Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: 31.25 Succession fort - Holespears  (Read 7257 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.25 Succession fort - Holespears
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 04:58:56 pm »

Fine, cause you clearly have missed the fact in my update post that his map is only THIRTY levels deep. If you cant even handle a standard depth map, 140 Z levels, why show interest in a Succession game?

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 01:15:46 am »

Where did you say, that this is 30 z-levels deep? You said that about the 6x6 map and not the 4x4 map.
That and a 4x4 with 80-150 z levels (standard) is more then a 6x6 with only 30-50 z levels.
And it's not about the depth, it's the size. Not my fault the computer I use can't handle big fortresses. I understand you're going to want a bigger area, as you have more room building, and if you have a good computer, it's fine. But even a 2x2 map with normal depth has more resources than you'll ever use. I was just hoping to get into a succession game, but I don't want to waste my time going at 10fps and 2 gfps.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 05:14:05 am »

Diary of RTiger, expedition leader of The Citadel of Cleaning

25 Slate

And we have found Tetrahedrite, Cobaltite, and Marble further down. And about thirty levels down, we also have hit warm stone. Looks like we won't have much in the way of quality metals to work with here. I am not going to bother breaking the magma sea at this time. With all the coal readily available, there is no need for magma as a fuel at the moment.

Also, it comes down to simple math. A 4x4 embark is 16, and if you take it to the usual depth of 100, thats 1600 for your computer to render.

On the same note, a 6x6 is 36, and take it down about 40 levels, is only 1440 squares to work with, so how would it lag more then the standard map gen?

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 07:34:55 am »

1stly, I never wanted to use 4x4 embark with the regular depth.
2ndly, noticed how your fps drops when you hit the caverns? The full depth doesn't matter as much. It doesn't have to worry too much about the unexplored space. Also, don't forget the air, many bugs and birds are there.
But I suggest we forget this. You already started, I don't like this embark, and thus don't want to join, so everything's settled.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 04:26:44 pm »

I'll take a turn and a dwarf if possible, preferably a mason.  Seems like with only one migration we will be really low on dwarf-power.  Should be fun.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 04:35:17 pm »

This is with ironhand amirite?

Anyway, I guess I'll join. Can I get a male weaponsmith with short hair and a braided beard named 'Zero' as well as a turn?
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 12:26:16 pm »

I'm still in. Glad I don't have to manage the Aquifer plug and learned a bit from the way you handled it. Can't wait to see pics or saves.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 10:43:30 am »

1 Hematite

New season, so more plans are to be made. First off, a new storage area has been planned out, so we can stash equipment as we make it.

Second, areas for more workshops are being dug out.

Third. A plan has been put into place to pull the sand down to our level, so we won't need to travel far for sand. I imagine Glass will be a big part of this fort in the future.

Finally, working on a way to secure a water source for the men, though we rather have Booze. Speaking of which, how is that farming dig going?

2 Malachite

Migrants have arrived at last....

Except it is only 2 peasants, and 2 children. That doesn't help very much at all. Well, more hands to smooth and haul stone at least.

1 Galena

And here we go again. Look out below!!!

Except... the miner fell in...

He better survive... Losing a miner now would hurt dearly.

23 Galena

The call is not the best. Both of the miners legs have been smashed apart, but the dwarf can still stand. We are rather unprepared for injuries, so a hospital has been quickly made, and against better judgement, we broke open the wall to the cavern. We need that spider silk.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:37:11 pm by RTiger »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 12:19:29 pm »

6 Limestone

Yes, I can see you there Elk bird, now go away, thank you. Yes, that's me out here, standing guard at the breech. Still working on getting this trap set in place, but until then all I can do is scare these elk birds away.

In other news, the fallen miner is healing well.

15 Limestone

The elk birds brought some friends and swarmed the Breech, and one managed to get through right before the trap finished. After that was done, I gathered everyone together to bum rush the elk bird that managed to sneak inside. He went down quickly.

19 Limestone

Blasted bird. The thing took a few extra pecks at the already wounded miner, now he needs more work, and also, the broker didn't fare very well in the last fight. That means both of my miners are now on the injured list. I hope more migrants come soon or we will really be in trouble.

The trap however, seems to be working.

We eat Elk bird tonight!

10 Sandstone

The doctor has finally finished patching up the wounded, and both the broker and the Miner are back to working, if looking a bit worse for wear.

I have ordered the cavern breech to be reinforced with an additional trap. Will need to do more on this later, for bigger problems down the road.

Finally, and to my irritation, it looks like the cavern floor is sand. I still intend to keep to my first plan to bring sand down here, so we won't need to be so exposed.

13 Sandstone

Giant cave spider! They are roaming the Caverns. This particular one got caught in the traps and torn apart under a hundred slashes, but this leaves possibilities down the road with regards to our silk industry.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:42:19 pm by RTiger »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 04:10:13 pm »

Try to avoid killing off the spideys. We only get 3-4 per cavern and you just killed one of them. May I suggest placing a layer of cage traps ahead of the weapons?
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 08:28:28 pm »

Did not really know that, and currently have no cages. I will see what can be done once the caravan comes in

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 08:59:57 pm »

3 Timber

Migrants! Seven of them, bringing our number up to 18. In light of finding that spider, I have ordered some additions to the defenses. The top arena however still needs work, and plenty of traps. On the lower side, the area for farming has been finished, but the weapon traps are currently providing all the meat we can eat.

13 Timber

Alright, The entry to the caverns has been expanded, and now has a pair of doors limiting access. This will need to work for the moment until we can get some capture traps down.  Also, the caravan has arrived. Lets see what we can get for trade. For the moment, we have eight sawblades left, so we will trade with those.

25 Timber

Trading done. I offered 2 of our blades, and got cloth, wood, cages, ropes, bags, booze, and food in exchange. (Note to other overseers, use extra Serrated Glass Blades as trade goods, they are worth 250 a piece, at normal quality!)

14 Moonstone

The merchant is a fool. They decided to try taking the cavern route out of the fort...

... A troll was waiting for them. They beat the troll, but the merchant is seriously messed up.

25 Opal

Alright then, One last time. Bringing sand all the way down from the surface to the industry level. LOOK OUT BELOW!

-- Ok, that did not work quite as well as intended, and I might not have enough time to properly set this before years end.

However, Sand has been brought further down to be made more accessible. I have ordered the upper hole sealed, so that this entry can no longer be used.

19 Obsidian

The Top level is now fully sealed off. The only way in or out is now the main stairwell. (Which still needs to be trapped and smoothed.)

21 Obsidian

SNATCHER!!! Get back here!

There might be others, so Traps in the main spiral hall should be a priority for the next in line.

NOTES:

The main stairwell is a spiral pit that is intended to be reinforced with weapon traps. As per game guidelines, the walls need to be smoothed out on each level.

The Cavern is Currently Defended by 2 doors, and 16 Serrated Disks.

We have 18 dwarves, 3 are children. Not much in the way of military.

The farming level has been finished, but the fields there are currently unassigned. I leave it to you to enable those when needed.

Hope you like Miasma :D

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4823
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:53:32 am by RTiger »

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 01:43:50 pm »

I need help loading the file.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 02:16:56 pm »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:49 pm »

Not too hard, just unrar, and stick it in your save folder. Remember to set your dwarf max pop to 0, so no more migrants come, unless you dont mind killing all migrants.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6