Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 238938 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2011, 02:34:33 am »

I agree with Kael. Bay12forumites, you guys are nice and all, but you sure as hell know how to turn a debate into a full-blown argument! Stop belittling people because of opposing views. Just... debate.

Both games have huge (and I mean HUGE, LoL has gotten to be a giant and DotA hasn't stopped throwing its massive girth everywhere) playerbases, which must mean they are both doing something right. I personally prefer dota, could probably argue with the two penguins in this thread for ages. But in the end, its pointless. We each prefer different things, and nothing I say is going to bring them over to the DotA-side.

(Although to be honest DotA vs LoL has always been a heated rivalry. Its not too odd to see it leak onto this board.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:42:54 am by Rex_Nex »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 24, 2011, 09:20:21 am »

Some people just need to stop making it personal and we'll be fine.

Here's the thing about the skill/no-skill thing that's always bugged me.  It's a semi-free aos.  It's not the olympics.  There aren't millions of dollars at stake (At least for you) so why do people always go straight for the "This game is more skill-intensive, therefore better" thing?  It's about fun, and while I'm sure it's lots of fun for people who struggled through it years ago, it's not much fun at all for those of us who are struggling through it now.

Anyway, I'm surprised nobody's done a pro as heck guide to skeleton king.  He fits the bill, being annoying and really easy, and Refresher Orb/Divine Rapier on him is pretty much the definition of come on and slam and welcome to the jam
Shoes...

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2011, 11:05:11 am »

All the related MOBA clones end up having some flame wars between them. Fanboyism at its finest. As someone who once hated League of Legends (Mostly because Guinsoo and Pendragon are huge assholes, but that's a story for another day), but now accepts it as a similar, yet different game, I got over it and enjoy both as they are.

I do get the more casual feel from League, and the more unforgiving from DotA, but League was created as a revamp of DotA that would be easier for people to pick up by removing certain overused/abused/non-intuitive mechanics. They are different games under different developers. Deal with it.

@Cthulhu: Skeleton King is just... heh, well I remember playing him years ago, and he's difficult to kill if you don't have any form of mana burn (and he gets sufficiently tanky). You would need a lot of mana that is usually reserved for other, more useful items (like a Heart) to pull off the Refresher combo, though. Better to just abuse his lifesteal aura, get a Vladimirs, and build some orb effect (like a Skadi, or Sange/Yasha) first. Regardless of your build, he remains a huge pain in the ass because of his auras and the stun (oh that stun), as well as his ability to turn into an autoattacking powerhouse or a nigh unkillable tank.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2011, 11:43:40 am »

You must not understand the point of getting a free teleport scroll.

No, builds =/= skill.
But, you end up buying that teleport scroll anyhow. If anything, it gives you something that you always want, so it saves an inventory space, saves money, and what not. How is not having a free base teleport better? It really just makes it more difficult for everyone, and makes games last a little bit longer than they need to. It just adds to build freedom.

And you don't seem to be understanding skill. Skill is the ability to do something well. So, having a good build takes skill. Taking the correct summoner skills takes skill. Knowing when to teleport for free takes skill. Having a good counterbuild takes skill. Having a good mastery set takes skill.

These freedoms allow for a variety of combinations. It is the mastery of the varieties and your ability to counter your opponent that constitutes skill. You cannot say that those things do no require skill or constitute skill, because that's just you misrepresenting skill. I'm not going to say denying isn't skill-based. I'm going to say that LoL is skill-based towards other things. Because it's a different game.

You cannot take merely the similar aspects from LoL and DotA and then only count the parts that DotA has so that core + extras = more skill. It doesn't work like that. If that were true, then I could say that DotA + making you enter 4 letter combinations every 20 seconds = more skill. But it doesn't. It requires the same amount of skill. Why? Because they are different skills. In DotA, you aren't expecting the 4-letter thing, but in my new game, you are. You can use those 20 seconds bursts to your advantage, because this is a new restriction you must try to abuse. All rules are like that. Your ability to abuse and utilize them is your skill. Having a different set doesn't make you more skilled. It means you are skilled in a different manner.

I agree with Kael. Bay12forumites, you guys are nice and all, but you sure as hell know how to turn a debate into a full-blown argument! Stop belittling people because of opposing views. Just... debate.

Both games have huge (and I mean HUGE, LoL has gotten to be a giant and DotA hasn't stopped throwing its massive girth everywhere) playerbases, which must mean they are both doing something right. I personally prefer dota, could probably argue with the two penguins in this thread for ages. But in the end, its pointless. We each prefer different things, and nothing I say is going to bring them over to the DotA-side.

(Although to be honest DotA vs LoL has always been a heated rivalry. Its not too odd to see it leak onto this board.)
I think both games are great! I, however, do not want people to say things like "DotA is more skill-based" because that is just flat-out wrong. I am not saying LoL is better than DotA, because that isn't necessarily true. However, the DotA community is notorious for being terrible, and you cannot have the mindset of "You're new, so you're bad" if you want more people to like it. They need to change that.

