Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 238920 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2011, 12:24:15 pm »

So I just randomly got this a few days ago. Not sure why, I never actually signed up for anything. But I played a game as Lich and did decently, except for my complete inability to deny.

Also, the "if everything is OP then everything is balanced" strategy they seem to have going is an intense alternative to LoL. Overall I don't think I like it as much, but this is probably the second best MOBA out there.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2011, 02:21:04 pm »

Balance is an issue with any Moba, I agree. I have issues with LoL balance, I have issues with DotA balance. Its too bad its not humanly possible to have both a fun game and a perfectly balanced game.

Ah well, I'm glad you like it :)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2011, 02:40:41 pm »

ya I dunno I kinda prefer the every hero is very strong in thier own way approach... LoL just got to the point for me where almost every char played exactly the same
Nom nom nom

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2011, 02:49:45 pm »

Yeah, the lower regard for balance leads to a lot of crazy stuff you'd never see in League of Legends, like the aforementioned rupture, there are several Amumu-tier ults,  Pugna's nether ward, which isn't as bad as rupture, not that bad at all, but it would get bitched into oblivion (hurr) if they put it in LoL.  The carries carry harder, the disables last longer, everything is more hardcore.

Also, actual real deny abilities.  I tried Lich mid in an AI game to practice and the other guy ended up being like three levels below me.  Auto-deny, strong denying (Good animation and decent early game damage), item independence (So he can focus on denying and not lose as much as the other guy, especially if they're a carry), and dat frost nova all synergize really well toward completely shutting down the enemy mid.
Shoes...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2011, 03:27:00 pm »

I definitely agree, also I don't know if it's just the games I've played, but I find that on average dota players have a lot more fun then LoL, in almost every LoL game I play someone rages cause they don't get 100 kills a game, in dota we lose horrifically and everyone is still laughing and having fun.
Nom nom nom

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

It's all fun until you're the victim of it. :)

Stop playing AI games and be faced with the incredible neverending 10 second chain stuns, being underlevelled by 15 levels and underfarmed by 10,000 gold; AND still be forced to play for 1 hour. Then you can come back with a different perspective on balance. xD

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2011, 04:10:05 pm »

Gotta protect LoL, dontcha ;)

I dont know. I played quite a bit of LoL (at least enough to get a perspective on what it is like) and I detested it. I didnt get the same highs during battles, the graphics turned me off, everything went too quick, ugh.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:11:44 pm by Rex_Nex »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2011, 05:02:31 pm »

No, just saying. When people talk about how "if everything is OP, then everything is balanced", usually only say that because they haven't actually had to experience getting ass raped by a real player yet. Sure, 10 second chainstuns are soooooo fun.... until you face it every single time you go in game.

I'm not saying this is a bad game, don't get me wrong. Just that first impressions are extremely biased in this genre. And that some of the comments here are incredibly misleading and are probably going to set people up for some extreme stress if they actually decide to play real games.

It'd be no different if someone said... "Man, LoL players are the best! I was in these low level newbie games where nobody knew what the hell they were doing and nobody raged omigod!" or "Wow, HoN has such awesome features like this ability to restart the match any time I love it that I can do this!" It'd be looking at the person who said that with the same face I'm making right now.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2011, 05:13:04 pm »

Yeah, I'm getting close to just saying fuck it and moving on.  I'm not ready for the shrieking throngs of Brazilians that wait for me in the actual game and the AI matches seem designed to be a barrier to entry.  It would be one thing if sometimes I was in an advantageous lane and sometimes I wasn't, but every fucking game the teams are stacked so every lane I pick is a fuckfest.

ANd then I play Skeleton King, start balling out of control, two-shotting their squishies, only failling to get divine rapier (Which would've made me one shot most of their team) because I killed their base before I could go buy it.

idk what to think about this game
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:20:48 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2011, 07:19:47 pm »

I think the main thing about the "if everything is OP" sort of balance DotA has is that it has higher highs - but its lows are way lower. Far too low to balance out for the typical casual player.

Also, all the ally disruption DotA has makes me nervous. Sure it allows for strategy at the highest level, but everywhere else there's going to be stunning the entirety of your team with voidwalker's ult or whoever's that is. Once again, higher highs but lower lows.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2011, 08:12:23 pm »

I think the main thing about the "if everything is OP" sort of balance DotA has is that it has higher highs - but its lows are way lower. Far too low to balance out for the typical casual player.

Also, all the ally disruption DotA has makes me nervous. Sure it allows for strategy at the highest level, but everywhere else there's going to be stunning the entirety of your team with voidwalker's ult or whoever's that is. Once again, higher highs but lower lows.
Yeah, you hit it on the nail right there. The disparity is so massive. It's really intimidating for newbies like us.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2011, 08:19:55 pm »

DoTa 2: Losing isn't fun!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2011, 09:03:29 pm »

This isn't a game for casuals. You want casual you go play league of legends, not trying to be a dick. Dota has always been a highly skilled game that takes weeks to a month to learn, many months to years to master. This game isn't for people who are new to MOBA, casuals, newbies in general, etc. It's just not gonna be good for you until you get past being a noob, and not being a casual with this game.

Also league of legends skill means absolutely nothing in hon/dota. 1000+ hours put into lol meant nothing when I switched over to hon. Absolutely nothing. Dota/hon is just far more complex and skill based than lol with a very big difference in playstyle between them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:05:29 pm by Vherid »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2011, 09:32:51 pm »

People are going to disagree that "LoL isn't skill based", but I have to agree in general. DotA is a hostile atmosphere until you are good enough for people to stop being hostile, so in that way I am not sure how the DotA playerbase is so damn large.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:59:02 pm by Rex_Nex »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 23, 2011, 10:34:24 pm »

People are going to disagree that "LoL isn't skill based", but I have to agree in general. DotA is a hostile atmosphere until you are good enough for people to stop being hostile, so in that way I am not sure how the DotA playerbase is so damn large.
Ya LoL has it's few skill shots, like cleaver... um ashes arrow?  And maybe one or two more things, but mostly it's spam, spam, auto attack, spam, run
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 246