Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239663 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #1770 on: February 01, 2013, 12:00:34 pm »

If you're even vaguely competent, you'll quickly move past them.

I know I'm not the *best* Dota 2 player, but I don't understand why I'm still stuck with carries who autoattack, supports who don't ward, and gankers that feed.

It doesn't happen all the time, (about 33%) but when it does the throws are unimaginable (from either side.)

INVOKER WHY ARE YOU GOING WEX FIRST INTO THE JUNGLE gg

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #1771 on: February 01, 2013, 12:03:47 pm »

People are idiots. Play with friends on voicechat, it's far less infuriating. Yes, pub matches can be excellent, with both teams being skilled and sensible, but that's very rare.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: February 01, 2013, 12:46:20 pm »

Korbac:

If you play well consistently, you'll get out of there pretty soon. I definitely recommend getting cosy with other people who are at about your level and want to get better casually though.

I thought it'd be interesting to see the differences between our matchmaking brackets.

Here's that match I played with you: http://dotabuff.com/matches/108258239

1. The match lasted 1 hour. Mostly attributed to the fact that both teams were more interested in farming the jungle than pushing. I'm pretty sure if I wasn't yelling at everyone to push, the game would have went on for another hour.

2. Everyone has Vanguard and Power Treads. Even Viper. And what on earth were you doing with a PMS? Conversely, only one person has an Arcanes. Our team on the whole had way more team items like Euls and Arcanes and Drums and Necrobook and Sheepstick.

3. 300 is the average GPM. This is really, REALLY bad.

Here's a recent one of my regular games: http://dotabuff.com/matches/111970550

1. The match lasted 42 minutes. Probably because our entire team was all random carries.

2. While not as bad as "everyone has Vanguard and Power Treads", team items still kinda rare. Almost no one had Arcanes, and for some reason Wisp was trying to build a Bloodstone. Alchemist rushed a Vlads.

3. The GPM again was about 300. Again, really, REALLY bad.

So it isn't all that different really. Just incremental differences. If anything, most of the problems for the people at your level can be attributed to them still learning the game and not knowing what to do.

Marchosias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: February 01, 2013, 12:54:49 pm »

I'm very suprised that I've yet to play one game with any of you.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: February 01, 2013, 01:16:57 pm »

*Analysis*

Haha yeah, the Poor Man's was a little bit of item space OCD - I needed a Stout for the harass and thought "well, I can stick +6 agility into that item slot!" also, I wanted to ensure (read : aid) in early kills with my gale with a little more DPS (didn't work though). I didn't have enough money for anything else to swap it out with as I spent it all on wards / died too frequently.

The Treads were, IIRC, because of the fact that I didn't have mana problems by the time I actually upgraded my boots (again, no cash) and I wanted a little bit more health. In hindsight though, definitely a poor decision if I'd have known you guys were low on mana.

And yes. Push! Push!!! I wanted to push too, but I didn't really think it was in my place as an inexperienced support to nag everyone. :)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: February 01, 2013, 02:08:03 pm »

Vanguard, PMS, and stout shield are really bad items for ranged heroes. The damage block is almost nonexistant.

Stout shield: 60% chance to block 10 damage.

PMS: 100% chance to block 10 damage from heroes.

Vanguard: 70% chance to block 20 damage.

As you can see, that's kinda crappy.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 01, 2013, 06:09:02 pm »

I've just had and epic match. EPIC match. Once in a season EPICNESS level. Here's it.
www.dotabuff.com/matches/114258531
It started with weaver winning bottom (I tried to do the demon, but they realised about it and started to kick my ass) and doom flash farming the jungle. At 30 mins they were knocking on the T3. Then pudge decides to smoke. We manage to get all three carries in a row with that single smoke. But while we are pushing, ES jumps at us and lands a perfect echo slam, leaving time enough for the other who had respawned to finish up the job. After that the won teamfights start to get really even: For each one we did great, there was another where they did.

Then they got middle raxesand we kept struggling. I managed to get an orchid to shut down weaver by just defending the base with illuminate. then got a necro to keep split pushing. Our morph kept farming and managed to finish eblade, linkens and manta. And right as we were going to stop them as they got into our base: ES jumps, stuns moprh out of positipon and with too much agi. He gets completely obliterated even with linkens. We were just thinking that that was the GG but... We persevered and managed to keep the ancient alive. In the next pushes they manage to get one of bot raxes, but we win a teamfight. And get rosh. And win another teamfight. And then we lost morph again, losing another teamfight. It all came down to if we could kill doom, sb and weaver - mainly weaver - before morph went down. And not getting backdoored nor getting our buildings killed by creeps.