I will, however, say that I am more fond of League of Legends, because I never did care for the denying aspect. It seemed cheap. LoL lets me focus more on harassing and last hitting, so it's more of a direct battle with the enemies, instead of a passive (aggressive :P) one. I never noticed the super powered champions until now, because I had never played that often, but I kinda like that LoL tuned down their power. Sure, it does make them more similar, but seeing as how you don't get direct access to all of them, that is also a benefit. You don't need to have one specific champion to counter another. You can use a subset. It also makes memorizing all of the enemies skill a lot easier.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2011, 01:34:37 pm »

I think DotA 2 is ruining LoL for me. I miss runes, I miss a decent art direction, I miss items that do stuff, I miss unique heroes, I miss the lack of runes/masteries/summoner/recall spells. I would say I miss denying, but it's not that important with decent zoning.
The problem with DotA is that the community manages to be A LOT worse than LoL's. Heck, I would say it's worse than Minecraft's! It's probably the only thing keeping me from saying "DotA is better than LoL". Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to flame or anything, it's just my honest opinion, don't take it as a fact.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2011, 02:01:56 pm »

I don't think anyone would disagree.  If the actual gameplay doesn't turn away new players, the community will.
Shoes...

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2011, 04:45:31 pm »

well..after trying dota 2 on my brothers account...its defenitly different in the sense dota 2 promotes being more agressive but at the same time, kills dont mean as much as in league of legends in terms of getting farmed, also the fact dota 2 games are alot slower at pushing to the enemy base, where most normal games in lol are 20-35 min average, dota 2 out of the 10 games i played its taken 40+ min each game...and then the spellcasters...i dont like how there is no way of scaling up a spellcaster...you can upgrade the ultimate..but thats about it, your spells do the same damage at level 16 as level 25 with the only difference is you can cast more of them if you live...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 24, 2011, 05:12:11 pm »

Kills mean more in DotA. A lot more. The gold advantage is more then what is apparent; you lose gold if you die, meaning you might only be gaining 300g, but you enemy is also losing 300g, making it a 600g difference. Thats a lot more of a difference then most LoL kills, unless he is Legendary or something...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:14:01 pm by Rex_Nex »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 24, 2011, 05:37:03 pm »

Kills mean more in DotA. A lot more. The gold advantage is more then what is apparent; you lose gold if you die, meaning you might only be gaining 300g, but you enemy is also losing 300g, making it a 600g difference. Thats a lot more of a difference then most LoL kills, unless he is Legendary or something...
meh, guess thats the thing, if you gank an enemy in lane and end up dying while killing your target, you lose more gold then you gain, and thats probably why dota2 is alot slower because teamfights flat out removes gold from everyone in the fight unless its heavily 1 sided...while its somewhat balanced in its own way, it feels counter productive to group up as a team and 5 vs 5 the enemy team unless your behind in gold.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 24, 2011, 06:01:05 pm »

Who teamfights for gold though?  Early game kills net you gold late game kills net you towers.
Shoes...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 24, 2011, 06:06:46 pm »

Well, webadict said everything I was going to say better and less aggressively.

What are some good junglers? Like, I'm experienced with jungling in league so I don't need too easy of a jungle, but nobody that would require a lot of experience specifically with DotA. Also jungle videos, though once I figure out who to jungle with I could likely find those myself. I just want to test jungling a bit I guess.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 24, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »

I remember Chen (Holy knight or some such nonsense) working out pretty well for a jungler*. Dunno how/if th'fellow's been changed since WC3 DotA, though.

Speaking of that, though, how much in DotA2 is, uh, actually new?

*Of course, part of his shtick was bringing the jungle out to play with everyone else, whee.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 24, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »

Only the graphics and voices are new.

Everything else is literally a carbon copy. Same heroes, same names, same items, even the same Unreal Tournament announcer. I never understood how they got the UT announcer... you'd think it'd be copyrighted.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 24, 2011, 06:51:17 pm »

Only the graphics and voices are new.
Well damn, there went the entirety of my interest in it. If I wanted to play DotA, I'd play DotA in the WC3 I already have :-\

Not in beta, so I can't see anything with my own eyes, but... that's pretty damn disappointing, that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 24, 2011, 07:07:32 pm »

I'm immensely curious for this game.

-I played some Aeon of Strife, which is quite different.
-I played some Dota, but I thought it sucked balls compared to vanilla WCIII.
-I tried HoN, I thought it sucked more as it was the same as Dota but I couldn't see shit on that screen.
-I tried LoL, thought meh. Tried LoL a year later again and I stuck with it.

Concerning Dota2, the hero artwork really doesn't click with me. I prefer old Dota/HoN/LoL to it. I am charmed by the UI etc. The map looks clean and slick, but the characters.. blegh..
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 246