Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What type of player are you?

A gentleman
- 320 (87%)
Perhaps a lady?
- 21 (5.7%)
Other. - and No, NOT an invitation to spam about this choice below.
- 27 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 365

Voting closed: August 18, 2011, 12:25:51 am

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Gender Poll  (Read 10236 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: Gender Poll
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2011, 10:23:05 pm »

At any given time there's a 1-50+-3 chance that I will consider entering the bay12 forums, after which there is a 1-86,400 chance that I am in the position to enter the forums. Considering that there is a 1-156+-8 chance that there will be anything to respond to on the bay12 forums, and a 1-2 chance that I will care enough to reply to something on the bay12 forums, it is highly improbable that I will respond to something that is posted on these forums. In fact there's a 1-1347840000 chance that I have posted something on the bay12 forums and therefor possible and highly probable that an amoeba has done the same. It may also be highly probable that I'm wrong, dependent on one's understanding of classic literature.

Don't forget the 1-7 chance that I might be intoxicated and not in the right state of mind and the 1-42 chance that I might just pull something random out of my head (if I am on the wrong side of the 1-2 chance that I care enough to respond) and you will realize that I really hate statistics and don't understand why anyone would use them.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2011, 11:24:08 pm »

I'd also like to know: why the interest in how many women play? Why not ask about other demographics: race and ethnicity, income, etc? What is it about gender that makes this question significant? I don't see this question asked of men in female-dominated online circles. There are no women on the yaoi oekaki boards asking where the men are; no ladies on the relationship boards at a certain popular health site polling for gender in hopes of coming across lurking lads. No one found it odd in old fanfiction circles I used to haunt that most of the writers were women. But in video games, it's a big deal.

Is it, in fact, related to relationships? Maybe not an immediate one, but the hope of one? As in: if one women exists that likes this, perhaps others will?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2011, 11:29:32 pm »

Do you decorate your fortress with microline or rose gold?

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2011, 11:38:28 pm »

I am noticing a distinct lack of "Eunuch" as a gender option...and a lack of any of the other options...
Worship!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2011, 11:46:01 pm »

Do you decorate your fortress with microline or rose gold?

Who are you asking that?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2011, 11:47:10 pm »

I'd also like to know: why the interest in how many women play? Why not ask about other demographics: race and ethnicity, income, etc? What is it about gender that makes this question significant?

Because everyone knows there are no women on the internet  ::)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2011, 11:51:56 pm »

I'd also like to know: why the interest in how many women play? Why not ask about other demographics: race and ethnicity, income, etc? What is it about gender that makes this question significant?

I'd actually like to see the average IQ of the DF players. I suspect it's quite high (maybe to compensate for the Dwarves' range of 10-20?).
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2011, 12:07:13 am »

I do have the suspicion that this is what it comes down to: women that play games don't exist, and if they do, it's because they are biological aberrations. Which is a crummy way to view someone and, worse, view oneself.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2011, 12:29:08 am »

Men and women, to some extent, have different mindsights; Men may be more focused on killing everything that enters the map and maintaining a strong military, and women may be more focused on making sure the dwarves are happy and have rooms decorated with their favorite objects. [/gross generalization]

At least I assume that this is what the thread is about. After we figure out who is male and female we can separate the masochists from the sadists. Then we can figure out who is an expert micro-manager and who suffers from short term memory loss.

Quote from: Vector
Who are you asking that?

No one in particular, but are your fortresses blue or pink? :)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2011, 12:31:29 am »

Mine are all rock, all the time. Usually magma-safe rock. Make of that what you will.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2011, 12:32:23 am »

I've never played DF, actually.

And if I were to make a fortress, I certainly wouldn't color it all one shade.  Probably a wide variety of things, based on availability.

Based on how I play Civ and Caesar III, though, I'd guess that I'd start off with infrastructure, and then move on to making as large an army as possible.  I really hate unhappy citizens fucking up my production lines.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2011, 02:47:53 am »

You know, one of these days I'd really like to see you give it a shot. Not necessarily because you've never played, but because I think you could make something magnificent with it. Because, you know, you're a freaking genius. The things people do with this game puts my little "hole-in-the-ground" forts to absolute shame.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2011, 03:07:04 am »

:-[

Maybe I'll try in a little while, then.  Just to see what it's like.

Don't expect much >_>

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2011, 03:14:58 am »

I expect... everything.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2011, 03:33:21 am »

I've never played DF, actually.
That would be a far more interesting poll to me, actually. How many people who frequent this forum actually play DF anymore? How many, like Vector, have never played it?

You'd get more interesting results by posting it in the lower forums, methinks.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7