Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239057 times)

spiderpig040

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #345 on: April 12, 2012, 05:09:51 pm »

well, you can't learn the game instantly. why don't you try and play with AI's. i started there and yes, i learned, A LOT!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 15, 2012, 02:49:29 am »

The best thing for me in Dota (compared to LoL) is that it doesn't make winning the only thing that matters. There's commendations to gather and performance meters to fill, and neither has anything to do with winning or losing. Also, not having an in-game currency that you get more of when you win and none of that "HEY MAN YOU NEED TO WIN TODAY TO GET THIS NICE JUICY BONUS"-thing going on makes me way less stressed about the result of the matches.

Also, as much as I love seeing my own stats, I kind of hated everyone else being able to see my Ranked stats in LoL too. In Dota you just see people's most successful heroes and that's it.

It's all so nice and positive and that's definitely what the MOBA/ARTS genre needs.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:58:19 am by LASD »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2012, 03:10:31 am »

Mumblemutter. What it needs is for someone to make a proper AoS style game and slap that collective moba nonsense across the snout. DotA style is a degeneration of the potential the genre holds :-\

But yeah, anything that cuts into the general base of the frothing hellpit that's generally characterized the player base of the DotA sort of AoS is good, too, in it's own way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 15, 2012, 04:36:00 am »

I love my "right click to win" heroes.

I'll freely admit that I dislike playing complicated heroes. Give me Dragon Knight, Viper, Broodmother, etc. Keep your Invoker!

I still find it completely ludicrous how strong Viper is. I just love how he can go full tank and still out-DPS 90% of the entire roster. And 12 second ultimate is fun too hehehehe...

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 16, 2012, 08:40:17 am »

Well, that didn't take long. My 20th matchmade game is the first one where I got frustrated on my team not having any idea what they were doing.

We had the game pretty much won, just needed to get the bottom lane pushed in (400 hp tower). I pleaded and pleaded for my team to get there to no avail, they rather pushed top with 2 full health towers, farmed the opponent jungle getting killed and started teamfights when I was just getting there, no matter how many times I said to wait for me and my heals. All the while this is going on Sven is saying either "lol, I'm afk" or "100% lost" and Clockwork is typing in Russian.

Finally I managed to catch up with most of them in two subsequent teamfights, which we then won pretty easily and we pushed in their base (and I finally could push the bot tower). This was further helped by the other team's utter inability to protect the base turrets from creeps.

I also crashes randomly twice, which was pretty nasty.

I thought I was still in "I have no idea what's going on"-mode, but I guess the strategical parts are pretty much transferable from LoL. Though that makes me able to feel the "WTF are you doing, team?"-feeling which I hate.

EDIT: No one did call me anything nasty or yell at me rudely, so that's at least positive.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:00:33 am by LASD »

spiderpig040

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 16, 2012, 12:38:28 pm »

Well, that didn't take long. My 20th matchmade game is the first one where I got frustrated on my team not having any idea what they were doing.

We had the game pretty much won, just needed to get the bottom lane pushed in (400 hp tower). I pleaded and pleaded for my team to get there to no avail, they rather pushed top with 2 full health towers, farmed the opponent jungle getting killed and started teamfights when I was just getting there, no matter how many times I said to wait for me and my heals. All the while this is going on Sven is saying either "lol, I'm afk" or "100% lost" and Clockwork is typing in Russian.

Finally I managed to catch up with most of them in two subsequent teamfights, which we then won pretty easily and we pushed in their base (and I finally could push the bot tower). This was further helped by the other team's utter inability to protect the base turrets from creeps.

I also crashes randomly twice, which was pretty nasty.

I thought I was still in "I have no idea what's going on"-mode, but I guess the strategical parts are pretty much transferable from LoL. Though that makes me able to feel the "WTF are you doing, team?"-feeling which I hate.

EDIT: No one did call me anything nasty or yell at me rudely, so that's at least positive.

ey, you have a replay on this? just want to check it out :D i might get some ideas. thanks :D

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 17, 2012, 01:50:47 am »

ey, you have a replay on this? just want to check it out :D i might get some ideas. thanks :D
There's the Dota replay thing. I'll post the Match ID here when I get to my proper computer later today.

Of course it'll turn out it was somehow my fault all along, but what the hell, it's nice to be proved wrong and learn something.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 17, 2012, 02:04:37 am »

DotA style is a degeneration of the potential the genre holds :-\

+1
The game started out as a mod for an RTS. I remember playing the original and finding it an interesting idea, but it felt like playing an RTS with one unit, which IMO just made it feel less then the game it was based upon. I have been sad to see that virtually all games in the genre following in its success don't seem to have tried to even slightly alter the formula, controls or even art style, they still all seem to play like one-unit RTS's.

