Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raging elephant  (Read 513 times)

Boogey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raging elephant
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »

Okay, what's wrong with this picture:

I have army of 12 men and around 10 war dogs and 10+ hunting dogs. An elephant runs in the fortress thru various weapons traps, kills all the dogs and around 20 random dwarfs. From winter to autumn, troops refuse to either leave barracks which is one door away from the raging elephant, they either sleep or ... just don't leave it, not even if they are in squads on 1. Patrol, station, none of it works, they just stay in barracks. Eventually elephant runs to barracks and kills all troops who at this point sleep, not getting injured at all himself.

Bugged elephant or something that's supposed to happen?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Raging elephant
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 07:30:00 pm »

Elephants are mighty. Fear them. I've seen lone hunters to bring down more than a few, though. The main trouble is the lazy idiotism of military dwarves. They seem like a bunch of drunken retards right now, as they spend all their days just whacking each other on the head and drinking, only visiting duty for a moment when there is no more booze. I hope that will be fixed in the future.

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 07:46:00 pm »

Millitaries are fairly useless right now.  They have incredibly lax work ethic, rarely spend any time actually on duty at their post.

This is why I have a line of cage traps - 1 trap gets an elephant.  They can run right through some weapon traps, and can just trample dwarfs without even meaning to, but a cage trap gets it.  (use a double line if you get whole herds running in)

[ July 15, 2007: Message edited by: Entropy ]

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 07:58:00 pm »

I've had to deal with 60 elephants in my current fortress. My advice to you, skip the weapon traps and put in stone traps. Just a huge long line of stone traps with really good quality mechanisims.

seizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:08:00 am »

Elephants tend to get ignored by your military right now as they have the [BENIGN] flag. Turning your military dwarfs into hunters should make them attack it.

Aryoc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:46:00 am »

Are you sure you set them 'on duty' as well as stationing them where you wanted them, by the way?

Boogey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 11:36:00 am »

Yup, they were on duty; they just refused to fight. I've come to believe they had what could be described as Dwarfen Hangover, as later on my troops again had "no trouble" killing elephants outside of the fortress.

Funny enough, after this accident game speed dropped to 1/4th of what it was before and never really recovered back. First time for me to game go slow, as normally it runs like a charm.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:58:00 am »

That slowdown is evidence of borked pathing. Was there a locked door near or in your barracks by any chance?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Boogey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

Oh yes, I locked some doors, which of course I opened later on (without gamespeed returning).

Pathfinding & jobs (and such) do seem to cause lots of headache once situation chances. There definately should be a "job queue refresh" and a "pathfinding refresh" event attached to some tasks, such as calling dwarfs indoors.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

Elephant are evil. Don't fuck with them.

Boogey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

On another fortress (that's going better than well):

I have shitloads of "loot" outside, tens of dwarfs are trying to go and gather it. There are two wolfes at the same spot.

I have an army of 20 men, devided into 4 squads. I send all squads to the spot, not far away from the fortress. The stubborn person I am, I wait and wait and wait. After couple season changes, none of the armies (all on duty) show up to the spot.

Well, didn't matter really, as wolfes were long gone. Whom ever said armies are useless - yes, I agree. I think I'll rather have them as peasants doing hauling than useless bunch of people doing nothing put drinking and eating...

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 03:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Boogey:
<STRONG>On another fortress (that's going better than well):

I have shitloads of "loot" outside, tens of dwarfs are trying to go and gather it. There are two wolfes at the same spot.

I have an army of 20 men, devided into 4 squads. I send all squads to the spot, not far away from the fortress. The stubborn person I am, I wait and wait and wait. After couple season changes, none of the armies (all on duty) show up to the spot. </STRONG>

The army doesn't move to the spot, the leader does and they rest follow him. If the leader is sleeping/eating/doing something else... you'll never get them there.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks