Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: 31.25 Succession fort - Holespears  (Read 7048 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.25 Succession fort - Holespears
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:57:28 am »

Alright then, I have decided to make a new succession fort. This embark is going to be in a Scorching Desert with an Aquifer and some metal. The embark size is 4x4

Rules:

1: No sloppy construction. Anything that is built, no matter if it is a workshop or a wall, MUST be made from stone block.
1a: If you have no stone block available, then the building, made of wood, must be torn down and be remade with stone block before the end of the year.
1b: Rough carved stone in high traffic areas should be smoothed at the earliest possibility. Ore Mining tunnels are exempt.

2: This will be a one year migration challenge. No migrants will be accepted after the first year.

3: As usual, one turn = one year, or one week real time.

4: No mods

Embark Supplies:
2 Copper Picks
1 Copper Axe
1 Steel Anvil
21 of each seed type (Pig tail, Plump Helmet, Cave Wheat, Sweet Pod, and Rock Nuts)
76 barrels of Wine and Beer
61 Food 1 and Food 2
41 Gabbro
1 Gabbro Block
2 Tower-cap Logs
4 Sand
2 Cats

One dwarf has some skill with Appraise, the others are untrained.

Turns:
1 Rtiger - Done
2 chuckthegr8 - Failed, pass turn.
3 melkor - Skipped
4 Pisano - Skipped
5 DividebyZero -Skipped
6 Cousen -Slipped
7 mgrinshpon - Skipped
8 ashton1993
9 Cousen
10 RTiger
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:29:55 am by RTiger »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.25 Succession fort - Axeomens
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:15:11 pm »

Looks like no interest in making a fort of the highest quality

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:43:17 pm »

I'd join this, but it seems like the kind of fort that isn't for new players like me.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:51:48 am »

I understand, that we have a shallow world, but with a 6x6 area, my computer still couldn't handle it. Trim it down to 4x4, while leaving the depth same, and I'll join. Or less than 4x4 and increase the height, doesn't matter.
Just to be sure, 1 dwarf year/1 real week, whichever comes 1st?

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:49:28 am »

I can try to go into the Succession business again. Put me in on 2/3rd year, as I haven't gotten large-fortress management down pat yet. I'm still aclimating in the new stuff DF has but I can at least make a fortress survive if not thrive. Any tips for Scoarched Desert/Aquifer Management?

Yeah, 4*4 is best for me as well for size.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:16:55 am »

Any tips for Scorching Desert/Aquifer Management?
I tend to stick with easier areas, as I mostly like building in peace, but...
Don't know much about deserts, but scorching definitely makes all your water vaporize.
The aquifers may come rather handy here, as they provide a continuous source of water for drinking (If the surrounding doesn't have salt water.), and other purposes. Should they cover the entire area though, preventing us from going lower, you could always dig out a chunk above the aquifer, and have it collapse into it, giving you access to stone, with what you can do much more.

Apparently the person, who plays on the 1st year has to do good to attract more migrants. And we can't allow many casualties either, babies only grow so fast.

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:17:06 am »

Thanks. Does that make steam?

For the Aquifer: I am going to try to make my first Waterfall in Dining room/Meeting hall. :D. I never breeched an aquifer before, though, so you guys can't count on me to play first year.

Also, how much Screen Shots do you guys want?

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 01:59:55 pm »

Does that make steam?
Nope, just vaporizes. (Maybe disappears is a more understandable word.)

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 02:14:53 pm »

So... Are we going with this?

EDIT: Why the axe if it is a desert? If there are trees, dwarf me as a Woodcutter/Axedwarf/Carpenter (assigned labors, since I guess you started the save already) and call him woodCHUCKer.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 02:19:22 pm by chuckthegr8 »

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 05:13:05 pm »

i would like to have a turn.
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.25 Succession fort - Holespears
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 03:25:05 am »

Alright, looking for a new embark. I just chose a large area for more resources. That and a 4x4 with 80-150 z levels (standard) is more then a 6x6 with only 30-50 z levels. As for the name, it was chosen randomly, so this games name might change again.

Trying to find a place that is NOT haunted, thank you....>.> This map is full of evil, but I really don't want to drive that nail in this fort.

As for bringing the axe, there are several reasons. Having a weapon to deal with local wildlife, and to deal with mushrooms after we hit the caverns.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:26:53 pm by RTiger »

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 07:47:47 am »

So, how big is the embark going to be? 'cause I said I'd join, if it's 4x4 and the same depth, or smaller with higher depth. (But heck, no need to change it for me, just saying this, so you wouldn't put me on the list, should I not actually want it.)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 08:55:20 am »

Diary of RTiger, expedition leader of The Citadel of Cleaning

Obsidian 1, year 25.

