Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239012 times)

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2012, 10:32:32 pm »

I'm Bojack Jude Sampson on steam

Have a mic, 100% ragetastic, ridicule you for being new, and am terrible at the game.

Wait I think I did it wrong.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2012, 09:25:02 am »

Question to you guys: Have any of you even found a person with a microphone good enough you could understand a single word they said? I sure have not.

"Turib jono trickle top lol"

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 22, 2012, 05:35:42 pm »

Question to you guys: Have any of you even found a person with a microphone good enough you could understand a single word they said? I sure have not.

Nope.

'Course, it seems like hardly anyone in this game speaks english to begin with.

And everyone keeps referring to the heroes by their old dota names.

I'm sorry mister russia, but I really have no idea who Balanar is, and I don't know why you keep telling people to use english when you clearly don't speak it yourself.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2012, 05:39:33 am »

I'm surprised to see this thread sink that far considering how many people I still see playing the game.

Anyhoo, Apparently all my practicing in HoN with Chrono paid off, because every single teamfight I got into as Faceless Void ended with half their team stunned, and at least one high priority target right on the edge of the bubble so everyone on the team could kick his ass.

I also never once hit an ally with my bubble, and saved umiman a couple times.

From there all you need is enough attack speed to permabash.

Also Axe is fun.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2012, 06:43:28 am »

Axe has nothing on 4 demon Warlock.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2012, 07:01:04 am »

Got a Dota 2 invite on Saturday, played it, everyone was asking me to leave the game.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2012, 08:17:55 am »

Welcome to DotA. I've been kicked 15 minutes into the match before; you are lucky they asked you.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32:18 am »

It was the community that scared me away from DotA 1, ah, well.

I've improved though, now people just say I need to improve more instead of outright cursing at me.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2012, 09:36:39 am »

Can we actually do something about this sort of treatment other than. "Yep, you're just lucky you didn't get worse." ?

Multiplayer gaming communities tend to be pretty bad overall, especially when competition comes into it, but these type games, MOBA, or whatever you want to call them, they tend to be terrible.

The game is hard enough to get into to begin with with dozens of characters needing to be at least recognized and item builds out the wazoo.

I've had people abandon my team for suggesting to the (apparent) new guy, "Don't worry too much, just learn, have fun, it's just a game." Suddenly two people drop.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:42 am »

Can we actually do something about this sort of treatment other than. "Yep, you're just lucky you didn't get worse." ?

Multiplayer gaming communities tend to be pretty bad overall, especially when competition comes into it, but these type games, MOBA, or whatever you want to call them, they tend to be terrible.

The game is hard enough to get into to begin with with dozens of characters needing to be at least recognized and item builds out the wazoo.

I've had people abandon my team for suggesting to the (apparent) new guy, "Don't worry too much, just learn, have fun, it's just a game." Suddenly two people drop.
Because every single MOBA player is training to compete in the DotA championships! Duh!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2012, 11:50:44 am »

There is no way to clean the MOBA scene. It is just the nature of the game. But what you can do is find a group of friends or whatever and make a team with them, that way you should avoid the bile.

Maybe we should make a bay12 team. I would totally join, although I would be super rusty since I have not played in a while. I had a string of like five wins and then the next loss was so devastating that I simply never went back.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2012, 11:51:06 am »

Its because the game isnt fun if the other team is wiping their asses with you. Losing is fine; as long as it was neck and neck. But when you get the newbies on your team that go 0 and 6 within minutes, you can hear the proverbial toilet paper being pulled out. I dont rage at newbies, but when they are on my team I know that unless the other team has equal or more newbiness, I am not going to be in for a fun ride.

The game is completely team dependent, and when one of the links in your team's chain doesn't know how to play, you've got a problem. Suddenly, that guy on the other team is 6 kills up and shit-talking your team because he thinks he is a badass feeding off newbs. Then it all goes downhill, everyone starts getting massacred, and you just want to turn off dota/lol/hon/random moba.

