Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 238837 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2011, 04:22:45 pm »

Well, as long as we are all sticking up opinions of "herpa derpa not going to do a well as LoL or HoN", a preliminary Alexa report placed the amount of people that crashed the dota2 official website to sign up for the beta and watch the games at 6 million.

6 million.

That's no small number.

The chinese and russians swarmed their streams in such numbers that they had to take it down and run with only the English ones. Totally unprepared for the amount of people that wanted to watch.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2011, 04:45:58 pm »

I only have a little bit of experience with HoN and LoL. Almost none with the original Dota, however, a friend of mine is a huge fan of the genre. Played Dota and HoN and he keeps me somewhat up to date with what's going on with at least those two games. What I hear from him, I'm not liking most of the design decisions and the reasoning behind keeping things the same as they were in the original Dota. In several cases they're inserting hurdles for the players, simply because in the original Dota there was a engine limitation that caused an inconvenience. I hear some people are in favor of this kind of stuff, in that it "requires skill." But in my opinion, it's just elitism. A bit "screw you" to new and lesser experienced players that Dota got away with only because sometimes it was unavoidable and there was practically no competition out there, at least none that did it any better. Now, things are different. There is competition, there are alternatives, and I think HoN and LoL are going to go this a lot better than Dota 2 will unless they get their heads out of their butts. Valve is a nice ace to have in the hole, but it won't save them if it's just a crappy, inaccessible game that only the hardest of the hard core Dota players will want to stick with.

Yeah, they're getting a lot of attention now, but that's to be expected. I'm waiting to see what the reactions are once the game is actually being played by a lot of people and not just a few select hard core players. I could be wrong, they might be able to survive on a name alone, they might be able to evolve into something better than I've seen and heard about so far, but I really hope if they make it it's because they've actually done things right and not just because they've got money at their backs.

I for one absolutely hate the "secret shop" and a lot of the holdovers that HoN(to a lesser extent) and LoL(to a greater) have already done away with or improved upon. You'll probably see me sticking to those two games as long as they're still around. If I"m still playing. (The communities of both tend to keep me away from them game unless I get a strong urge to play.)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2011, 05:51:36 pm »

I'll be hosting some games of DotA1 shortly. Message me on steam - KaelGotRice or pay attention to the DFC for more info.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2011, 05:53:12 pm »

Any other AoS style games planned? Maybe even... the original? I'd totally be down to hunting up my old SC/WC3 discs for that :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »

TBH I just want to get DotA practice in and see how it's changed in the last year.

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2011, 09:59:09 pm »

what i like about dota 2 is the look of the game. Its not all clusterfucked like in HoN wherein just a little clash and youre struggling to find out what the hell is going on.

but the attack animations are just...ughh well some of them are ok but a lot of them do kind of suck
compare slardar dota 2 to slardar dota 1 the latter had more "umph" in his swing the former is kind of fucking holding back kind of ruins the feel of him being a heavy hitter
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:07:15 pm by em312s0n »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2011, 07:27:29 pm »

Seriously, does anyone have a dota 2 beta key I can have, driving me nuts that everyone else seems to be getting one.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2011, 09:30:18 pm »

Seriously, does anyone have a dota 2 beta key I can have, driving me nuts that everyone else seems to be getting one.
I hate to mooch off of other people, but same here. Does anyone have any beta keys we can have? D:

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2011, 03:38:10 am »

Yeah, the game is currently the 9th played game on Steam. I would kinda like to try it too.

I think they want to have the tutorial before the invite people that haven't played Dota before (even if they have 500+ hours in other ARTSs). Though there are unavoidably a ton of people like that in the game already because of the extra invites.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2011, 06:24:01 am »

I just won the daily key draw (2 in 65,285 chance... but it was more like 50 in 65,285 yesterday because of some turkeyday special), but I don't want to be handing out my extra keys until I know I have no one outside of my close knit group of friends that wants one. If I find I am forever alone, I'll throw my extra 1/2 in this thread :)

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2011, 08:34:38 am »

Well, if you are one day in dire need of competent comrades I'm willing to bravely sacrifice myself and take that key. Somehow my actually pretty old Playdota account hasn't been enough to give me a win in that draw and I think Valve is withholding my key until I finish the 50-ish games on my steam account that I've never even installed.

Anyway, have fun  :P

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2011, 03:30:50 pm »

Yeah, the game is currently the 9th played game on Steam. I would kinda like to try it too.

I think they want to have the tutorial before the invite people that haven't played Dota before (even if they have 500+ hours in other ARTSs). Though there are unavoidably a ton of people like that in the game already because of the extra invites.

Plenty of people who've barely touched MOBA games have been invited.

I just won the daily key draw (2 in 65,285 chance... but it was more like 50 in 65,285 yesterday because of some turkeyday special), but I don't want to be handing out my extra keys until I know I have no one outside of my close knit group of friends that wants one. If I find I am forever alone, I'll throw my extra 1/2 in this thread :)

Wow lucky, I'm willing to play with you and such for it as well. I've played dota/lol/hon.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2011, 05:07:46 pm »

Valve should be giving only one key instead of three to each person. There's people selling keys everywhere, it's pathetic.

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2011, 01:55:58 am »

If any of you play Dota 2 and are getting sick of playing with randoms, I've found a pretty sweet group of people called In-House Gaming. They're pretty fun and kind, to the point of having a slot left as four people say "No no, you take it." They generally prefer you to have some experience with a MOBA, preferably Dota, but if you're willing to stick around and learn you should do well.

The forum is http://inhousegaming.net, place an application in and the leader, Kowzz, will get around to reading it fairly soon. Has a lot of variety in players, I've heard a lot of Europeans, and I'm an Aussie, but predominately there are a bunch of US members.

The idea behind IHG is to play an in-house game between members. To fully enjoy Dota you need a team that communicates with you, and playing against friends, with friends, makes it even better. In- House Gaming aims to have at least one inhouse going 24/7, with region spanning members.
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2011, 03:40:33 am »

Friend just sent me an invite. Downloading now.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 246