Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 238912 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #3420 on: August 28, 2013, 02:34:51 am »

Anyways...Is there anyway to do well as Pudge early if the enemy team obsessively wards?

Well... counter-warding is fun. Also, picking off supports who are trying to ward is a great way to make support players cry (and their carries bitch about the lack of decent warding). Get your own aggressive wards set up and you can dominate their jungle.

Alternately, smoke. Purchase every smoke available, and use them. I'm pretty sure Smokes are the #1 item Dendi buys on Pudge, for this very reason. Wards are harmless if you can walk right past them!

Alternately alternately, get aggressive and push towers with your team. Pudge isn't an amazing tower killer, true, but he excels at killing people trying to defend their towers. Early on, most enemies won't have strong counter-initiation, so a good hook+dismember into your own 5-man is a guaranteed kill (and often a free tower afterwards).

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: August 28, 2013, 05:28:48 am »

On average you should have slightly above a 50% winrate. Assuming that there is ~10 games between the bottom teir and where you end up, you should win more games then average until you get to that position. This means that you will probably start off significantly above 50%. After that your winrate will begin to go back down and approach 50% as you play more and more games. Unless you are super pro like umiman that is, and can sustain significantly higher then 50% winrate forever (due to falling off the end of the bellcurve or never playing solo quene or whatever).

Alternately, smoke. Purchase every smoke available, and use them. I'm pretty sure Smokes are the #1 item Dendi buys on Pudge, for this very reason. Wards are harmless if you can walk right past them!
I have a minor disagreement here: wards are actually actively harmful for the people who place them if you use smoke. They assume (especially if your team lacks invis heroes), that wards in the right positions mean they are completely safe, when really it lets you get into a position to kill them without any real problem.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:49 am »

IIRC Dendi sometimes starts with a smoke, just so he can gank whenever he likes.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: August 28, 2013, 07:19:09 pm »

Double post!

If you bought a compendium and created a fantasy team, check out your inventory today for a free item depending on how well you predicted.

1 star = common
2 star = uncommon
3 star = rare
4 star = mythical

I got hair for death prophet. My team of Alliance + Xboct only did 3 star grrrr...

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: August 28, 2013, 09:15:38 pm »

I've been dual laning with a friend and although we mostly go random I was trying to find a bunch of heros that work well together and aren't overly difficult to use. Any ideas?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: August 28, 2013, 09:26:33 pm »

Well, there's the infamous Wisp + <other>, with <other> usually being CK (though Tiny and a few others are also popular). If you're communicating with your friend, Wisp isn't terribly difficult - spot an enemy hero on his own, Tether your ally, give them a 2-second warning that you're about to gank, teleport to and kill the target. Free kills every time Relocate is off cooldown!

KotL + PL is another scary combo. KotL's Chakra lets PL spam that damn lance constantly, which lets PL win pretty much any lane on his own (while KotL farms the jungle). It's very tough to win early-game against KotL's turtling power, ensuring that PL gets the time to get fat. Later, Recall lets PL aggressively split-push (something he loves doing) and still join the teamfight when needed.

Those are the two famous 'combo' pairings, at least.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: August 28, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »

I've been dual laning with a friend and although we mostly go random I was trying to find a bunch of heros that work well together and aren't overly difficult to use. Any ideas?
Venomancer + Juggernaut is the infamous super kill lane. Requires no skill at all beyond the two of you knowing how to press Q.

Beyond that, any two heroes with stuns can be very easy. Rubick + Leshrac. Sven + Lina. Vengeful Spirit + Sand King. The list goes on.

Other than that you have niche hilarity, make-the-enemy-ragequit lanes like various Tiny handgrenade lanes. Things like Tiny + Centaur or Tiny + Techies. Tiny just throws the "grenade" into the enemy and everything dies.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: August 28, 2013, 11:00:04 pm »

Venomancer + Juggernaut is the infamous super kill lane. Requires no skill at all beyond the two of you knowing how to press Q.

Beyond that, any two heroes with stuns can be very easy. Rubick + Leshrac. Sven + Lina. Vengeful Spirit + Sand King. The list goes on.

Other than that you have niche hilarity, make-the-enemy-ragequit lanes like various Tiny handgrenade lanes. Things like Tiny + Centaur or Tiny + Techies. Tiny just throws the "grenade" into the enemy and everything dies.
Jug + cm a pretty scary lane as well and I loved Techies Tiny lane it even better now since toss is max distance at all lvls instant first blood.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: August 29, 2013, 02:04:12 am »

Crystal Maiden is actually nice for this, because of the way her "stun" works :
Use is on a (jungle or lane) creep, and it lasts for 10 seconds, dealing a total of 700 damage. So you can earn gold from the jungle without even being in it for long (just go and cast, then come back to gank).
Her controls + the mana aura giving your ally a greater spam-ability can win lanes pretty easily, especially if your ally has a stun of some sort (Chaos knight for example is pretty good for that). And the AS debuff on her Q is a very good carry-killer :D

Marchosias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: August 29, 2013, 08:40:12 am »

I did my very first pub captains mode as captain yesterday, drafted my team darkseer, Templar assassin, jakiro, razor, and bane for myself verses lion, undies, weaver, lifestealer, and pugna; we went on to me razor and jakiro tri-laneing top as dire and totally forcing the solo weaver out of lane, to me roaming bot to where he went to getting first blood on the lane that darkseer soloed vs the undies and lion and passing the lane ta totally won from pugna, and going on to win 36 to 27.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: August 29, 2013, 09:40:44 am »

Hmmm. I've been playing a few games with my friends with 5 of the same hero.
A team full of Zeus is pretty hilarious to fight against.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: August 29, 2013, 09:42:42 am »

guys full refresher, and let's deal all the damage to all the ennemies ! :D

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: August 29, 2013, 10:02:20 am »

Fug, double post
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: August 29, 2013, 01:11:49 pm »

I had an interesting DOTA2 game last night.

First, I've learned that playing with a team is WAY more fun. And that Captains mode is amazing.

I also learned the INCREDIBLY PAIN OF MARATHON GAMES! We were kicking this team's butt, but their Storm Spirit had a strategy - bloodstones. Four of them. Seriously. It was annoying as all hell, but actually worked. Their entire team came around him, and stretched the game from 40 minutes to an incredibly painful 80 minutes. They just farmed... and farmed..... and farmed... they wouldn't bother pushing at all until we would try assaulting their base (for, usually, a complete wipe) and they would STILL fail to kill our base.

But yes. 80 minutes, what the hell. It's an asshole thing to do, really. I warded EVERYTHING with sentries, and we caught their silencer. Rallied the team, and game over. But we were EXHAUSTED.

Any thoughts about 4-bloodstone 1-heart Storm Spirit? He abused the hell out of ball lightning. Did you know that he becomes invulnerable when activating that? It really screwed with my targetting (Ogre Magi!)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: August 29, 2013, 02:49:44 pm »

But, you just needed the silence item, didn't you ?

There is a counter to everything ;)
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 246