This land is cursed I tell you, cursed! Especially in the northern reaches. Just about everywhere you look, you see undead of one form or another roaming around the land, not to mention the land is scorched black and ravaged. One can only guess on the horrors that were unleashed here before the dawn of civilization. Yet, here we are all the same. The Lush Book, a local government has decided to set out and gather more supplies, if any are even to be found. If there is any wealth, it will be below ground, and that's where we come in. Honestly though, your sending us to the Dunes of Safety? How in in what form has that place ever been safe?

More then that, I am just a simple commoner. Nothing all that special about me, or the other 5 dwarfs that are coming with me. The last one has some very basic skill in trading, but nothing else. My guess is the king expects us to fail, so they are not bothering with any skilled workers. Worse then that, they want to turn this place into a haven, with only the best quality of dwarven construction. At the least, I managed to secure quite the stockpile of food and Booze. Bembul knows we will probably need it.

Granite 1, Year 26

So then, here we are. After dodging skeletons, zombies, Vampires, and worse, we manage to arrive at.... Oh what in sod...

There is NOTHING here! Flat land as far as the eye can see, covered in sand and peppered with Claystone boulders. Did I mention it is hot enough here to start cooking our stored meat? The only comfort is that the Zombies don't seem to reach this place, though that is a small comfort indeed. Alright, the only way to go is down. Time to get to work. I take up a masons task, and assign the others tasks as well. Two with mining picks, two shaping the stone, two working the fields, and one last one to work with the wood, and the traps. Building a mason shop so we can work all the raw stone we have brought with us.

Later in the day, I hear even more wonderful news. There is an Aquifer just a few feet below us, covering the entire area.

Granite 12

So then, working this stone into blocks. Used one block to make a carpenters shop, and told him to start making pump parts, just in case. Also working on digging out a good sized plug, hoping the report that this is not a deep aquifer remains true. The others have little to do. If we don't break through this soon, I am going to order some farms to be built int he soil layer, though I would much prefer to be down in the caves before making farms. Anyway, Here we go:

Now to wait for the water to evaporate. With this kind of heat, I doubt it will take long at all. I did notice something not long after the block was dropped. Turtle? This Aquifer has fish available?

19 Granite

Alright, the water either has drained or evaporated. More then that, the level below is solid claystone. That means it is time to start working on some Defenses. The less close fighting that needs to be done however, the better.  The traps will need to come later of course.

20 Granite

Or not. Of all the things to find out here, Coal was one thing I was not at all expecting to find, yet there seems to be a large amount of it here. Building up a Glass furnace, Smelter, and a Wood Furnace, it is time to put all this blasted sand to good use. First though, we need this wagon torn apart for wood to burn.

7 Slate

Well, we found the caverns. It looks like our stairway will pass through the walls right on the edge. Digging through the floor however revealed the nasty surprise that these caverns double back, and the lowest level is flooded. This is going to be troublesome for sure.

Looking around, we found Galena Veins, and... Cinnabar veins? Great... useless ore.

25 Slate

And we have found Tetrahedrite, Cobaltite, and Marble further down. And about thirty levels down, we also have hit warm stone. Looks like we won't have much in the way of quality metals to work with here. I am not going to bother breaking the magma sea at this time. With all the coal readily available, there is no need for magma as a fuel at the moment.

I have ordered glass to be made, forming the sand into sawblades for the defense. And of course, the home wants everything to be spotless, not a single misplaced scratch on the stone, so the walls of the trap room are also being smoothed out. I will worry about the main staircase later. After this first room is done, time to dig us out some storage. I want to train up the miners here, so we don't waste the Marble later.

21 Felcite

Alright, we have a few plans drawn up to take full advantage of our position an area for farming is currently being dug out, and we will secure a well when we have the chance to do so. A trade Depot has been built, and a storage area for all the food dug out. Plans for a kitchen area have been made, but all of us are working with no downtime. Those will have to wait till later.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:57:55 am by RTiger »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:38 am »

4x4 embark, I update the OP as needed

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 12:16:45 pm »

I see I'm still on the list of players. Even after saying (twice) when I'd like to be put on there.
Trim it down to 4x4, while leaving the depth same, and I'll join. Or less than 4x4 and increase the height, doesn't matter.
I said I'd join, if it's 4x4 and the same depth, or smaller with higher depth. (But heck, no need to change it for me, just saying this, so you wouldn't put me on the list, should I not actually want it.)
It's 4x4, but the depth was increased, so, as clearly stated in those two posts, I don't want to join. Please remove me from the list.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6