Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Directional keys "repeating" when game is going..?  (Read 2431 times)

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
Directional keys "repeating" when game is going..?
« on: August 03, 2011, 10:01:48 pm »

Firstly, I am using the pre-packaged version of Dwarf Fortress Advanced (I could not resist the temple to Armok!)

When I tap the keys while it is running, the screen moves twice*, instead of once.
When I pause it, everything works just fine, no double-moving at all.
I am asking for help because it makes it tedious and time consuming to select things...

*Figure subject to variation... moves 3 times sometimes...

edit: to pre-empt speculation, my dorfs are moving fine, and not lagging in the slightest, it's just my display stuttering when I tell it to move over...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:05:51 pm by magistrate101 »

GhostSade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Directional keys "repeating" when game is going..?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:05:32 pm »

Firstly, I am using the pre-packaged version of Dwarf Fortress Advanced (I could not resist the temple to Armok!)

When I tap the keys while it is running, the screen moves twice*, instead of once.
I am asking for help because it makes it tedious and time consuming to select things...

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the G_FPS cap being set too low. But I have no idea if that is it, I also have no idea what Dwarf Fortress Advanced is.
I like to approach things with a certain "mix" of insane vs. not insane...I DO have cruelty potential.  Like wanting to feed a bunch of unarmed elven women to a tentacle demon. 

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:08:02 pm »

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the G_FPS cap being set too low. But I have no idea if that is it, I also have no idea what Dwarf Fortress Advanced is.

Dwarf Fortress Advanced is a mod... I think google could have helped a bit with that... (hell, it's the first result in google....)

GhostSade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:23:39 pm »

Dwarf Fortress Advanced is a mod... I think google could have helped a bit with that... (hell, it's the first result in google....)
I figured as much. And I didn't care enough to google what I didn't care about.
I like to approach things with a certain "mix" of insane vs. not insane...I DO have cruelty potential.  Like wanting to feed a bunch of unarmed elven women to a tentacle demon. 

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:48 pm »

Fair enough, carry on.

GhostSade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:28:57 pm »

Fair enough, carry on.

Well I don't have much else to say, only thing I can think of is that I had a slightly similar experience but that was just when my caps lock was on and me trying to designate an area for digging resulted in checking wagon access. So I don't know, sorry. :/

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 11:10:40 pm »

Check the g_fps cap.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

GhostSade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 11:46:51 pm »

Check the g_fps cap.
Did noone hear me? This was the first thing I said. O.o

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 11:49:09 pm »

Check the g_fps cap.
I saw, but he didn't respond to that point when you said it: only told you to google the mod he mentioned.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 02:14:36 pm »

Check the g_fps cap.
I saw, but he didn't respond to that point when you said it: only told you to google the mod he mentioned.

And I have edited the main post to show it is not that causing the problem, as everything else is fine, dorfs are going about as they should be, at their normal speeds, it's just that ym screen moves 2-3 times each time I try to move it once.

It works fine when paused, but when I resume it, it goes back to this behavior.

And to make sure you people are listening, My G_FPS cap is not causing the problem!

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 02:26:22 pm »

Increase KEY_HOLD_MS. Setting it to 250 fixed the problem for me, but you might have to fiddle around with it a bit.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 04:01:11 pm »

Increase KEY_HOLD_MS. Setting it to 250 fixed the problem for me, but you might have to fiddle around with it a bit.
I was going to say, there's a line in the init file that determines how long DF waits before reading a held key as a second keystroke.

I think I set mine to 100 and haven't had any issues.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 04:35:36 pm »

Check the g_fps cap.
-snip-

Someone needs to chill out.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 05:42:05 pm »

Someone needs to chill out.

Someone needs to stop being so aggravating...  :-\

Also, my init.txt, and again, I am only tapping the keys and it produces these effects. Restarts do not eliminate it.
Spoiler: init.txt (click to show/hide)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 05:47:40 pm »

Check the g_fps cap.

dorfs are going about as they should be, at their normal speeds,

This has nothing to do with G_FPS
Pages: [1] 2