The obvious fix is to, you know, teach newbies. The problem is that it is well known that most people couldn't give a rat's ass about anyone else, let alone waste their precious dota teaching someone the ropes. DotA 2 is doing what it can with the great AI and teaching tools, but it will remain a problem forever.

I know it makes you feel discouraged if you want to learn, but you can persevere. Play matches with the AI, get the hang of a hero you like, and play the hell out of him. Look up what items are decent on him, what order to get them, etc. Once you get the hang of a few heroes in this fashion, everything will start linking up. Youll learn what every hero is capable of and what items go on who. You dont need to learn every hero's item/skillbuild individually, you just need to learn the ebb and flow of what works when.

Also, completely ignore anyone who tells you to leave and says you suck etc. Just ignore it. Period.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2012, 12:10:45 pm »

Yes I have, on my first game, and he gave me some help and tips after I told him it was my first game. So much for the stereotypical bad community  :P

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »

Read guides, watch guides, watch replays, watch pros, practice against bots, over and over and over and over and over, until you have a pretty good idea of what's going on. Transfer the knowledge into the actual game then, and you'll be going places. We hate new people because it is a team dependent game, and if you're bad you just ruined 4 other people's game. That's how it works. I'm an asshole who hates new people too, but, if you're willing to learn you're generally a lot better off. The problem appears when you have new people come in and think they already know how to play, and won't take advice, and etc.

I.E. "I know how to play the game I've been playing for 2 weeks-1 month." No you don't, not yet, getting there, but not yet. It really takes months to like fully understand the game, and then maybe a year at least to really start getting good. It's a very time consuming game, and it's a very competitive game. Dota is more serious/competitive then say league of legends, so if you're really casual and are all about playing for fun, dota probably isn't going to be for you. It's elitist but it's true.

Good ways to start out, stick with support characters, the game isn't 100 percent dependent on your participation and how good you are then. Be a "ward bitch", you buy wards for the team as much as needed, and you place them throughout the ward spots in the jungle and etc. Everyone loves wards, and if you ward a lot, they'll like you a lot more. Good ways to learn characters are as I said above, guides, watch pros play them, practice against bots. The bots are actually really good, especially on unfair, their timing and reactions are measured in milliseconds. Good practice. You want to play as many people as possible, stay away from the more complex heroes at first like invoker, stick with simpler people at first so you can also focus on just learning game mechanics as well, like last hitting, denying, when to be cautious, MIA, map awareness, etc.

Play as many people as possible though. Don't stick with people just one hero because it's a fun character, There will be times when that character is a bad choice in a match, and you will suffer for it. Every character is tutored to fit certain roles and make certain counters. You also learn the abilities for all the heroes and that helps you a lot overall in terms of survival and expectations in team fights. If you really want to learn a character, stick with him for a few days if possible until you get him down enough, move on to someone else.

A lot of people don't completely mind new people as long as you're willing to learn, there's a lot of new people who aren't though, and that's when noobs get hate.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:57:00 pm by Vherid »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2012, 07:04:28 pm »

Bots are scary good. Don't underestimate them. Yeah, they're a good way to learn.

But like someone else mentioned, the best way to like this genre of games is to play with friends. Seriously, with a group of similar skilled players your enjoyment factor goes through the roof. Playing with people of vastly different skill levels isn't as fun though for you or the other guy, so you should try to find someone roughly at your level.

And you also need to learn how to tune people out and accept defeats. :P No one really gives a shit about losses and wins since none of us are actual pros looking for sponsorship.

--------------

Considering the gigantic amount of heroes available with the incredible amount of different playstyles, which is not like LoL where there are a huge amount of champions but only 4 playstyles, everyone will be good at something. For example, I have a lot of fun with strong pushers like Broodmother since I like AFK farming and pushing towers. On the other hand, I'm absolutely crap with gankers like Nightstalker and have no freaking clue what to do and no amount of guides can change it since it's a very huge playstyle difference.

--------------

So don't get discouraged if you can't find a guy you like yet, a lot of them are ridiculously different from one another.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 246