Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 238901 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2011, 05:51:10 pm »

Does this game feel completely alien to anyone else?  I don't remember ever being half as bad at League of legends as I am at this.
Shoes...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2011, 05:55:35 pm »

Its a lot different. I am half-decent at LoL, but I get owned in DotA all the time. Its a change of pace; you have to focus on things you didn't before, and stop focusing on things you used to for LoL. It also is about knowledge; most of the people you are playing against probably have every single variable mentally noted. I knew just about everything about WC3 dota; Im sure people are the same for DotA 2.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2011, 07:51:55 pm »

Maybe I'm just trying too many melee heroes.  Gotta do something safer.  Tried Dorf Sniper and did pretty well against the computer.
Shoes...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2011, 07:57:10 pm »

If DotA2's anything like plain DotA, be careful trying the sniper vs humans. It's incredibly flimsy and not a very good carry, unlike most agl-prime ranged heros. You'll probably get by playing against (other) inexperienced players, but playin' the poor guy against folks more familiar with the game is just hell. Everything eats you and everyone knows it, plus your ult ends up pretty flimsy. Used to be one of the only DotA heros I could actually play to any degree (along with the ogre magi and the... shadow fiend, or something like that.). Dunno how the computer stacks up to actual players in DotA2, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »

In the metagame Sniper is a bad hero, but in pubs (and that is all DotA 2 really is) he is one of the best and insanely easy to play. He can shoot towers outside of their attack range (indefinitely; he has a skill that increases his attack range passively), does ministun (something like 60% of his attacks stun for .1 seconds and deal 40 extra damage), throws down an area-wide slow + damage, and his ulti can deal a good 355-600 damage nuke from up to 3k range away (or something. Specifics are foggy.)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2011, 08:02:27 pm »

If DotA2's anything like plain DotA, be careful trying the sniper vs humans. It's incredibly flimsy and not a very good carry, unlike most agl-prime ranged heros. You'll probably get by playing against (other) inexperienced players, but playin' the poor guy against folks more familiar with the game is just hell. Everything eats you and everyone knows it, plus your ult ends up pretty flimsy. Used to be one of the only DotA heros I could actually play to any degree (along with the ogre magi and the... shadow fiend, or something like that.). Dunno how the computer stacks up to actual players in DotA2, though.
I dunno if you stacked the sniper with a lot of health steals and attack speed items, then late game dmg, he was a beast in dota.  Especally with that mini stun, enough AS and you couldn't fucking move... ever.
Nom nom nom

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2011, 08:24:31 pm »

He could do that, yeah, but if you were up against anyone even remotely competent, the chances of being able to farm up to that point without being constantly ganked was basically zero.

Kinda' like the permastun troll warlord. Yeah, it was a thing that could happen, but only if the other side was genuinely terrible.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2011, 08:25:51 pm »

He could do that, yeah, but if you were up against anyone even remotely competent, the chances of being able to farm up to that point without being constantly ganked was basically zero.

Kinda' like the permastun troll warlord. Yeah, it was a thing that could happen, but only if the other side was genuinely terrible.
ya good point, the only times I've seen pro sniper vs pro team work is when your lanning with someone like earth shaker, or pudge.  Someone to keep the enemy offa you and stuck lock them for you occasionally.
Nom nom nom

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2011, 08:53:11 pm »

Troll Warlord, even if fully farmed and permastun capable, was still pretty bad. Congrats, you got one guy permastunned; now the rest of the team will beat the crap out of you whilst you do it. Too many hardcounter items too; Blademail - Dead troll. Blink - Useless troll. Ethereal - Useless troll. Evasion - Useless troll.

Troll had to farm up EVERYTHING to be even remotely competetive with everyone else. His items were all about countering his counters instead of actually buying the best things for him. You had to waste so much gold on that, it wasn't funny. Meanwhile you could use a better carry that is actually useful before being completely done with his build.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2011, 09:53:19 pm »

well after this discussion I jsut had my ass handed to me by a sniper

Bloody harassing on that guy is INSANE in dota 2, he has double the range of other ranged attackers, and high base dmg so he can pepper you full of holes before you even get near him.
Nom nom nom

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2011, 10:17:21 pm »

Holy shit bloodseeker is radical.  As much as I love the ult, I can see why League of Legends straight up said they'd never implement a skill like it.  It's a terrible damned if you do damned if you don't situation.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2011, 11:31:45 pm »

Funny you should mention that. There was this huge, multi-paged discussion back in the day that the LoL devs put out about skills like Bloodseeker's ult and why they'd never implement such a thing in LoL.

Basically, it boiled down to...

1. It's so complicated and most people don't know how to deal with it.
2. It's really hard to convey visually what is happening (you lose massive hp because you move...)
3. It's really bad for new players as they would really, REALLY have no clue what happened since it's a counter intuitive skill. All it would take is one single game where Bloodseeker gets fed against brand new players and all these guys would be chased away from the game forever.

So yeah, that's why you don't see stuff like that in LoL.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2011, 03:40:05 am »

I really like the AI matches.  They're a lot better than League of legends.  The AI actually last hits, roams, ganks, and transitions into mid-late game instead of pushing the lanes 24/7.  I would go as far as to say it's better at the game than the kind of people I remember playing against when I started LoL.

The only thing I don't like is that not all the heroes are AI implemented and the game seems to select heroes specifically to ruin my day.  Sven/Juggernaut versus Zeus and Crystal Maiden, yeah, great idea.
Shoes...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2011, 04:12:55 am »

Yeah, I really wish that you could choose AI teams for better practice.

I played a game with Jude and remembered why I don't play Furion. Nightstalker got so fed that by the end of the game I was just meh, whatever.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2011, 11:52:10 am »

Furion is a great hero... just not against NS :P Once you are silenced, all you have is your damage to save you (and Furion has good damage). Unfortunately, NS's silence also makes you miss on attacks. So you are quite literally helpless if you are a slow, squishy mage or DPS hero.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 246