Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239627 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #1650 on: January 15, 2013, 07:53:51 pm »

I've got to be honest, most of the games of Dota we play tend to either result in :

a) A loss, because one or more of the players on the team we play in plays poorly. This also sometimes applies to me, although you must feel sympathy towards my queue partner who has never lost us a game via feeding / lack of farm etc. These games can be frustrating to play.

b) A win, because of the opposite - one (or more) of the enemy team is consistently bad and so we steamroll the enemy with minimal effort. It's sort of fun, but not as much as you'd think. It's a bit like coming second and then getting getting promoted to first because the first team was d/q'ed or something.

c) We lose, because we actually pick a decent team while the enemy goes all carries (or Drow Ranger, GAGHHHHH), but we can't co-ordinate our push early enough and the game ends at a loss in ~60 minutes. Semi - fun but for the last ~10 minutes when you know you've lost and the game goes on it becomes frustrating.

Every, I dunno, 15% of games I play is a contest between players of equal skill where the team has decent communication and nobody makes any throws. I don't really care if we win or lose these - they are incredibly fun to play.

This, coupled with the fact that each game of Dota 2 is an investment of 30-40 minutes, means that if your team sucks, you will have to sit there and get stomped endlessly for a good half hour. This is one of the most frustrating things you can deal with

Exactly. Example from a game earlier today - 5 minutes in a lvl 4 or whatever SB charges a Sand King and an Earthshaker while they are sitting on their tower. First Blood. SB continues to try mad plays up to and including charging in 1v5 versus a team with far more gold than he has.

I advised him politely that doing such actions would get you killed, but he said something in Russian that I couldn't understand.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39:31 pm »

Just found another lovely individual.. Trying out the Alchemist for the first time and at first head towards bottom but see another melee there, but the top already has two heroes. I think "Okay, I'll head to the center and support Visage". Some random asshole begins calling me a dumbass and telling me to go to the middle when I'm already on the way. I get up there and Visage decides he wants to suddenly go bottom, and same asshole starts calling me a dumbass for deciding to solo and yells at me to get to the bottom while he solos the middle. I'm like... OKAY, I'll go BACK to the gorram bottom and start doing so. More verbal abuse. Finally we get sorted where me and Visage are down below. Jackass dies twice. Visage wants me to charge deep towards their tower as melee, gets himself killed getting greedy, blames me for "not wanting to fight" between their tower, creep horde, and two heroes.

AM I ACTUALLY MISSING SOMETHING OR ARE THESE PEOPLE A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THE DUNNING-KRUGER EFFECT?

Nevermind that actually telling new players what they're doing wrong is a lot more effective than shouting over and over again "NOOOOB! NOOOOB TEAM! I DON'T SUCK IF I LOSE IT CAN'T BE MY FAULT!"

The culling of humanity must begin in this game.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: January 15, 2013, 08:53:20 pm »

If you want to make your Dota life easier, mute everyone for the slightest infractions. They have nothing important to say. You might think you can learn from the odd stranger who has something important to say, but you'd be wrong. You might also think your team has important strategies to discuss in the middle of a match. This is also wrong. Maybe a warning about certain things, like the mid is missing or someone just got a blink dagger. This is also wrong. Not only wrong, but actually completely useless information and just used to cover their own ass. Insurance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is absolutely nothing in this game that can't be communicated through pings.

Because everyone is a moron. Especially in the middle of a game. Trust me on this. No one has a bloody freaking clue what they're talking about. Almost everyone just makes shit up as they go and blame everything even if there's nothing to do with it. Even then no proper judgement can ever be made mid-game because everyone's adrenaline is flowing and Dota games are too complex for someone to just go "oh we lost because Void got farmed." So there's absolutely nothing important that anyone can say mid game unless they're either a hyper pro player (who we will never meet) or Buddha. This problem is further compounded by the fact that the grand majority of players are children.

Anything someone says in a game is almost automatically wrong. Even someone saying SS or MID MISS is almost always wrong, and the only times he is correct is when he's lucky. Someone telling you to buy wards is automatically wrong. That dumb bastard who spouts on a thesis's worth of strategy IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME will always be wrong. Learning comes post game when you watch the replay and analyze from all angles, or you read an article that details some stuff.

So once again. To save your sanity and make sure you always want to play the game. Mute everyone.

Unless you're in super high ultra pro level games where God himself plays with you. Then feel free to listen to people. Then again you probably won't have to since you can all read each others minds, being perfect players.

