Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smooth cilff face?  (Read 978 times)

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smooth cilff face?
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:09:15 am »

Has anyone ever had an embark with a smooth cliff face 20 or so Z-levels? Is it possible to generate? I want to carve out somethink epic (like Petra http://www.atlastours.net/jordan/treasury.jpg), but this slopy cilffs i get all the time wouldn't let me do it. Any ideas?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth cilff face?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:54:49 am »

You can always smooth it yourself by channeling down

Earth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:59:16 am »

Its possible, i've got one myself, but only about 7-10 zlevels. Just need to remember where it is in the world. Seed is:2822418428 on a 65x65 world. I dont remember its exact location, so using the name seed:843450250 - its north of the forests of glittering, against the western edge of the mountain of luster somewhere in the hills of Glee(I -think-) Might be a bit west of it, I know its against the mountain. It takes up most of a 4x4 embark zone, and juts out from an even larger mountain face.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:34:49 am »

Raise EITHER (not both) the x or y variance for elevation to its max. This will allow much larger changes in elevation, but only in one direction. Lowering the other value may help produce desired results, depending on how flat you want the non-cliff terrain to be. Turn off periodically erode extreme cliffs. Lowering the erosion cycle count will help, too, especially if you try to use mountains to find the desired cliffs. That's all I got off the top of my head.

Unfortunately, even with this, finding a large section of flat cliff can still take time.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 05:05:11 am »

You could try some major rivers. At times, they end up being really really deep, so you got sort of a canyon. Granted though, this isn't exactly what you're asking for but the guy above already told stuff for generating steep enough mountain cliffs. Regardless, they'll be difficult to find because mountains try to be triangle-shaped, or at least as close-to-it as possible.

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 05:45:49 am »

You can always smooth it yourself by channeling down

The result would look like a pocket in a slopy cliff, and that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to generate that world of yours, Earth!

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 09:19:01 am »

If you're generating a custom world, there's an option down near the bottom for "Periodically erode extreme cliffs" -- set that to NO. 

My current embark has a ridge running through it that's roughly 50 z-levels from ground level (river height) to the peak.  Given that it also includes a volcano, the lava pipe is exposed on 3 sides for about 10 z-levels.  Literally a tall tube full of flaming doom sticking out of the side of a mountain ridge as steep and sharp as an axe blade.  The sides of the ridge DO still slope, but you only see 1-2 tiles exposed on each z-level, making it very easy to channel out a vertical cliff.

Also, I'd like to point out that Petra is actually in a little valley/box canyon, so channeling out the cliff would actually be MORE authentic than finding a perfectly sheer cliff.