Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with military?  (Read 884 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with military?
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:52:38 pm »

So I have a couple military issues. First is that when I give my troops an order, they just rush off into battle barehanded, even though i gave each a designated weapon type, and manufactured silver weapons (cant find any ores for iron, bronze, anything). The other issue is that my troops are on a training schedule, but there skills dont seem to be going up.

Help please?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with military?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:33:54 pm »

Even if they're on a training schedule, make sure the squad is set to Active in the alerts menu.  Also, keep the squads small.  Large squads tend to wait around for demonstrations far more than actually participate in them.  Smaller squads also tend to have more sparring matches.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:49:16 pm »

Training progress is always slow if you don't have any skilled soldiers to begin with. If someone locked you and nine friends in a room with a few swords and told to become legendary warriors, you probably wouldn't make much progress, either. If you want to level up your military faster, you could make war on the local wildlife, or if you don't mind borderline exploits, use a danger room. That's a room filled with upright spike traps filled with training spears, by the way.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 07:44:35 pm »

Start with squads of four, on continual training for the first six months.  Make sure you have a Barracks designated as a training area for the squad created (all squads can share the same barracks area, but with more dwarves it gets better to have separate training areas).

As VerdantSF mentions, make sure the squads are set to "Active/Training", either through the Alerts portion of the military screen, or from the squad screen after selecting a squad.

As for the weapons, check what equipment they are assigned from the military screen.  m - e - select the squad/member and view their equipment on the right.  If they have have a green check showing for an item they are equipped with it.  If they aren't showing themselves as being equipped with the weapons you made, make sure there is a weapon stockpile, the weapons aren't forbidden, etc.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

HUGE_WALRUS

• Bay Watcher
  • What was that, sandvich? Kill them all?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 11:14:43 am »

Do you have an Arsenal Dwarf?  Last I checked, you needed one in forts of a certain size in order to approve equipment changes.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:17:34 am »

Do you have an Arsenal Dwarf?  Last I checked, you needed one in forts of a certain size in order to approve equipment changes.
Arsenal dwarves aren't in the current version.  Goodwin, which version are you playing?