Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239117 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #570 on: July 09, 2012, 03:50:55 am »

Hey I played another match of dota today and completely flopped :P

Just curious though but do we have a steam group dedicated to Bay12 Dota, or are most of yal part of the DFC group? Would maybe like to play a game with some of you sometime so I can make you rage quit from how bad I am maybe get a little help learning how to play. At my current rate it'll be a couple ice ages before I've internalized all of the skills and heroes and the like and I'll still not have any amazing idea on what I should buy and when and what order to skill a hero up for.

Dunno about a bay12 group but I'm up for a game nd I'll try and help out
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 13, 2012, 12:08:01 am »

News:

1. Teemo Lanaya is out. Pick her and hear the word "secrets" every 15 seconds!
2. Dota 2 announcers and couriers are on sale as well along with the Steam Summer Sale. Couriers for $2, etc.
3. Storm Spirit announcer is also out, not for sale though but I grabbed him anyway because it's Storm Spirit! =|
4. Wisp + Chaos Knight is quite possibly, without exaggeration, the most broken combo in the entire game. Maybe that's why they're always banned. 6 second global stun 2 stronk.
5. You can now pick a hero to represent yourself.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 13, 2012, 12:59:08 am »

Also Undying, Disruptor and Templar Assassin in Captain's mode so some fun with pro games.

Next might be Naga Siren finally.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 13, 2012, 10:53:35 am »

5. You can now pick a hero to represent yourself.

That's been out, since before the latest patch.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 13, 2012, 10:56:57 am »

I assume you mean merely that pros ban wisp, he's far too bad to be picked outside of a very coordinated team.  Terrible stats and animation.  Haven't watched very many pro matches lately.

In other pro news, m5 continues to make themselves look terrible.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 13, 2012, 01:25:14 pm »

Dont know how or why, but lanaya seems way better in D2 than in the original Dota, i know her skills are the same but somehow she seems to own so badly.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 13, 2012, 01:45:16 pm »

I tended to do extremely well with her. She's hard to pin down since she can simply Meld every seven seconds, and her Refraction gives her a way to shrug off just about anything while giving a huge damage boost. I mean, you get 80 damage and can block 5 different spells, attacks, ultimates... assuming you time it right. Tack on her passive giving a bit of range (that does true damage), get a Desolater, and you can (with the correct positioning) hit a creep which will cause more spill damage to enemy heroes than you would by attacking them directly.

Her ult's nice too for setting up ganks, or keeping the jungle safe-ish while still giving a reliable 50% slow.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 13, 2012, 03:14:35 pm »

can block 5 different spells, attacks, ultimates

Not really.  It blocks 5 instances of damage that are greater than 5 damage.  So if someone uses poison sting level 2 on her, it'll burn all her shield without any other spells involved.  Same with things like edict, shadow strike.   The effects, such as slow and stun, penetrate it too.  It's a good skill it's just not 5 free linkens, which a cursory reading of your post might suggest it is.

I've been thinking that you could use her and a defensive lanemate, like veno, to stop pushes by early-game pushers like lesh, chen, and chantress.  Veno does what he does warding around tower and lanaya melds at the max attack range for their pusher.  Gale + refraction + meld damage would be at least half of enchantresses hp early and the gale ensures that there's no way they can get away.  Actually, when I first thought of it, it was trilane with VS, veno, and lanaya and making lanaya into more of a late game carry if the other team doesn't feed them.  MOAR MINUS ARMOR.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 13, 2012, 04:04:48 pm »

Dont know how or why, but lanaya seems way better in D2 than in the original Dota, i know her skills are the same but somehow she seems to own so badly.
Maybe it's because you're older. :P

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 13, 2012, 04:18:27 pm »

Maybe Dwarf Fortress has helped me understand complex game mechanics better, opening my eyes to a new world of posibilities. (?)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 13, 2012, 07:30:49 pm »

It's a good skill it's just not 5 free linkens, which a cursory reading of your post might suggest it is.

Yeah, probably should've clarified a bit better, but I was in a bit of a hurry at the time (and only slightly overcome by nostalgia for her). Fun is running away low health from a Lion or Lina, hitting Refraction and watching as they use their ultimate... then stare, dumbfounded as to why it didn't kill you.

Sure, certain skills can negate it or severely reduce its effectiveness, but it is a fairly unique mechanic in how extremely useful it can be in certain situations. Lanaya as a whole requires more thinking than the average hero, since you need to determine how best your shield would be used, either to attack an enemy directly or indirectly through the spill damage, where Melding would yield the best results (middle of the lane? Near their tower, but out of True Sight range where they didn't have vision two seconds ago?), predicting paths that enemies will take in order to predetermine trap placement...

A real sneaky bastardette, but fun with a bit of strategizing. Also, anti armor absolutely wrecks squishier heroes, since you end up doing a percentage more on the attacks. Come to think of it, if the mechanics remained the same, you generally don't want to hit the heroes in lane, since reducing a creep's armor and causing spill True damage behind it yields more overall damage than attacking them directly.

Kinda like an old build for Kunkka I used to play with: 4 Battlefuries, Boots and Lothars (now Shadow Blade, I think). Stealth-run up to an enemy farming, hit the creep next to them, and instantly deal 240% of your beefy attack damage (plus the additional damage from breaking stealth in Lothars) and watch as the enemy absolutely melts, along with their creep wave... Good times.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 14, 2012, 12:04:38 am »

This is probably meaningless to all of you, but the guy I made the bet with a long while ago concerning my pro-Luna build bought a courier for me today! Yay!

To tally all the stuff I have:
1. Storm Spirit Announcers
2. Robot Courier
3. Stumpy Courier
4. Fat Treants

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 16, 2012, 05:27:04 pm »

Does anyone have or know anyone with a beta invite to this?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 16, 2012, 06:00:47 pm »

I just gave away my last one to someone who barely wanted it... guh. Sorry, briggs...

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 17, 2012, 01:45:42 am »

Ahh that's a shame, thanks anyway though.

I'll keep looking though :) this game looks so good. I'll pay a fiver for a beta key to someone from here..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:50:27 am by Briggsy16 »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 246