Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239838 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #2250 on: April 10, 2013, 12:48:12 am »

Its important to note that this code is from DOTA 1, and has the possibility of having been in the code for quite a long time without being implemented (and if it isn't even implemented in DOTA 1, then it isn't very likely to happen in DOTA 2, at least anytime soon).
EDIT: Apparently at least some of these items have been in the DOTA 1 code for at least two years, so I don't think that these will make it into even DOTA 1 anytime soon.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:08:54 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: April 10, 2013, 12:53:11 am »

Nah, Sniper's Assassinate is his cast animation. It's the same for things like Earthshaker's Fissure, Tiny's Toss and Lina's spells. Even Shadow Fiend's ult is just his cast animation. This is why when Rubick steals them, he can cast those spells instantly as he doesn't steal their cast animation.

It's pretty crazy for things like Profit's Teleport. Even Fissure is bonkers in Rubick's hands. Jakiro's everything. There's a lot.

On an unrelated note, some random stats group posted that Dota 2 somehow surpassed LoL in most players. I don't really buy it but here it is: http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/10/dota-2-more-popular-than-league-of-legends-in-the-west-report/

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: April 10, 2013, 03:25:31 am »

Except Rubick still has to go through the cast animation for Assassinate. In fact, he's got a unique cast animation for it.

You're right that most spells, however, are cast without a cast time. Earthshaker and Leshrac are the two most obvious, with nearly-instant activation of some very powerful stuns. That same video shows some of the other spells that do and don't have a cast time (Prophet's TP still does, for instance).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: April 12, 2013, 03:26:59 pm »

I personally prefer to max Rift on Puck first, then go for Orb after.  The damage increase per level is the same (if I remember correctly), but getting a longer silence can make all the difference.  And the mana cost increase is hand-waveable when compared to the boost in efficacy, especially when you consider that these things aren't exactly spammable.

All depending, you may want to put a point or two extra into Shift early-ish.  For example, I think just the second-level Shift (when timed beautifully, mind) will let you completely avoid things like Tiny's avalanche.

Also, hello everyone.  I just recently got back on the net after being disconnected since March 26th.  Whatever Dota-proness I may have deluded myself into thinking I had before is almost certainly gone.

The fellow I took on in order to help teach him about the game, however, has gotten it into his head that he's hot stuff and is assembling a team.  I shake my head and sigh at his poorly-typed babblings, and wonder if he still needs someone to ping the map in order for him to find the secret shop...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: April 13, 2013, 06:55:01 am »

Games like this have a very strict sequence of events that players follow.

1. Newbie stage
Assuming the player actually wants to continue playing, this is when he has the most fun. Learning stuff, not understanding what is going on, he can't get mad because he doesn't understand anything.

2. Soloqueue stage
Slowly starting to understand the basics of the game, the player now takes the game a little more seriously. He finds himself getting angry occasionally but he still constantly refers to himself as bad and will listen to other people's opinions more often than not. Depending on the player, this stage may be quite long.

3. Pissed off stage
With a moderate amount of understanding of the game, the player now finds himself criticizing everything. This is probably the most annoying stage for other players because the player himself is by no means great, just relatively decent. At this stage, the player will actively complain about Russians / Brazillians, soloqueue, stacking, cheap tactics, etc.

4. Team stage
The player would have somehow found a team of players at this stage and is actively trying to prove his team's ability. He talks about entering tournaments or having great Elo or anything along those lines. This stage is probably when the player is the most serious, actively going for extremely tryhard strategies and getting wins and elation off the newfound teamwork. This stage is also when the player brags constantly about teamplay.

5. Jaded stage
When the player's team invariably fails, most likely due to one or two players being worse than the rest. Friendships will be ruined. You will stop hearing about teamplay bragging or the like. This stage also generally has minor depression associated with it and a good number of players stop playing past this point.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: April 15, 2013, 12:20:26 pm »

I of course read "soloqueue" as "soliloquy"...

Anyways, it's more that I think I just feel bad about helping really introduce someone like that to the slightly more serious DotA world.  But then I feel good again because hey, I've got a padawan.  Or something.

I'm probably somewhere between 2 and 3, but I at least have the decency to (mostly) keep my criticisms to myself...  Well, sometimes.  Unless they start griping about how much I'm a feeder noob, when they have 8 deaths to my 3.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: April 15, 2013, 01:47:08 pm »

I think stage 2 and 3 should be switched, more comon in new people to complain about external factors all the time.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: April 15, 2013, 02:55:28 pm »

So, is anyone in this thread still needing invites?
Like everyone, I have quite a few over, so please ask if you need one ;)

Also, what are your favourite heroes, guys?
Mine, at least at the moment, are Tiny, Warlock, Spectre and Storm Spirit, in that order.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: April 15, 2013, 03:44:15 pm »

My favorite heroes are Chen, Undying, and Brood
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:46:48 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:24 pm »

Random.  8)

I like playing Rubick a lot. He can do anything. I like Doom and Lycan too. They just walk into fights and not afraid of anything.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: April 15, 2013, 05:26:42 pm »

Random's awesome. That said, I really like Dark Seer (and not just because he's first-ban in the meta). Ion Shell is hilarious against poor melee players, like the AM + ES combo I once faced that both lost 50% of their life on the first creep wave.   :)

Awesome early game with Ion Shell + Surge, great farming, good teamfight, a pseudo-disable (and TP canceller, take that Bloodseeker!), an escape skill that can be used on allies... man, I don't know what to hate about him.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: April 15, 2013, 06:40:24 pm »

Random random random, only character I haven't played a full game with yet is Clockwerk, for some reason.

I've got plenty of favorites, but I'd have to say Slark is definitely high up there on the list.  Also Ogre Magi, Treant, Rubick (of course), Lifestealer, Doom, Jakiro, Pugna...  So, yeah, a few.  Slark is the only one so far I've actually starred in-game though, so I guess he's my main man (that or I'm just lazy).

Also, how on earth are you supposed to do Spectre?  I've never been able to do much of anything useful the few times I've played her.  I can understand how Dispersion is an awesome passive, but Desolate just seems so tricky to pull off.  And her ultimate is equal parts awesome and useless.

If you think Ion Shell is hilarious against melee players, try it against the bots.  Bots flip out completely and just start running away, regardless of how much health they have.  And they also run directly away from you, even if that means charging into your tower.  They also refuse to use any skills until they're out of the ion zap range, including hard disables or TP's that would save their lives.

I once got 14 kills in the first 12 minutes as DS.  I think the bots are a TEEEEEENSY bit smarter these days though.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2262 on: April 15, 2013, 07:09:14 pm »

Spectre requires a really good team to support you while you farm for the first 30 or so minutes, then you're unkillable.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: April 15, 2013, 08:30:42 pm »

Which sadly never happens in pubs.  :-[

I don't have much experience with bots, but if you're looking to dominate pubs, early-to-mid-game gankers are king. The standard "5 carry" team doesn't handle Slark, Riki, or any other mid-game ganker very well. The other team is 99% guaranteed to not protect their hard(est) carry very well, so either you leave them alone and they farm up, or you kill them and they're useless.

Honestly, Slark sounds bloody cool, but I've never gotten around to trying him. The idea of a free heart + combat invis (so few pubbers carry dust/sentries) is very tempting. Maybe once exams are over and I can actually play, I'll give him a shot.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2264 on: April 15, 2013, 08:44:14 pm »

I see a lot of pubbers with dust and/or sentries. Sadly few gems, though. People underestimate how useful they are.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 246