Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Pirates! Gold!  (Read 3662 times)

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates! Gold!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 07:59:46 am »

Try finding cutthroats; terror on the high seas.
Quite aged, and you might experience compatibly problems. But it is the best pirate game i've found.

I would totally set-up an old pc just to run that game, i still have the box but not the disc  :-[ there has been no other pirate game ive played that even came close to its grittyness.

Age of pirates 2 with the Mod http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/17530-gentelmen-of-fortune-v11-faqbugsinstalling/
is a lot of fun but i still got bored quite fast.

<shrug> thinking about it im not even sure why I got bored as there is plenty to do but just no my style I guess.
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 01:13:39 pm »

I simply can't find the bethesda Pirates of the Caribbean game anywhere. Does anyone actually have it?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 01:24:00 pm »

I do, $5 (for US, don't know how much for other countries) to cover shipping and it's yours, I never liked it much anyhow, to unpolished for me.

Edit:  I just checked, I have the original jewel case, the two CDs, manual, software registration card, and a certificate to go see Pirates of the Caribbean (the original) in theatre.  In otherwords I have everything so you get it all if you want.  I wish I could just give it to you but alas, I am poor and need to buy things like gas rather than shipping games all over the place.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:56:37 pm by V-Norrec »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 04:28:45 pm »

There was a fan sequel to the original Pirates! I believe he called in Pirates! 2, but I'm not sure. It was very true to the original and added a few extra features, but in all, wasn't really that big of a step ahead of the original. I had luck finding the site again several years ago, but even at that point it was full of broken links and images, seemed destined to fall apart and fade away. I might still have the game laying around on my hard drive though. If I remember right, it was freeware, so if do I find it, anyone have any desire for me to upload it somewhere?

EDIT: I did find it on my hard drive, it's programmed for dos, and so requires dosbox, and ingame it does say freeware and allows it to be distributed freely. So all it'll take is someone to say so and I'll stick it somewhere and supply a link.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 04:38:50 pm by sluissa »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 05:39:08 pm »

Stick it somewhere and supply a link.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »

Original Zipped Install

rar of the pre-installed folder

The first link is, as far as i can tell, the original file downloaded from the website a couple of years ago.

The second link is a rar of the folder where I had the game installed. I offer this because I seem to remember having trouble actually getting it to install.

It does need to be ran through dosbox through. Doesn't seem to like windows too much and it needs EMS memory. Otherwise no trouble.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 07:42:17 pm »

Problem with Pirates 2 is that I can't get the sails to raise or lower by hitting control up/down.

Found another game like Pirates!  -  Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 10:08:23 pm »

Problem with Pirates 2 is that I can't get the sails to raise or lower by hitting control up/down.

Found another game like Pirates!  -  Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

I spent a large portion of my childhood on that game right there, the whole time I was playing Pirates! I was wishing I was playing Uncharted Waters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 08:23:15 am »

I really liked uncharted waters, but for some reason, whenever I start a serious trade route in that game I start thinking. "Wait... if all I'm doing is trading... I could just switch games and be working towards a bad-ass space ship instead." *Starts playing X3:TC*

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 07:27:45 pm »

I tried X3. I loved Elite. I really, really wanted to like X3. I didn't last half an hour. I hated it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 08:40:59 pm »

I admit, I'd prefer the depth of x3 in the elite universe. I loved FFE. But alas, that's a derail.

Back on (sorta) topic. Someone mentioned the Pirates of the Caribbean game. That was actually originally intended to be a Sea Dogs, sequel. So look into that series as well. It's actually a pretty good series, but the PotC game was rushed out of the door. Disney basically found a company working on a nearly complete pirate game around the same time as their movie, bought the rights to it, rebranded it and told them to have it done by the movie's release date. Thus, we ended up with a rushed out the door game that had a lot of potential but still fell short. I think the original Sea Dogs was, while slightly less advanced, significantly more polished.

The original Port Royale, and to a lesser extent Port Royale 2 are also worth a look. I've played both, and they both get mixed up in my mind a bit, except for the combat. In Port Royale 1 the combat was closer to a strategy game where it was fleet on fleet. In 2 they limited you to using one ship at a time, even if you were going up against 4 or 5 at a time. While this did simplify things a bit, it also made larger battles somewhat one sided. It was more of an economic simulator though, it allowed you to set up trade routes, hire captains, and one, or both games, I forget which, allowed you to actually found your own town, late game. Earlier than that though, you could create your own buildings in some towns if you had a good enough relationship with them, allowing you to not only trade between towns, but to produce goods as well (Or simply make warehouses so you could trade at towns without actually needing your ships there. Allowed you to better take advantage of the markets when prices were low or high.)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 09:33:22 pm »

If someone did a Pirate-based roguelike, using Pirates! Gold and Dwarf Fortress as inspirations.... imagine what could happen. Imagine the awesome, awesome roguelike that would be.

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 09:27:35 pm »

I'm so sorry :(, I just have to selfishly mention this: http://slashware.net/blog/2011/expedition-v0-3-released/

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:04 am »

If someone did a Pirate-based roguelike, using Pirates! Gold and Dwarf Fortress as inspirations.... imagine what could happen. Imagine the awesome, awesome roguelike that would be.

Shit, I've been needing a pet project. Maybe I'll give it a go.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 10:30:37 pm »

Did someone just say a pirate/sea roguelike?

Ooooh, the creator himself beat me to it.

I've decided to try this game again a few days before you updated Expedition and thought it was dead, today I've looked again and couldn't believe my eyes, A NEW UPDATE!!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:34:38 pm by justinlee999 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3