Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 238895 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2011, 06:35:23 pm »

Bloodline Champions manages it and they have five different skills and an ultimate for each character.

Bloodlines is also not an AoS :P

It's an arena map, from what I've seen.

Old DotA, at least, (And AoS-style maps, in general. DotA2 -- and LoL, HoN, whatever -- are still not much more than WC3 custom maps :P) was larger than the average arena map, and long distance travel was a fair bit more common. There's periods where you're just walking from point A to point B, and being able to tell yer dude to just 'go there' is pretty useful, then.

How does a wasd config deal with summoned critter micromanagement, anyway?

-- Which isn't to say wasd wouldn't work. There's been AoS maps done with that, too, and even with how clunky WC3 is with manual control like that, it's pretty functional. It'd be interesting to have it toggleable!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2011, 06:37:04 pm »

... why would it be WASD based... How would they even keybind everything if it was WASD based... =|

Bloodline Champions manages it and they have five different skills and an ultimate for each character.

WASD movement, Mouse1 normal attack, Mouse2, Q, E, R, Space for normal skills, F ultimate, Z and X for EX moves, 123 for medaillons and mouse movement to change camera position + aim your spells. It's like everything is skillshots and smartcast based.

And it works.

Doesn't just work. It works REALLY well.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2011, 07:11:36 pm »

Played (and won) first real game ever! Didn't know what the hell was going on at all, just spent the entire time listening to Tidehunter talk about eating things. Then pressing my skills once in awhile.

Teamfights would be like:
1. "Wait, a fight is starting? How? There was no one nearby!"
2. "Ohshit, shit is happening yellow and purple stuff all over the place! I should press R!"
3. "I see a red outline! Charge!!!!! Q E Q E Q E"
4. "Why am I silenced? Why can't I move!? Am I stunned? Why is there a yellow box around me? Wat?!"
5. "Oh, it's over? What happened?"

Repeat for 40 minutes until we win.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2011, 08:06:49 pm »

Played (and won) first real game ever! Didn't know what the hell was going on at all, just spent the entire time listening to Tidehunter talk about eating things. Then pressing my skills once in awhile.

Teamfights would be like:
1. "Wait, a fight is starting? How? There was no one nearby!"
2. "Ohshit, shit is happening yellow and purple stuff all over the place! I should press R!"
3. "I see a red outline! Charge!!!!! Q E Q E Q E"
4. "Why am I silenced? Why can't I move!? Am I stunned? Why is there a yellow box around me? Wat?!"
5. "Oh, it's over? What happened?"

Repeat for 40 minutes until we win.

My favourite part of teamfights is not realising your dead and still expecting things to happen.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2011, 08:20:28 pm »

Anyone happen to catch the proper release date for this??  So anxious of reading about it XD
Nom nom nom

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »

Well i hate to be asking, but im starting to realise i wont get a key from playdota.com, so if anyone has a spare key ull make me happy :D

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2011, 09:11:33 pm »

I just want a proper fucking tutorial.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:16 pm »

Meh, are keys nearly impossible? So long.. not a key....  >:(

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2011, 12:09:19 pm »

I got a key.  I haven't gotten my two extra keys yet, supposedly they've stopped doing that because people were selling them.

Two things are bugging me right now:

1.  Why is allowing you to pick where AI heroes go in a single-player match such a daunting thing to implement?  For once in my life I want to solo mid in an AI game, but I've never seen a game that lets you do it.

2.  Why do the people who code dota tutorial websites not know how to image-link?  If I'm just now learning how to play the game, I don't know what item that little picture you showed me is supposed to represent.  Makes it hard to figure out what I'm supposed to buy.

That's one thing league of legends really spectacularly got right.  They know how to make the game accessible.  I fucking hated Dota because trying to get into it was like trying to punch through a brick wall, but I picked up league of legends easy.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:11:23 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2011, 12:17:29 pm »

ya it's kinda sad how rare keys are... any way at all to increase the chances of getting one?
Nom nom nom

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2011, 12:18:50 pm »

1.  Why is allowing you to pick where AI heroes go in a single-player match such a daunting thing to implement?  For once in my life I want to solo mid in an AI game, but I've never seen a game that lets you do it.
Just walk to mid. The bots will go somewhere else.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2011, 12:21:31 pm »

Oh.  Well, I'm dumb.
Shoes...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2011, 12:30:38 pm »

Cmon guys! Sign up for my DotA key in the 25 Days of Christmas giveaway!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »

this is quite confusing, I never got any key or notification however dota 2 is now in my owned games list... if someone gave it to me thank you very much, or if not then... thank you wonderful and random steam :D
Nom nom nom

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2011, 12:46:15 pm »

That's how the beta works now.  I think they're ramping up the numbers that get it or something.  It just appears in your steam library and if you check your email you'll have the golden ticket.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 246