Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Only the strong survive  (Read 1511 times)

Waefre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Only the strong survive
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:39:47 am »

Hi, all.

I have a question for anyone running [0.31.25] on Mac OS 10.6. Have you ever taken a look at your world_history.txt? Every time I gen a world, it seems that the continued existence of sentient life at all is nothing short of a miracle. In 300 years, and over a thousand civs, there are a grand total of 57 monarchs who inherited their throne from a parent. The greatest majority of monarchs never even marry. I've been curious about this, so I took a look in the Legends, and it seems like there is never a year that goes by in a fortress without at least one megabeast / titan invading, killing dozens, and then being driven away (and most of the time, one of the kills is a royal). I won't try to post a civ's ruler list, just because they are many, many pages long (I do keep the files, though).

I'm not entirely certain if this is a bug or just something to do with world generation criteria, as I use a set of custom settings (mostly the changes are maximum volcanoes, minimum temperature, plus extra caves and minerals). I did just make a quick gen using the Create New World!, and it did have the same trouble, so I'm guessing not. I didn't see anything similar on the Bug Tracker, either.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: Only the strong survive
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:08:17 am »

Yea.. death occures alot during world gen.  One thing is for certain - nobility don't have high life expectancies!
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 08:00:28 am »

I love legends mode, and what you say is true op. Dwarves in particular tend to die off VERY easily, to the point where there's a fair chance that in a 1000 year world there is only a handful of dwarves living with humans and elves. It's better to restrict oneself to 100-300 years worlds.

Waefre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:29:02 pm »

I do restrict myself to 300 year worlds. I want there to be civilizations left that aren't my own (hell, I want there to be civs left PERIOD)!

I won't lie, it does make me kind of sad. I always enjoyed reading how one line passed the crown down to the nobledwarf in the golden room who fields the diplomats so my Mayor/Broker can actually do their job. Felt good, man. Now all we get is the lucky bastard who seized power fastest after the previous king/queen's untimely demise at the hands of something big and ugly.  :(

PS) Any Windows users who have noticed the same trends in their worlds?

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:20:33 pm »

I think (based on reading other posts) that the kings / queens have to duel with the invader, or fight with a small group of people. There is somewhere the story of a demon who killed some ungodly number of elves, building godlike stats and becoming invincible. Every year he would go and duel the king and kick his sorry ass.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:55:59 pm »

A thousand civs? Did you do some serious world gen tweaking or something because usually there's 5 or so dwarven civs.

A big problem with world gen in this version is starvation. Without no_eat and no_drink most tend to die of starvation which lead to low populations and perhaps vulnerability to beasts.

Waefre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:22:36 pm »

No, I meant a thousand or so civs overall (Dwarf, Human, Elf, etc. etc.).

Sounds plausible, but I have to wonder what changed between 40d and 2010 that would cause starvation. It's not like Toady cut back on the different kinds of food or anything...

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:35:23 pm »

I think you might mean fortresses/elven retreats/human towns and things. There's only a handful of civs generated at the start who make dozens of expansions but are only led by 1 monarch or whatever their leader is.

Edit: to the other part, starvation didn't happen in 40d, it's a new addition. They actually grow and use food during world gen and if they don't have enough they starve.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:47:21 pm by BloodBeard »

Waefre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 06:50:32 pm »

I might be mixing the two up, I just saw the number I'm quoting next to "Civilizations and other entities" in Legends mode, and decided not to count the number of civs in the world_history.txt.

Ran into the starvation issue myself when the assorted tame large animals I got started dying off because I forgot to set a pasture for 'em. Oops.
However, I did just gen a bunch of worlds with [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK] on all the talking civs, and that does not seem to have had any effect on royalty getting ganked in their first year of ruling. So, while I may have more civs to trade with, clearly it is more an issue with weak nobles thinking their +pig tail robe+ is defense enough against the named, multi-titled megabeast.

Anyone know of a way to cut down on the number of megabeast attacks in worldgen? I seem to recall there being settings for when they choose to attack in the advanced parameters, so I'll be playing with that a little.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »

I might be mixing the two up, I just saw the number I'm quoting next to "Civilizations and other entities" in Legends mode, and decided not to count the number of civs in the world_history.txt.

Ran into the starvation issue myself when the assorted tame large animals I got started dying off because I forgot to set a pasture for 'em. Oops.
However, I did just gen a bunch of worlds with [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK] on all the talking civs, and that does not seem to have had any effect on royalty getting ganked in their first year of ruling. So, while I may have more civs to trade with, clearly it is more an issue with weak nobles thinking their +pig tail robe+ is defense enough against the named, multi-titled megabeast.

Anyone know of a way to cut down on the number of megabeast attacks in worldgen? I seem to recall there being settings for when they choose to attack in the advanced parameters, so I'll be playing with that a little.
You can only change when they attack a player controlled fortress. You could turn the number of megabeasts down, though,
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.