Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239912 times)

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #2520 on: May 13, 2013, 11:07:14 am »

The start of the streaming was mute, which left us with gems like
http://i.imgur.com/XLXHGPl.jpg
This is when they noticed that they had been talking to a wall for 6 minutes (Delay and all that)
http://i.imgur.com/PIbnfL7.png
http://i.imgur.com/xLN7bCk.jpg

The matches have been pretty standard, always decided in the first steps of the game. Nothing epic... yet.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: May 13, 2013, 11:29:28 am »

The ingame stream hasn't had those problems, but we're stuck with an inability to get into the stream because so many people are trying.  You know, I get having your servers overwhelmed, but this happens every single time there's a big event with basically any game.  You'd think they'd have figured out by now that they need to plan ahead.  I've probably already missed the draft and at this rate I might even miss first blood and my 1 in 40,000 chance of getting a first blood tourney item.
Shoes...

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #2522 on: May 13, 2013, 11:39:24 am »

Aspire to be able to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TUd7BON-xQ
Talk to the few pixels on my screen representing the enemy in a Russian accent and fail at getting a bottle. Duly noted.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: May 13, 2013, 12:10:04 pm »

Man... got into the first two games in DotA TV, no problem. The third, I've been trying since it showed up on the tournament page, failed every time.

Looking at the console log, it seems that all of the connection servers are overloaded. I'm not great at network optimization, but a 6 second retry period seems a bit aggressive... every time you try to connect, there's a dozen or so connection attempts made if the server doesn't respond in 6 seconds or less. Multiply by tens of thousands of people trying to connect, and you've got a whole bunch of flooded servers. And given that Valve's sold over 100k Compendiums, they should've been expecting this kind of demand.

I'm also disappointed with the item drops. The compendium advertises that you 'become eligible for item drops while watching the International!'. Yeah, sure. 2 item drops per match, maybe more if there are awesome multi-kills. When there are 55k viewers, 2 item drops are pathetic. Couldn't we have a decent chance of actually getting items?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: May 13, 2013, 12:17:09 pm »

Yeah, it'd be nice but at the same time those things are super fake-valuable if you actually get one.  A ChuaN triple kill lockjaw from the TI2 finals is getting offers in the thousand dollar range on Reddit.

But yes, overall there's some serious issues.  We paid ten bucks for that compendium and at this rate it looks like we're going to be rolling the dice to get any kind of benefit from it, even as far as getting to watch the live games.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: May 13, 2013, 02:00:40 pm »

Bahahaha...  Just saw this video, detailing one method for the creation of N'aix "mines".  It's the last one they display in the video, and some pretty funny stuff.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: May 13, 2013, 02:05:00 pm »

Aspire to be able to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TUd7BON-xQ
Talk to the few pixels on my screen representing the enemy in a Russian accent and fail at getting a bottle. Duly noted.
Every single creep got denied except for one. So out of around 5 waves of creeps, jugg only got the exp of 2.5 and 35g.

It's almost perfect laning.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: May 13, 2013, 03:23:49 pm »

Oh my god this is bullshit.  I'm still trying to connect.  Of the five games, I've seen two drafts, two games from after they were basically already decided, and one of them I never got into at all.  It'd be one thing if this shit didn't happen every single time Valve has ever had a big event, but it does.  They drop the ball with server capacity every fucking time, and it's always a surprise to them.

You know this is gonna happen in the actual International too.  This newest DD vs AL game only has 10k viewers, presumably because no one else can get in.
Shoes...

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: May 13, 2013, 03:46:25 pm »

Yeah... it's been getting worse all day. The first two games this morning (which I both got into, first try) had 55k viewers. The count's been dropping steadily throughout the day.

The one glimmer of hope is that the qualifiers will demonstrate the issues, and Valve will fix them for the finals themselves. It looks like a hardware limit (not enough servers to handle connection attempts), so I'd expect the problems will continue for the rest of the qualifiers. But the finals aren't for a while, plenty of time for Valve to get these issues sorted if they are so inclined.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: May 13, 2013, 03:54:54 pm »

I've somehow got six views on my courier now.  I'm not sure if six isn't enough for any upgrades, if the view counter is bugged, or if the upgrade system just plain doesn't work.
Shoes...

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: May 13, 2013, 05:29:29 pm »

Yeah, it'd be nice but at the same time those things are super fake-valuable if you actually get one.  A ChuaN triple kill lockjaw from the TI2 finals is getting offers in the thousand dollar range on Reddit.

But yes, overall there's some serious issues.  We paid ten bucks for that compendium and at this rate it looks like we're going to be rolling the dice to get any kind of benefit from it, even as far as getting to watch the live games.
You'll still get the courier upgrades if you watch the replays according to cyborgmatt.  You don't have to watch them live.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: May 13, 2013, 06:00:36 pm »

You don't even actually need to "watch" the replays, you can download them. Click play and exit it when it loads.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: May 13, 2013, 11:11:11 pm »

Horray!
Fixed an issue where Dota TV connections could fail with several thousand spectators.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: May 14, 2013, 01:06:07 am »

Given how much faster the community is reaching the stretch goals we set up, we’ve decided to add some more, based on the many conversations we’ve seen the community having around the compendium. In particular, the big gap between the 2nd and 3rd is something we’re addressing. More on that tomorrow.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: May 14, 2013, 07:13:29 am »

I'm looking for the replays of DOTA2 *cough* elite *wheeze*

People without wards, couriers and boots.
5 hard-carries in one team.
Boots of Speed starting item and so on.

If you have any absolutely abysmal replays, please PM their ID to me.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 246