Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55638 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #600 on: March 18, 2014, 09:57:05 am »

Yup, I have Titan Quest and it's pleasantly different from D2. That's why I wanna fire up D2 again, for good old times' sake.  :D

Been eying Sacred 1/2 for quite some time though, might get them in the future, why not.

For Sacred 2, be sure you don't get the US version, because that won't get the expansion. The one on Steam (Sacred 2 Gold) is the complete version, but the game isn't stable in modern machines. It will eventually crash after running for a bit of time, due to its faulty video memory management.

Someone made a utility to flush the game's cache regularly which makes it semi-playable - but still, save often.

As for D3... it may sound better now, but I already have Path of Exile and I'm not going to reward Blizzard with any money after making mistakes of this magnitude when nearly the whole world already told them RMAH is a very bad idea.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:58:59 am by kcwong »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 18, 2014, 10:11:14 am »

I like to think of it as rewarding them for making the right decision, closing the RMAH, and firing that fucking loser Wilson.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 18, 2014, 10:32:05 am »

For what it's worth, my D2 discs are the original 1.0 release and they still work on win7. I don't remember having to jump through many hoops, but I *might* have had to do some chicanery like ripping ISO's of them to install or something. It's been some time since I last installed.

if you have a disc version and there's ANY trouble, you can always register your key with blizzard and get the download version.
Downgrading that to the desired patch is a little extra work, but nothing you can't do if you can change DF tilesets.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 18, 2014, 02:12:09 pm »

On win7, I dropped mine back to XP or 98 compatiblility mode, 256 colours and probably 640x480 otherwise there were pallete glitches. Switch to 800x600 graphics still worker fine.
It's a game. Have fun.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 18, 2014, 02:22:59 pm »

Huh.  I installed the original 1.0 discs (I bought before LoD came out), installed LoD, closed one popup warning, and played- not a bit of fiddling required.  I did let the video test run (and laughed a bit when it tried to check Glide.)  No compatibility mode settings were touched.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 18, 2014, 03:18:29 pm »

Meanwhile, Torment 4 seems to be where stuff starts to fall apart.

I'd get minor lag on areas like the Act 3 bridge, but only momentary.

But last night, Torment 4 with 4 Wizards....the lag was absolutely crushing me. I don't think it's network lag, it definitely seems like system lag. But pretty much from Act 3 bridge to the end of the game, I was lagging in every major engagement. This is having played the whole game up until now at max settings with no noticable issues.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 18, 2014, 09:53:01 pm »

There's something about Rakkis Crossing that gives me video card lag, and it's the only place in the game that does so. I could see problems with 4 wizards if everyone was using mirror images or meteor shower or something, though.

I have heard murmurs that setting your maximum foreground FPS to 60 (or your monitor's refresh rate) can help some problems like that for some people. It defaults to 120 or something.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:05 pm »

Huh.  I installed the original 1.0 discs (I bought before LoD came out), installed LoD, closed one popup warning, and played- not a bit of fiddling required.  I did let the video test run (and laughed a bit when it tried to check Glide.)  No compatibility mode settings were touched.

Actually, it might have been just that. Do the video test and it works. I tend to permanently install D2 to each pc I have eventually (diskspace isn't a problem these days), so I always forget what was different for each install. It always works though.
It's a game. Have fun.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 18, 2014, 11:41:04 pm »

I kinda wish they'd squeezed D2 on one disc for the Battle Chest release. You have to switch the disc at least four times just to get the vanilla game on there, not to mention LoD. Is D2 really such a big game that they couldn't have put it on one disc back when it was released? ???
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 19, 2014, 12:46:27 am »

There's something about Rakkis Crossing that gives me video card lag, and it's the only place in the game that does so. I could see problems with 4 wizards if everyone was using mirror images or meteor shower or something, though.

I have heard murmurs that setting your maximum foreground FPS to 60 (or your monitor's refresh rate) can help some problems like that for some people. It defaults to 120 or something.

Thanks, I'll try that. There is definitely something up with their smoke effects, it seems FPS is the worst around them.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 19, 2014, 01:41:32 am »

I've bought it a few days ago at a Sale in my local Shop, and first impressions are good. I will probably jack the difficulty up one Level, since i've managed to play for a hour or two without even having to sip a Health Pot with my WD.

I like the Lore Bits they give you about Enemies you kill, and general information about the World. It also looks pretty nice and runs smoothly.

Only thig weirding me out a bit, the two main abilities on the Left and Right Mousebutton confuse me. Do you swap them out for different builds, or is there a shortcut? The Spiders are pretty cool, but it seems WAY faster to just stick to the poison dart since the Enemies die within seconds anway. Also, my Zombie Dogs dont seem to take any damage. Intended? Seems a bit broken, since most ENemies completely ignore me in favor of Doge.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #611 on: March 19, 2014, 01:43:14 am »

I kinda wish they'd squeezed D2 on one disc for the Battle Chest release. You have to switch the disc at least four times just to get the vanilla game on there, not to mention LoD. Is D2 really such a big game that they couldn't have put it on one disc back when it was released? ???
Well, one of the original 3 discs is just the cinematics. The whole file of classic D2, when downloaded on battle.net, is more than 2GB, if I remember correctly.

I'm quite curious not what my problems with original discs were, seeing how you guys had absolutely none. Gonna check in the near future.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 19, 2014, 03:14:58 am »

I've bought it a few days ago at a Sale in my local Shop, and first impressions are good. I will probably jack the difficulty up one Level, since i've managed to play for a hour or two without even having to sip a Health Pot with my WD.

I like the Lore Bits they give you about Enemies you kill, and general information about the World. It also looks pretty nice and runs smoothly.

Only thig weirding me out a bit, the two main abilities on the Left and Right Mousebutton confuse me. Do you swap them out for different builds, or is there a shortcut? The Spiders are pretty cool, but it seems WAY faster to just stick to the poison dart since the Enemies die within seconds anway. Also, my Zombie Dogs dont seem to take any damage. Intended? Seems a bit broken, since most ENemies completely ignore me in favor of Doge.

First thing, go into gameplay options and enable "elective mode" so you can put skills where you want. Right click a skill on the hotbar to change it to something else.

Normal difficulty is pitifully easy, and act 1 is very safe. The Z-dogs can take damage against real threats (trash mobs aren't real threats) later on, and at higher difficulties. They really, REALLY don't do any meaningful damage though, without a lot of gear stacking and a passive we don't have yet (requires level 66, I think).
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 08, 2014, 09:46:56 pm »

So, I haven't actually played Diablo III but I've been watching my roommate play it rather prodigiously the last few weeks since the expansion came out.

One of the things that just bugs me to no end is that he's not even that uber-powered, and he's regularly hitting for hundreds of thousands of points of damage. Occasionally critting for like 2.8 MILLION damage.

That is some straight-up gratuitous bullshit. Masturbatory, even. We've had arguments over it. My stance is that it's the "this one goes to 11" trope writ large.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 09, 2014, 06:53:08 am »

Is his stance "just because I've stuck my hand down ny pants it doesn't mean I'm masturbating!"?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43