Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 238860 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2011, 09:09:21 am »

These are not the HoN or LoL forums.

Thankfully. :D

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2011, 09:18:31 am »

Another broadcast is starting: Once again Keelie stream is highly recommended as they're generally explaining for LoL players - http://www.own3d.tv/live/39572/Keelie

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2011, 09:19:04 am »

This game... part of me wants because I wasted a good six years of my life honing my skills on it, as well as Valve having a backing behind it, but...
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2011, 09:34:01 am »

Another broadcast is starting: Once again Keelie stream is highly recommended as they're generally explaining for LoL players - http://www.own3d.tv/live/39572/Keelie

Now it sounds like they're commenting on the match, but the match isn't up on the stream. :/

EDIT: They're trying to get it back up on This stream.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:40:44 am by Miggy »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2011, 09:45:04 am »

I have the Keelie stream running just for audio commentary while running: http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/international/?q=hd&c=English which is still showing the match.

Everyone's having some sort of stream tech trouble.

The main stream's audio is so shitty.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2011, 11:47:38 am »

The graphic in Dota2 I've seen so far aren't breathtaking. The character portraits are pretty but I liked the background and attack animations in HoN way better. Dark Seers shield skill is horrendously ungly for example. That thing has to go before release.

I hope they improve visuals before release as otherwise the inevitable killing of HoN by this game is going to be fairly pointless as the lobby system there is perfect.

Can't say much about LoL but I guess it has a bigger chance of survival since it's different and people have wasted money on upgrades and won't be to eager to lose them all in Dota2.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2011, 12:05:53 pm »

I think it's looking great.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2011, 12:11:48 pm »

Can't say much about LoL but I guess it has a bigger chance of survival since it's different and people have wasted money on upgrades and won't be to eager to lose them all in Dota2.
On what now?

IMO the graphics are fine, though I find it a little bit hard to indentify the different heroes.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2011, 01:31:49 pm »

Everything looks fine to me. This is, and you can tell, DotA 2. DotA 1 was one of my favorite games ever; I don't really care if this is "nothing new"; I'd gladly pay 60$ for DotA wrapped in better visuals and it's own client/ranking system.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2011, 01:36:23 pm »

So disappointed at the SEA teams :(

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2011, 03:05:23 pm »

Also, does someone want to make a new topic for Dota 2? I'm really lazy and cba making the OP any good.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2011, 03:08:18 pm »

The graphics are a mixed affair as far as i concern. the background is a pure proffesional graphic design/art, beatifully drawn and yet isnt interfering with the rest and actually manages to stay a background, but the heroes are bad. animation, effects and units design wise.

i got this feeling that valve's artists are frustrated that they couldnt design the units themselves, it seem like all the things that were noted as crucial for making the migration from dota easy for the players just stayed really close to the original WC3, which is really bad as the units there were kinda forced by the existing models and werent designed from the ground up to visualy match their purpose. all the other stuff were they got artistic freedom, like the catapults and the flying donkey are just great and i am sure the artists had a lot more pleasure making them than copying the models from warcraft 3.

Valve still has a lot to do before it can even compete with HoN, not to mention LoL which is really a MAJOR step up from the formula and while not yet competettively viable, is still a much better game for the non pro's (i wont say casuals, because LoL still maintain enough depth and skill requirement)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2011, 03:32:25 pm »

The graphics are a mixed affair as far as i concern. the background is a pure proffesional graphic design/art, beatifully drawn and yet isnt interfering with the rest and actually manages to stay a background, but the heroes are bad. animation, effects and units design wise.

i got this feeling that valve's artists are frustrated that they couldnt design the units themselves, it seem like all the things that were noted as crucial for making the migration from dota easy for the players just stayed really close to the original WC3, which is really bad as the units there were kinda forced by the existing models and werent designed from the ground up to visualy match their purpose. all the other stuff were they got artistic freedom, like the catapults and the flying donkey are just great and i am sure the artists had a lot more pleasure making them than copying the models from warcraft 3.

Valve still has a lot to do before it can even compete with HoN, not to mention LoL which is really a MAJOR step up from the formula and while not yet competettively viable, is still a much better game for the non pro's (i wont say casuals, because LoL still maintain enough depth and skill requirement)

Well as you can see the animations and such aren't streamlined yet. Most easily noticeable was the buildings being destroyed, they would go from point A to B instantly, but then go back and play the animation of going from point A to B. The artists couldn't FULL recreated their own things, but some of them did take on liberties and some of them look a lot better. Venommancer who was just a starcraft basilisk, looks awesome in dota 2.

Besides this is only the start of the game, and the start of the game has every dota hero. Obviously in the future they will start making up new champions to add to the game, and the artists can shine then.

I think it could easily compete with HON considering hon is a bringover of dota but, it's not really dota. League of legends however will indeed be a little bit harder to compete with because lol is just a big difference from the dota/hon side.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2011, 04:02:34 pm »

Venomancer is no where near as good looking as slither, slither wards are better, the animations are better and the model itself is better.

I dont think it "can compete with HoN", i think it will downright crush HoN eventually, but it is nowhere near that point right now. unlike LoL, Dota and HoN are exactly the same game, and s2 cant compete with the resources and name valve has. also, icefrog, who for some reason not sure why, seem to be important to dota people.

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2011, 04:15:43 pm »

... also, icefrog, who for some reason not sure why, seem to be important to dota people.

My stepbros (both big DotA players) say he's fantastic at balancing the game and introducing heroes without breaking it. Just at release I think the server support will be better because of Valve, and the balance will be better from IceFrog, than other moba games. Keep in mind this is still just hype/testing and I'm sure at release everything will be much, much smoother.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 246