Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood dwarfs getting wrong skills  (Read 1546 times)

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
Strange mood dwarfs getting wrong skills
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:58:17 pm »

This happened twice so far.

First time, I was just thinking to myself... "Hey, I have a ton of leather and need leather armor. My leather worker is dabbling" BAM : someone has a strange mood, runs to the leatherworks. "Spoiler yeah!" Gets all his stuff, makes a artifact random piece of junk. Legondary + 2 TANNER. WTF?!?

Second time, woodcutter (high skill too) runs off to the masons shop. Grabs tons of stone. Makes me a artifact chest. (5x8 royal bedroom anyone?) Legondary miner. Wtf?! I already have miners, and he was a friggin WOODCUTTER who can't be a miner at the same time!

Please be a bug so I feel justified using runesmith to correct this problem.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood dwarfs getting wrong skills
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:00:21 pm »

Sometimes, if say a person is a tanner, weaver, or even miner, they might get a strange mood for leatherworking, clothesmaking, or masonry (respectively), but still get legendary in another skill.  :\

Legendary Tanning is pretty awesome actually, tanning usually takes AGES.  Now he can keep up with the butchers very easily.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:02:57 pm »

Damn. Ill admit tanning is okay but...

Legondary miner woodcutter damnit! What?!
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:38:43 pm »

Draft him into your military.  Pickdwarf!  Should actually work if you disable mining and woodcutting labors first, and don't try to switch him back and forth.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:18:28 am »

Damn. Ill admit tanning is okay but...

Legondary miner woodcutter damnit! What?!

Yeah, woodcutter and miner are moodable skills.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 12:22:48 am »

Just be glad that they got skills, my suturer made a bone shield and gained no skills.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:39:15 am »

Just be glad that they got skills, my suturer made a bone shield and gained no skills.

That's what happens when a dwarf is possessed.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 12:57:21 am »

This can happen to all dwarves if he is possesed by the dreaded pink exclamation mark. Even something as basic as a mason. It's quite disappointing when it's a dwarf with a useful skill, really.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 01:36:44 am »

Really, it's because he was possessed? I never noticed that they didn't get skills.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 01:58:33 pm »

The wiki describes all the moods, and states that possessed dwarves do not receive skills.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 02:09:54 pm »

My first strange mood on my latest fort was a possession.  I ended up with a useless pair of dog wool* trousers and I didn't even get a legendary skill to make up for it.  Sigh.  :-\

* Yes, dog wool.  I'm fed up with my grazers starving to death, so my dogs now grow wool and can be milked.  DOG CHEESE 4 EVA!  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 02:21:18 pm »

If somedwarf has a non-moodable skill (mining, planting, furnace operating) they'll get a random mood. Stonecrafting is common for me.
Also, Fell Moods/Macabre Moods always generate Bone Carvers.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 02:34:26 pm »

Mining is moodable.  Uses a mason's shop.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 03:14:04 pm »

Strange moods always use the highest moodable skill - your leatherworker had more skill in Tanning, so that's what he used. Wood cutting isn't moodable at all, so it used his next best skill: mining.

my dogs now grow wool and can be milked
Nothing wrong with dog's milk. Full of goodness, full of vitamins, full of marrowbone jelly. Lasts longer than any other milk, dog's milk - no bugger'll drink it. Plus, of course, the advantage of dog's milk is that when it goes off, it tastes exactly the same as when it's fresh.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.