Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239817 times)

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #2175 on: March 17, 2013, 05:05:48 am »

Another good one for tombstone farming is tidehunter. Anchor smash is physical and thus one shots zombies. Now, if you can get a few units together and dirge drops the tombstone...

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: March 17, 2013, 08:15:24 am »

Does anyone with cleave count?

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 17, 2013, 08:43:17 am »

Not so much, since it only affects the zombies that spawn in one direction. Now, gyrocopter is another story. Hell, half of the reason he rose to fame in pro games is that he counter tombstone hard. The other one being divine+flak cannon RAMPAGELOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 17, 2013, 09:35:38 am »

Ok so DotA 2 is finally working for me, and now I have some questions, as all I've played before is LoL.

1) Laning: It seems that you have much more limited mana than in LoL, leading to using abilities only to run or to get a kill.

2) Buying items: In LoL, you just teleported back to base. Should I buy teleportation scrolls, or should I just use my courier most of the game, and use extra healing/mana items?

3) Items: Is there an easy way to navigate the items menu? Or am I going to have to memorize it all?

4) Camera: In LoL, you can hold space to lock on to your champion. Is there anything like that in DotA2? The best I can find is pressing space twice to jump to my guy.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: March 17, 2013, 09:41:58 am »

1) Yes, that's usually right.

2) Use the flying courier, unless you're also low on life.

3) You can type in the name of the item you're looking for in the search bar and it should come up for you. :)

4) Double tap of space or F1 should do it, not sure of all else.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 17, 2013, 09:49:38 am »

Yeah, abilities are far more mana-intensive that in LoL, so be careful with their use. Late-game can see a lot more ability use, but still nowhere near the level of LoL. The courier is your best friend, and worth a good bit of cash if killed, so careful with it. TP scrolls are useful for quick response to threats in other lanes, as well as escaping if you can get TP out before they kill you or interrupt the channeling.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: March 17, 2013, 11:58:33 am »

Ok so DotA 2 is finally working for me, and now I have some questions, as all I've played before is LoL.

1) Laning: It seems that you have much more limited mana than in LoL, leading to using abilities only to run or to get a kill.

Yup. On some low-mana support heroes (like Earthshaker), buying a few Clarity potions is a good idea - 100 mana for a mere 50 gold, but forces you to disengage for a painfully long time.

2) Buying items: In LoL, you just teleported back to base. Should I buy teleportation scrolls, or should I just use my courier most of the game, and use extra healing/mana items?

You should be buying TP scrolls, but that's because they're awesome for escaping and ganking, not for shopping. ;)

Many items, especially early-game items, can be bought from the side shop. In fact, many starting item builds are based around what's available in the lane - people going Tranquils early on will buy Ring of Protection at base, for instance. All the boots except Tranquil, along with a whole bunch of other items, can be completed solely with side shop items.

For other items, the courier is your friend. In higher skill brackets, communicate with your team before using it, especially if it isn't flying yet - depriving mid of their bottle is seriously unkind.

3) Items: Is there an easy way to navigate the items menu? Or am I going to have to memorize it all?

As Korbac mentioned, there's a search bar. Alternately, focus on the recommended items - you can build your own recommended item pages if the default ones aren't good enough, or alternately find a popular guide.

4) Camera: In LoL, you can hold space to lock on to your champion. Is there anything like that in DotA2? The best I can find is pressing space twice to jump to my guy.

Short answer: no. Long answer: no by default, but it's possible to get something very similar through the use of console commands. I'm sure there's a tutorial out there somewhere for setting up Spacebar-focus with 'alias' instructions.

Hope that helps!

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 17, 2013, 01:07:36 pm »

I just remapped my "Select Hero" to Space, and it works about the same as Space does in LoL. I've found that the default keybinds in Dota 2 are overall okay, but to really be comfortable with the setup you have to customize them to a degree. Which is probably true with any game, but in a game like Dota where split-second decisions are crucial, that misclick could cost you your life - or the game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 17, 2013, 01:37:50 pm »

You can also double-click the hero portrait and the camera will stick to them, shifting a bit towards nearby units or where the cursor is.  If you start scrolling on the screen edges it breaks the effect.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: March 17, 2013, 07:54:58 pm »

TURN OFF CAMERA ACCELERATION

thanks

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 18, 2013, 09:10:12 pm »

Okay, so, say you're playing (through a momentary lapse of reason, All Random, or pure masochism) as Meepo...  And then say that you buy a Shadow Amulet at some point for Meepo Prime.

Would that not, then, allow you to hide in some tactical position behind enemy lines and serve as a poof beacon for the rest of the horde to cause mischief?

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 18, 2013, 09:30:35 pm »

Usually thats why you get a dager on meepo, i dont think shadow amulet would be good, you have to stay still, poof has delay, and generaly speaking i dont think you want to have a meepo behind enemy lines, it not tanky, it has no escape mechanism, etc wich means that a probable spot for ganking is also a bad spot to come back from. Dager yes, shadowblade? maybe? amulet id say no.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 18, 2013, 09:44:35 pm »

You could for sure. But it wouldn't change the fact that as long as one of the Meepos die, they all die. There also aren't a lot of places inside a base that isn't covered by tower true sight.

It's not really hard to play Meepo by the way. It's kinda the same as Invoker in that you have to memorize a few combos to start but once you do that it's pretty easy. For example, to succeed at Meepo you need to be able to:
1. Have hotkeys set up to help you control multiple units. How you do this is up to you, I personally use Z to select Meepo prime, X to select all other Meepos other than prime. And tab to shift. I also rely on clicking on them manually a lot. Not the most efficient but it's the most comfortable for me.
2. Make egregious use of the tab key, or whatever you set to shift between units. When you're ganking as Meepo you'll either be doing TAB W CLICK TAB W CLICK TAB W CLICK TAB W CLICK or TAB Q CLICK TAB Q CLICK TAB Q CLICK TAB Q CLICK. That's about it. The mass net thing is really fun as you can net an entire team from a gigantic range in about the second you smashed out those keys. It's also impossible to miss when you throw out 5 nets across a stupidly huge area, covering every single point of escape.

Other than those two core skills you just need to get adjusted to watching the health bars of 5 units which isn't too hard.

If you want to play him well however, then it's a completely different matter. Throw a blink dagger in the mix and suddenly he's beyond mortal difficulty. Oooh, what about a set of TP boots and a Sheepstick? @.@

--------------

Edit:

Oh my god. GD Studio has outdone almost every other e-sport show in existance. Their casts are almost primetime TV stuff. You've got amazing analysis, UI with live stats, an actual studio with full time staff and casters with an entire team, professional equipment, the entire works. They even have Bruno the Statman (of no-leg strat fame) so they have tonnes of statistics per match. Also they're going to have instant replays and analysis soon.

I highly recommend checking out their stuff now. I think the only other time I've seen something of this caliber is Korean Starcraft matches. Here: http://www.twitch.tv/thegdstudio

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 19, 2013, 03:55:24 am »

so...i have 5 wins and 15 losses in matchmaking, 9 of those matches were today and again...6 were losses and only one i could actually blame myself for...but only because nyx assassin + luna could chain stun/kill me in 3 seconds.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 19, 2013, 04:02:17 am »

Have you tried Stacking when entering the Queue? This makes victories much more likely, in my opinion. The small bump in overall difficulty is more than compensated for by the fact that you can actually co-ordinate stuff. :)

Also, anyone up for phat gaems this Saturday? :) I'll be coming home for 3 weeks and although there will be work and such I should have ample time for using Soul Catcher on that Kobold Taskmaster or Ravaging that Raged up Lifestealer.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 246