Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239011 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #300 on: March 19, 2012, 07:19:30 pm »

Is there anything you can do to increase your chances of getting a beta key aside from doing the steam survey?

LoL is fun but I'm getting tired of the champ roster.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 19, 2012, 07:31:55 pm »

On the DotA forums there is a giveaway where they throw out a couple keys every day. I'm sure there are tens of thousands of responses to the thread by now, but yea. You'll need to sign up on playdota.com, go to the forum, and checkout the Daily Draw thread. Pretty sure its an announcement.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 19, 2012, 09:13:37 pm »

Oh, speak of the devil. Just got my invite to DOTA 2. Now to do a million bot matches before I ever play with a sentient being.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 19, 2012, 11:12:16 pm »

Oh, speak of the devil. Just got my invite to DOTA 2. Now to do a million bot matches before I ever play with a sentient being.

Don't do this. Get a friend who plays and queue with him. The bots are terrible. I mean TERRIBLE. Your team is often going to lose if you don't hard carry the game or play like a bot. Because bots play like bots, and they play better with bots. And when you get ganked right in front of your buddies, they won't do shit. And you're gonna die. And when you blink in to gank somebody, it's going to stun you at the exact millisecond you appear. And then more bots are going to come. And you're going to get chainstunned. Perfectly chainstunned. So don't do this. The bots. They know everything, man. THEY KNOW EVERYTHING

Also, you won't learn anything about pubbing environment playing with bots, you'll learn it by pubbing. So go ahead, read some of this:
Read a hero guide and try an easy hero. I recommend Lich or Vengeful Spirit.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:16:23 pm by Bitoru »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 19, 2012, 11:14:48 pm »

Bots will never judge you though.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:08 am »

I'm totally new to the game and I'll second the recommendation that you play with friends.  I've had a lot of success with Lich and Sven, and I'm learning Riki right now.  Sven is very easy if you get a babysitter.  His stun is easy as hell to use and that spell that speeds the people around you up (forgot the name) is great for team chases and escapes.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 20, 2012, 12:15:34 am »

Yea, Sven is really nice. His spells are that nice blend of "I am great to have on your team for early ganks" and "I am great to have on your team lategame". Ganker/Semicarry, go! His only issue is that he needs to get up close to do anything after his stun.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 20, 2012, 03:26:25 am »

I liked how Sven looked in the original DotA. He still looks nice, though.

Also avoid the ASEAN servers, the folks there can't speak English and will constantly yell vulgar words at you as their only means of conversation. You may stumble upon the occasional "nice guy" like I did, though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:32:01 am by justinlee999 »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 20, 2012, 03:42:06 am »

I apologize for the behavior of my kinsmen.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 20, 2012, 04:08:16 am »

Ever seen a Storm Spirit with 34 charges on his bloodstone?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 20, 2012, 07:41:30 am »

I love this game so much. I love how absurd every single hero is and how it can still be balanced. And I especially love how Valve doesn't kneejerk nerf random shit into the ground when people play how they didn't expect them to play. People crying endlessly that Invoker is broken and too strong? Minor nerf to two of his ten spells. PROBLEM SOLVED. NO MORE CRYING. No need to nerf all his stats and his spells.

So I know my Furion will always be Furion and I'll always be able to push every lane at once. And not a case of my Mordekaiser becoming a pile of crap because some idiots cried too much on the forum.

Edit: I mean, look what we have to look forward to even with the already existing insanity:
Splits the Pandaren Brewmaster into elements, forming 3 specialized warriors, adept at survival. If any of them survive until the end of their summoned timer, the Brewmaster is reborn.

SCEPTER UPGRADABLE: Decreases cooldown and increases power of warriors.
Duration: 15/17/19 (20/23/26*)
Effect: Summons three mighty (even mightier*) Pandas/ Summons three even mightier (really freaking mighty*) Pandas/ Summons three really freaking mighty (OMGWTF mighty*) Pandas

That's literally what it says in-game.

Opens rifts that pass through the netherworld at his present position and a target unit simultaneously. Teleports your hero and nearby allied heroes through the rift.

Rubick studies the trace magical essence of one enemy hero, learning the secrets of the last spell the hero cast. Rubick can use this spell as his own for several minutes or until he dies.

Enables the Ogre Magi to rapidly cast his spells, giving them greater potency. Gives a chance to cast a spell multiple times in one cast. Reduces Fireblast's cooldown and mana cost, adds an area of effect to Ignite and reduces Bloodlust's cooldown and increases its area of effect.
Level 1: 25% chance to cast twice
Level 2: 40% chance to cast twice, 20% chance to cast three times
Level 3: 50% chance to cast twice, 25% chance to cast three times, and 12.5% chance to cast 4 times

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 20, 2012, 09:37:06 am »

I gota say. I have the opposite issue that you guys seem to have with bots. Even with the highest level bots they have one serious weakness. They are predictable. You might lose the first five or ten games, but after that you will always win against bots because you know what they are going to do all the time and you can counter it. They are okay for learning how to play a guy (sometimes) and certain other things, but for true skill you need to go against players.

The only skill you learn by fighting bots is how to fight bots.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:39:28 am by Criptfeind »

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2012, 10:05:06 am »

I gota say. I have the opposite issue that you guys seem to have with bots. Even with the highest level bots they have one serious weakness. They are predictable. You might lose the first five or ten games, but after that you will always win against bots because you know what they are going to do all the time and you can counter it. They are okay for learning how to play a guy (sometimes) and certain other things, but for true skill you need to go against players.

The only skill you learn by fighting bots is how to fight bots.
It really depends on the hero I think.  Stealthy characters are very difficult because the instant you reappear every single bot focuses you with their stuns.  Strategy-wise they're retarded, but their reaction times are scary. 

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:58 am »

You dont learn how to play well against bots, but you still learn how to play. I'd take someone who has played 20 bot matches then someone who has played 10 pubs any day.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 246