Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flat volcanos or more convenient, magma pools that go to the surface?  (Read 1464 times)

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it possible?

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Flat volcanos or more convenient, magma pools that go to the surface?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:41:01 pm »

Yes.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:44:30 pm »

Can I mess with the generation parameters to get the desired effect?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:05:56 pm »

Why no volcano? They are the canoes, that burn.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:18:52 pm »

Yeah, I've spent some effort trying to get good flat volcano embarks as well. The first step is, of course, setting the minimum volcano number to the maximum (200), more volcanoes means you're more likely to find whatever ideal volcano spot you have in mind.

Turning volcanism x/y variance up a lot seems to help (the world I'm playing now was generated with 1600 each, maximum is 3200, got to try that sometime). With low variance your volcanoes tend to be clustered in mountain ranges (not known for being particularly flat..), but with higher variance you get them scattered in various random places, hopefully a few in flatlands.

Turning elevation x/y variance down should also help to get more flat land (I find I can't get away with much less than 400 each, or it just rejects everything). By the same logic, fewer full/partial edge oceans means more viable flat land for your volcanoes to spawn on.

In the end you'll still wind up with most volcanoes in sloped terrain, and the ones that do spawn on otherwise flat terrain often get a sort of small hill/spire created around them (this may be close enough for your purposes, if it's a relatively small spire you can mine it away and be left with a flat volcano), but you do rarely find a natural, completely flat volcano.

There are very likely other world gen settings that would help which I haven't discovered yet, but there's a limit to how far you can push things without getting every world rejected. Still experimenting myself..
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:32:46 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:15:45 pm »

Yeah, I've spent some effort trying to get good flat volcano embarks as well. The first step is, of course, setting the minimum volcano number to the maximum (200), more volcanoes means you're more likely to find whatever ideal volcano spot you have in mind.

Turning volcanism x/y variance up a lot seems to help (the world I'm playing now was generated with 1600 each, maximum is 3200, got to try that sometime). With low variance your volcanoes tend to be clustered in mountain ranges (not known for being particularly flat..), but with higher variance you get them scattered in various random places, hopefully a few in flatlands.

Turning elevation x/y variance down should also help to get more flat land (I find I can't get away with much less than 400 each, or it just rejects everything). By the same logic, fewer full/partial edge oceans means more viable flat land for your volcanoes to spawn on.

In the end you'll still wind up with most volcanoes in sloped terrain, and the ones that do spawn on otherwise flat terrain often get a sort of small hill/spire created around them (this may be close enough for your purposes, if it's a relatively small spire you can mine it away and be left with a flat volcano), but you do rarely find a natural, completely flat volcano.

There are very likely other world gen settings that would help which I haven't discovered yet, but there's a limit to how far you can push things without getting every world rejected. Still experimenting myself..

You ruined the one-line posts, good job.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:57:39 am »

You necroed them. Exellent.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 12:59:35 am »

I am picky, I want magma and shallow metals!

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 03:21:43 am »

You ruined the one-line posts, good job.

Please. I never stoop to one-line posts. [Fake edit: crap.]
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:37:11 am »

You necroed them. Exellent.
>necro
>4 hour time difference
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.