only one game?  That sucks.  Especially because I really hate responsibility.

What's your username? Dota's a lot better with someone who isn't directly hating you on your team.
Same as here.  Although I'm only around very late nights.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: February 06, 2013, 02:32:53 pm »

1 - Contemplated that, but I really wanted to have humans yelling at me.  Sadly, not much of that happened.
2 - Again, sucking the fun out of it.  No one wants to walk into something blind anymore.
3 - Was sad to see there was no "hey, this is your first time, have a tutorial" sort of thing.  Or tons of those pop-up hint windows. 
In the first few games you are pitted against people like you: Those just playing the game for the first time, and who don't have any clue about anything. They won't yell at you, because pretty much everyone in that bracket is pretty terrible
So you will have to win a few games and get into a better skill bracket before you start to play against people who think they are good enough to yell at you for sucking.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: February 06, 2013, 05:32:07 pm »

New patch No hero though
- Added Team Matchmaking! Teams have a public rating based on their performance against other Teams.
- Added Language setting for Matchmaking!

GAMEPLAY
- Alchemist: Fixed Unstable Concoction AOE and Self impact behavior when there is a Magic Immune target.
- Batrider: Fixed Sticky Napalm being applied to Magic Immune units.
- Batrider: Fixed Sticky Napalm being removed by Magic Immunity.
- Bloodseeker: Fixed Rupture damage interval.
- Bloodseeker: Fixed being able to use potions during Rupture.
- Dark Seer: Fixed Ion Shell being castable on creep heroes.
- Doom: Fixed Doom's interaction with MKB and Truestrike.
- Dragon Knight: Fixed Dragon Breath sometimes missing at very close range in Elder Dragon Form.
- Dragon Knight: Fixed Dragon Breath travel time being too slow.
- Gyrocopter: Fixed Call Down first and second impact slow values being swapped
- Keeper of the Light: Fixed Recall going off if Keeper died during the delay.
- Lone Druid: Fixed Spirit Bear's Entangle working against Ancients and Creep Heroes like Familiars and Warlock's Golem.
- Medusa: Fixed Split Shot hitting Nightmared units.
- Medusa: Fixed Mana Shield not blocking damage from Death Ward, Plague Wards, Serpent Wards and Wildkin's Tornado.
- Morphling: Fixed Morph transformation stopping if Morphling gets purged or cycloned.
- Shadow Fiend: Fixed Shadow Fiend gaining souls while dead
- Shadow Fiend: Fixed Shadow Fiend gaining souls from killing illusions.
- Spectre: Fixed Spectral Dagger sometimes creating invisible paths of targets it hit.
- Troll Warlord: Added Pseudo Random support for his Bash.
- Troll Warlord: Fixed Whirling Axes interaction with Roshan.
- Visage: Fixed Cleave hitting Familiars.
- Warlock: Fixed Flaming Fists hitting ethereal units.
- Weaver: Fixed various buffs Time Lapse did not remove.
- Witch Doctor: Fixed Paralyzing Casks bouncing off of couriers.
- Courier: Fixed courier not responding to deliver orders after having received a hold or stop order.
- Courier: Reduced stash interaction ranges to fix the courier not filling a bottle when entering and exiting the fountain area in a short time.
- Courier: Fixed the Deliver Items breaking if you used speed burst on the way to the stash.
- Fixed direct unit target spells having 24 less effective range.
- Fixed Dark Pact and and Kraken Shell not removing Sticky Napalm, Shadow Strike, Venomous Gale, Poison Nova and Viper Strike.
- Fixed Day/Night cycle duration as well as initial state being a bit off.
- Fixed some ability Backswing timing issues (Kunkka, Clockwerk, Timbersaw, Meepo, Pudge, Spiritbreaker, Sand King, Riki, Nyx, Lion, Pugna, Shadow Demon, Batrider).
- Orb of Venom now has the same stacking behavior with Lifesteal that Eye of Skadi does.
- Fixed Veil of Discord not getting applied to Magic Immune units.
- Fixed Veil of Discord getting dispelled by Purge/BKB/Cyclone/etc.
- Fixed Bloodstone charges incrementing while you are dead.
- Dropped, non-sharable items can no longer be destroyed by teammates.
- Fixed dominated units continuing their previous channeling spell.
- Enabled Silencer in Captain's Mode for Latest Version (will be enabled in Tournament Version the following week).