When the match ended I just realised that I was almost a full carry kotl jumping around all the map, both teams had mega creeps, and all hell had broken loose. We managed to kill them a last time and get their ancient, but man, that match was tight. And EPIC.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:11:38 pm by ranter »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: February 02, 2013, 08:42:00 pm »

Heh... note to self. Don't play Dota on the weekends before bedtime.

For some people Dota kept matching us with people who thought they were in "normal" queue. Which is really bizarre since all my games are in high and very high. So almost every game there were people who had like... 10 games played. And we got really unlucky this time, so all those guys were on our team constantly. I'm talking Gyrocopters spamming their rockets to farm creeps. Phantom Assassins not getting blink dagger. Complete newbies really.

So the very last match after 3 losses in a row, we were headed for another loss. We got the same Gyrocopter from before who was spamming his rockets in lane to farm creeps. Except this time he was Centaur. A Centaur who would use his Pipe. Wait for it to run out. Then charge into the enemy alone when it was off.

But we finally got lucky. The enemy team's Pugna suddenly went. I shit you not.

"Mommy told me to go to sleep, so gg."

And that's how we overcame our loss streak.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: February 03, 2013, 04:21:38 pm »

Phantom Assassins not getting blink dagger.
Please tell me that you meant templar where phantom is placed.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: February 03, 2013, 04:25:17 pm »

Heh... note to self. Don't play Dota on the weekends before bedtime.

For some people Dota kept matching us with people who thought they were in "normal" queue. Which is really bizarre since all my games are in high and very high. So almost every game there were people who had like... 10 games played. And we got really unlucky this time, so all those guys were on our team constantly. I'm talking Gyrocopters spamming their rockets to farm creeps. Phantom Assassins not getting blink dagger. Complete newbies really.

So the very last match after 3 losses in a row, we were headed for another loss. We got the same Gyrocopter from before who was spamming his rockets in lane to farm creeps. Except this time he was Centaur. A Centaur who would use his Pipe. Wait for it to run out. Then charge into the enemy alone when it was off.

But we finally got lucky. The enemy team's Pugna suddenly went. I shit you not.

"Mommy told me to go to sleep, so gg."

And that's how we overcame our loss streak.

Welcome to the lower brackets! XD

I remember that Centaur who never skilled Double Edge.

Even after he had a heart.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ~

Phantom Assassins not getting blink dagger.
Please tell me that you meant templar where phantom is placed.

He might mean Blink Strike. :)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: February 03, 2013, 04:34:21 pm »

Yeah, Templar. Sorry.

I always get the two mixed up.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: February 03, 2013, 04:36:25 pm »

Speaking as a new-ish scrub... don't do that to me! It's not nice to plant ridiculous ideas like that in the heads of new players.  :P

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: February 03, 2013, 05:07:36 pm »

So how do you feel about a Pugna/Kotl/Bane trilane?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: February 03, 2013, 05:11:30 pm »

Who needs a trilane when you have OBLIVION!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: February 03, 2013, 05:24:15 pm »

Lol... sorry Thexor.

Alkemia:

Uhh... While you might win the lane... what would those guys do with the advantage? They all fall off extremely hard past the mid game and are almost useless in the late. Seems like quite the gamble, since you're relying on winning the early game super duper hard. But what about the other lanes?

Suppose you have carries in the other two lanes, this might make them extremely vulnerable. But if you don't put very strong, scaling carries at the remaining spots, then you risk losing once the game reaches 20 minutes. Furthermore, there is a very simple solution to extreme kill lanes. Leave them. If Pugna, Gandalf and Bane destroyed the tower 5 minutes into the game... good for them. Now what? The enemy team now has a really safe place to freefarm. What if you let the lane exist and not push the tower? What's the point? No one in that trilane uses farm.

This is why Trilanes usually exist to support one hard carry to get freefarm. Provided they exist at all, because some heroes like Dirge love to eat trilaners.

Then there's the whole problem of trilanes requiring a lot of skill and coordination from the members.

To give an example, that Gyro I was talking about earlier was trilaning with us. Except the dumbass took his rockets at level 1 instead of his missile so we could triple stun and get kills. Just that one small act lost us the entire game. Because he gimped three people almost instantly. Then there was that whole thing where he was using his rockets to farm.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 246