-------

Also, if you don't find yourself having fun with the game, I would be the first to recommend putting it down. It takes a certain... sado-masochistic pervert to like it.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: January 15, 2013, 10:05:16 pm »

Just WOW, dont know how but you guys are really having a worst luck than i do, yeah i do get the feeding and lost matches after 5 minutes into the game, but the quantity of flame and anger iv seen has decreased A LOT since the original Dota. I cant even remember the last time i saw someone trashtalking.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: January 16, 2013, 02:16:44 am »

Just WOW, dont know how but you guys are really having a worst luck than i do, yeah i do get the feeding and lost matches after 5 minutes into the game, but the quantity of flame and anger iv seen has decreased A LOT since the original Dota. I cant even remember the last time i saw someone trashtalking.
Pretty much yeah I've only had one guy tell me to uninstall and all that.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: January 16, 2013, 04:14:24 pm »

New patch no Hero
Added Least Played mode to matchmaking! In this mode players can only choose from a list of their least played heroes. This mode is great for learning new heroes since everyone will be on equal footing.

GAMEPLAY
- Faceless Void: Fixed Backtrack working on HP Removal.
- Medusa: Mystic Snake now returns to restore you when it is blocked by Linken's Sphere.
- Meepo: Fixed an exploit with boot selection
- Riki: Fixed an issue with Permanent Invisibility on respawning.
- Slark: Fixed Impale based stuns not getting removed by Dark Pact.
- Issuing the haste command to the courier with the new UI no longer interrupts channeling spells on the primary hero.
- Fixed an exploit allowing items to be combined from multiple owners.
- Fixed Thunderclap being purgable.
- Fixed Malefice being purgable.
- Fixed Poison Touch being purgable.
- Fixed Brewmaster's Dispel not dealing damage to illusions.
- Fixed illusion damage interaction with other things that modify outgoing damage percentage (like Quelling Blade).
- Fixed being unable to target yourself with Force Staff if you are magic immune.

UI
- Fixed an exploit that let you bring up the panel to repick after the game started
- The Balanced Shuffle button now shows up for all non-league private lobbies.
- Fixed Nightstalker's darkness indicator persisting across games.
- Abandoned games are marked in the match history

BOTS
- Added Drow bot.
- Added Warlock bot (and Warlock Golem bot).
- Added support for bots using unique attack modifiers to harass while laning.
- Fixed bug that was causing bots to farm for buyback much earlier than they should.
- Fixed bug that was causing some bots to get stuck when trying to use a Tango.
- Bots that are lanemates of a carry will no longer jungle during the laning phase.
- If a hero is already jungling during the laning phase, additional bots will not jungle.

WORKSHOP
- Added Import Courier and Import Ward.
- Added support for animations and attachment points.
- Added Quicksave & Quickload import buttons to make it easy to redo a previous import.
- Added Centaur Warrunner, Batrider, Mirana, Keeper of the Light, Shadow Demon, and Slark to the Hero list (and http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements).
- Preview now allows you to add multiple cosmetic items onto the preview Hero.
- Preview now has a Portrait camera view.
- Preview now allows you to select a skin on models with multiple skins.
- Preview now visualizes attachment points on models that require attachments to be valid.
- Improved validation of polygon and bone count of submitted models.
Fixed illusion damage interaction with other things that modify outgoing damage percentage (like Quelling Blade). Thank god they fix this

Faceless Void: Fixed Backtrack working on HP Removal. Oh this was a bug interesting
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:27:58 pm by Alkhemia »

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: January 16, 2013, 05:29:23 pm »

Heh, him backtracking armlet toggle was kinda silly.

Probably a bug from the old War3 engine.

I know someone who's going to be pissed there's no troll warlord.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: January 16, 2013, 11:25:46 pm »

I'm sad Outworld Destroyer is now Outworld Demolisher  :'(
http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Outworld_Destroyer
time to change in the text file

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: January 16, 2013, 11:58:59 pm »

I'm sad Outworld Destroyer is now Outworld Demolisher  :'(
http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Outworld_Destroyer
time to change in the text file
Why in the world.

Seriously, WHY?!

He was Obsidian Destroyer in Dota, then Outworld Destroyer in Dota 2, and just when I got used to the change, they go and change it again?

Oh Valve, thou art a heartless bitch.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: January 17, 2013, 01:04:29 am »

Wait till they rename Windrunner. You know it's going to happen.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: January 17, 2013, 02:01:08 am »

Harbinger, the Outworld Building Turret Portal Demolisher + Bulldozer on the wiki at the moment if you can't tell lot of people are mad

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: January 17, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »

And I was correct thinking that backtrack shouldn't work with HP removal. It is not damage, so it shouldn't be able to be healed.

Also, I agree with being trigger happy about the mute button. As a solo queuer, it is my best friend. Well, that and BKBs. Whenever I manage to get one in a proper match, they are awesome.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: January 17, 2013, 08:38:33 pm »

Valve heard the cries. OD is now Outworld Devourer.

Much better than Demolisher.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:03 pm »

Valve heard the cries. OD is now Outworld Devourer.

Much better than Demolisher.
nice that is a lot better

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: January 18, 2013, 02:59:20 am »

is it me or is es a tier 1 pick now?
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 246