Thats not to say its a bad game/style, just that I think it has more potential than the current games offer.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

spiderpig040

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 17, 2012, 10:12:52 am »

There's the Dota replay thing. I'll post the Match ID here when I get to my proper computer later today.

Of course it'll turn out it was somehow my fault all along, but what the hell, it's nice to be proved wrong and learn something.

thanks in advance. by the way. do you, by any chance play in Garena? if you do. add me up. the username's CakeMania.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 17, 2012, 01:41:15 pm »

thanks in advance. by the way. do you, by any chance play in Garena? if you do. add me up. the username's CakeMania.
Unfortunately I'm not on Garena, but here we go:

My most frustrating Dota 2 match this far. Match ID: 11521913. Feel free to point out everything I did wrong.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2012, 02:53:13 pm »

Garena?

Is that where Dota2 is hosted in Asia?

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 20, 2012, 02:31:05 am »

Dota 2 is AFAIK only on Steam, Garena is being used for Dota 1 (Warcraft 3) IMHO.

My most frustrating Dota 2 match this far. Match ID: 11521913. Feel free to point out everything I did wrong.

Brace for the wall of text :).

1. Buy wards and place them :). At start of the game you should look at your team's lineup and choose role for you - if you're carry or support. If you are carry then farm and carry to win. But if you are one of the other 4 heroes (yes, you should really have only 1 carry in team, and MAYBE 1 semi-carry), then you support :).

2. Skill build - I don't really like Heartstopper for Necro :/. It has its uses in some very very push oriented lineup, but Sadism is sooo better. And you have mana problems until you get Sadist up.

3. Item build - more wards :), and well earlier Meka is better, Arcanes are not bad but they delay Meka a lot. And random Void Stone in middle of buying Meka? Not a good idea, even if you make in 30+ minute hex from it.

4. Gameplay - you can always get better at lasthit and deny. And I was little confused when team was pushing second mid tower, you ran back and jungled (17-20m). Supports don't farm, they support :). They denied the tower. Maybe it was only lack of communication. Say b or back when you go back, and try to communicate with team, say miss and push at least.

Don't rambo without team, which on pub means - don't rambo ever :). It happened at least thrice, one by fountain and two times when you went for sniper kill.

You could have won when you broke mid rax, but hindsight is 20/20 :). Then SK got dagger and Aghanims and your team lost teamfights whenever SK+Veno hit ulti together. Why no Pipe? In 41' you were singled out and killed before teamfight because of ward. And another thing, why no invis detection? There were two Shadowblades, and SK's Sandstorm.

But overall I liked your play, you were one of the best, if not the best player in game.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:16:39 am by aenri »

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2012, 06:51:18 am »

Brace for the wall of text :).

(Everything I did wrong)

Sweet, thanks for the pointers. Here's my comments on the comments:

On wards: Yeah, I definitely should've got them. I just haven't really used them in Dota so I was worried about placing them wrong or something, but I guess you can't go wrong except by not getting any of them.

On farming: I got a bit frustrated with the way Sven played as the (semi-)carry, so I decided I should farm up a bit too, which probably was a mistake. Going off to farm likely caused me to be late for some teamfights (though my team was mostly the one initiating them).

On ramboing: I noticed I was being a bit greedy. Just sloppy on my part.

On the build: I don't really have a good grasp on the skills and items yet, so I'm just looking up random builds and trying out what works. It's really hard to see how much Heartstopper does, but lvl 4 Sadism is obviously great. I was also wondering what to build after Mek and Pipe is now the obvious answer.

I didn't except anyone to take the time to check out my play, so huge thanks for doing that. I commented on someone's replay in the LoL thread and it was surprisingly fun and a great way to notice that you've actually learned something about the game. It's fun to be on the other end too.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 21, 2012, 01:44:56 pm »

I still think Necro should be played a carry and not a support. If you want to support there are other much better choices like Earthshaker, Crystal Maiden, etc. Even Lion or hell... ANYONE with CC.

Playing Necro like a support is like playing Skeleton King like a support. =| They both will push your lane to hell and back when they heal. At least SK can stun.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 21, 2012, 01:53:54 pm »

Necro can carry, but he needs to be really well played. Some early kills and lane control can lead to a really well carrying Necrolyte, but if you cant manage that you should stick to support.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 246