Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to properly dispose of prisoners?  (Read 933 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to properly dispose of prisoners?
« on: August 03, 2011, 04:35:32 pm »

every time I try to drop them in a pit, one gets lose and my entire fortress becomes a mess of dead bodies everywhere, both prisoner and dwarven. How do I go about doing this correctly? Is there a better way to dispose of prisoners?

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
Re: How to properly dispose of prisoners?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:46:05 pm »

It's usually good to take everything away froma  prospner first, armor, weapons, etc.
The actual method is described here.
Once they don't have anything to fight with they tend to become much more tame.

As for better ways to dispose them I seem to remember a thread about pitting hostile creatures by building the cage on top of a wall that sits directly above the pit you want the creature in.  You then connect the cage to a lever and and then deconstruct the wall.  The cage itself won't fall because the game already checked to make sure that it was sitting on a solid surface.  But when you pull the lever and deconstruct the cage the animal will fall into the pit the wall used to be covering.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:02:46 pm »

Also; this.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 05:30:12 pm »

You should be able to safely pit goblin soldiers and trolls, but thieves will sometimes escape. Most wild/hostile animals can escape, too, I think. I always station a squad by the pit while processing prisoners, just in case.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 05:48:23 pm »

1. Get lucky with a FB with noxious secretions that are boiling (FB will appear to "puff" the extract in a cloud).

2. Lure FB with a cat into a room divided by fortifications.  A bridge should be constructed against the non-FB side of the room (to block any of the boiling extracts).

3. Place prisoner cage in the other room and connect to a lever, lower bridge that blocks the extract, and pull the lever to release the prisoner.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

W - wall
F - fortification
B - bridge (lowered)
M - forgotten beast
g - released goblin
C - cage

4. Watch as the prisoner dies due to the boiling extract!

5. Raise bridge blocking the extract (to protect your dwarves), place another prisoner cage, and repeat.  Boiling noxious secretions don't become contaminants, and your dwarves (behind the bridge blocking the noxious cloud) are safe.