Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239891 times)

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #2475 on: May 09, 2013, 05:48:18 pm »

Also for the ones that did get the compendium, some stats: http://www.datdota.com/blog/?p=145

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: May 09, 2013, 06:34:34 pm »

Any way I can help a new player have a decent experience in this game?

I was trying to bring someone over (a League player), but the experience was awful. He was forced into a 15 minute tutorial focusing on things he already knew, so he had to get through that before we could actually play together. When he did, I got him into a bot game, and he was immediately overburdened by the amount of heroes. After a few minutes of flipping through, we decided on Clockwork for him and Crystal Maiden for me - I was planning on giving him the mana to spam out clockworks spells and let him have fun ganking.

Then somehow DotA auto-binded his Teamspeak push-to-talk to its own push-to-talk, so we had to spend a few minutes fixing that. At this point I knew he'd be hopelessly under-leveled in lane, so we restarted the match. Then came the items - "There's like a thousand items. Why do some need a secret shop? You cant be serious, that was a horrible design decision! What do I get? Where is the core items list?" etc. I'm not really a big dota player myself, so I pointed him towards tangos/stoutshield/boots/bracers, the usual kind of stuff.

So we get it lane. Almost immediately he's tanking creep hits (League minions are much weaker), so I warn him about that. The lane gets pushed, and we're at the tower. He tries to hit the tower, DotA's tower rules are different so he loses half his HP before getting away. Then the Venge/Bountyhunter kill him.

Anyways, to not make this a page-long reply, he had a real tough time with all the options available in DotA - it's too complicated. The map is too big, there are too many items, there are too many heroes, what the hell is this flying donkey doing here, etc. He rants in Skype about how horrible of a time he had, and I'm left unsure of what I could do to help the problem.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: May 09, 2013, 06:38:28 pm »

Absolutely nothing, he is obviously someone who likes the simplicity of league, with the easier to react to fights.  Where nothing can kill you in seconds and such.  Really if he starts off hating the idea that it's complicated and theres a lot of options, you're not gonna force him into liking it.  He's just not that type of person.

On a less critical line of thought, play againt easy  bots and give him some right clicky, powerful hero.  Like drow or something like that.  Also don't try teaching someone a hero you don't play, so it's not confusing when he asks what items to get.
Nom nom nom

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: May 09, 2013, 06:49:14 pm »

As a side note: remember the shop has recommended items. Sometimes these are terrible (Battlefury is a core for Bounty Hunter!), but usually they're at least adequate. And they're easily available from inside the interface. If he doesn't know what to buy, tell him to use the recommended items as a shopping list.

I'd also support kilakan's suggestion for a ranged semi-carry, like Drow, Sniper, or even Clinkz. Laning is a lot easier if you're ranged. Plus, Clinkz has really obvious core items (Orchid is the right item 9 times out of 10).  ;)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: May 09, 2013, 07:31:45 pm »

To add onto Thexor's clinkz suggestion, the only thing I'd be worried about is your freind not remembering to use clinkz's ultimate or activate orchid.  So I'd go with a sniper or drow, he might also have some fun with a windrunner since you feel pretty awesome as a new player when you land double shackles or get a powershot kill.
Nom nom nom

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: May 09, 2013, 07:35:22 pm »

Viper and Drow are probably the most noob friendly heroes to play.

But yeah, a lot of league players prefer league because it's just generally easier. Some people have stockholm syndrome but I think generally most LoL players prefer the casualness.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: May 09, 2013, 07:49:05 pm »

To add onto Thexor's clinkz suggestion, the only thing I'd be worried about is your freind not remembering to use clinkz's ultimate or activate orchid.  So I'd go with a sniper or drow, he might also have some fun with a windrunner since you feel pretty awesome as a new player when you land double shackles or get a powershot kill.

True. Sniper might be a good choice, then. Use Shrapnel to push waves, and use Assassinate for those ever-so-satisfying pick-offs. He doesn't use a lot of active items (Shadowblade, maybe MoM if you're really aggressive), he's almost impossible to harass, and he can right-click basically anyone to death by the mid-game.

Drow's a bit more complicated (proper use of her orb, keeping her ult active), but might still be a good choice.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: May 09, 2013, 10:10:45 pm »

I'm very tempted the next time I get Sniper, to get an Orchid or Euls.

Just so I can endlessly spam his two spells. Because to be honest, both of them are really good spells. That ult cooldown especially. 655 damage every 10 seconds whaaaaaaa!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: May 09, 2013, 11:55:43 pm »

Bwahahaha...  Just had a co-op bot game.  Everyone decided to random.

...Not.  One. Carry.

We were Batrider, Lion (and I suck at Lion), Jakiro, Timbersaw and Shadow Shaman.  We were as supporty as it gets.  Not even something silly like Lina or Treant to carry.

We fought against Viper, Death Prophet, Tiny, Chaos Knight and Zeus...  In other words, a bunch of people who could (and did) make our lives a living hell.

But, somehow...  We made it.  We managed to outmaneuver and outpush the bastards, and then nuke down the particularly troublesome ones in order to survive the getaway.  Hit-and-run tactics and map control, basically.  The game lasted just under 50 minutes, with a 70-50 kill balance that we'd just barely managed to swing back around to our favor before we took the throne.

Great stuff.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 10, 2013, 01:15:53 am »

Orchid Sniper might actually work. +attack speed for those l33t Headshots, endless mana, and the active's got 900 range so you can reasonably use it before an encounter. In fact, I'd consider it downright viable if there's an opponent worth silencing - Orchid might be core in a Sniper vs Anti-mage fight, for instance.

In related news, I lost a match today where our main carry, Outworld Dewhatever, picked up a Bloodstone. Yeah.  :'(

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: May 10, 2013, 02:50:23 am »

What's sniper gonna do with endless mana? 
Shoes...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: May 10, 2013, 05:41:11 am »

Unending push, all the snipes.

Though not sure how much so on the former. Modern shrapnel is kinda' shit compared to older shrapnel :-\

Frumple wants bullet rain back, heh. Puny CC and minor AoE DoT is puny. Still decent enough for pushing and the CC's alright, I guess, but old shrapnel was for killing people, too. Much more visually impressive, too, imo.

But yeah, both his spells are kinda' expensive and being able to spam them is pretty awesome.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 10, 2013, 09:41:50 am »

What's sniper gonna do with endless mana?
His ult is basically a super long range Dagon 4 that reveals invisibility with a 10 second cooldown.

Shrapnel is good for farming and pushing towers. Also gives vision and the slow is super annoying in a fight. It hurts quite a bit too. Does a total of 480 damage for the entire duration. Real cooldown is only 6 seconds.

I tested it in a bot game and found out that yeah, just an Orchid is enough to give you almost infinite mana to spam your two spells.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: May 10, 2013, 12:12:37 pm »

I love playing rubick against sniper. Most sniper never use shrapnel, so I get an easy headshot. And unlike sniper, I have the mana to spam it. The only problem is that I pwn them so hard that they take too long to get to 16 and give me that sweet 10 seconds cd.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: May 10, 2013, 12:17:33 pm »

Shit, I didn't realize the cooldown was so short.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 246