UI
- Added Language option for Matchmaking. You will find players when matchmaking that have selected the same language(s).
- Fixed buff refreshes not showing the correct swipe.
- Made Keeper's two Spirit Form abilities always visible but just disabled until he uses Spirit Form.
- The dota:// URL handler now supports lobbyid=<lobbyid> and accountid=<accountid> for creating game spectating links.
- Fixed autocast ability border not hiding when moving from a friendly unit to querying an enemy.
- When using smart tab switching, fixed not being able to cycle to controllable units if your currently selected using is dead.
- Players that play on a league game will now have access to that league pass.
- Fixed being able to pick or random an already repicked hero.
- Added an error message when pressing the courier deliver button and there are no items to be delivered.

WEBAPI:
- Added Team query to WebAPI. Query is GetTeamInfoByTeamID, params are start_at_team_id and teams_requested.

LEAGUES:
- Players that participate in Leagues will now have access to watch all games for said league in the tournament tab.

BOTS
- Made Necrolyte bot more likely to use Death Pulse to heal himself.
- When considering purchasing an item and determining whether there's room in their inventory, bots will now consider whether the item will stack with an existing item.
- Bots will no longer sell a situational item in order to retrieve a situational item from their stash (fixes purchase thrashing).
- Witch Doctor will no longer use Maledict on non-hero units.
- Slightly lowered the maximum desire to attack a non-hero unit.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: February 06, 2013, 06:56:16 pm »

Message to pros : Are Veno wards useful for scouting during a (counter)gank / prospective teamfight, or is it a waste of mana / gives the opponent too much warning? :)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: February 06, 2013, 07:07:22 pm »

Veno wards should be used with foresight, not as a kneejerk reaction. Granted, sometimes you will need to throw one down in front of you so you can see someone running away, but that's about it when it comes to using one at the spur of the moment.

What you should be doing with them is place them as preventative measures. This means the following:
1. Putting Veno wards at places where you'd normally put a regular ward... in case you don't have one. This is gank prevention. Put as many as you can all over the jungle to protect your lane from almost everything except smoke ganks.
2. When you see an enemy push incoming you should start stacking wards in front of your tower. Don't put individual wards here and there, it's pretty useless and just feeds people gold. But if you have 7 - 9 wards stacked at your tower, chances are they will never be able to push without a serious dive on their part. Furthermore, you need such a huge clump of wards to clear the incoming creep waves. One or two won't cut it in the least.
3. Similarly, when you're planning to assault a lane, you should prepare by placing a gigantic clump of wards somewhere out of the tower range and beyond where the enemy can easily kill them off. This gives your team a place to fall back to as well as a great place to fight. And it pushes the lane really hard.
4. Lastly, if for some reason you want to seriously piss off the enemy. What you should do is after you manage to kill an enemy laner, start plunking down wards in a giant mass in the middle of the lane. When he comes back he will be completely screwed. For obvious reasons you can't really do this while there's an enemy in lane as he'll kill them as they appear.

In any case, if you're running around spamming individual wards for no real purpose, there's no point to it and yeah... you'd be just feeding the enemy gold and exp. One or two wards also do barely anything in actual fights. Your autoattacks are probably more useful. If you're standing at the edges of the fight, then you can throw them down if you want. I just wouldn't recommend it in any situation where running is better.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: February 06, 2013, 07:11:36 pm »

Cheers for help. As you may remember from the game we played I wasn't too used to using Veno wards :P

I mainly used them for (1), albeit more in-the-spur of the moment type thing where we clumped up as five and the enemy totally disappeared from the map. Gank prevention ho!

It kind sucks that it's gonna be another 2 and a half weeks before I can touch Dota again, but I'm looking forward. :)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: February 06, 2013, 07:46:50 pm »

Did a 1v1 against my buddy first match was Pudge vs Pudge it was pretty close but he pretty bad at hooking the 2nd was Anti-Mage vs Anti-Mage he rushed Manta and I got a Bfury then farmed like crazy and he gave up  :D
If you ever decide to 1v1 someone Bottle + Wards are a god send I got pretty much all the runes since I warded.

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: February 06, 2013, 07:53:29 pm »

Meepo vs. Meepo? :D

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 06, 2013, 08:02:01 pm »

Meepo vs. Meepo? :D
Tried it one meepo appears near the other in the fountain then you die and the other dies so no

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 06, 2013, 08:10:44 pm »

Wait, please tell me that Dark Seer fix isn't removing the ability to cast ion shell on creeps. That's like the most useful aspect of Dark Seer, unlimited push and harass on your enemies!
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 246