Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55640 times)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #585 on: March 18, 2014, 03:42:50 am »

Let's be honest here.  In D2 there was very little build diversity.  No self respecting Necro specs mainly into curses.  It was all about bone spear, and when synergies patch came in, it was still about bone spear, then corpse explosion for 1.10, then back to bone spear.  The issue with D2 was that whenever blizzard tweaked the skills, people followed that one skill that would ensure max DPS.  From what I've seen so far in D3, people spec into a much larger variety, which is probably helped by the Loot 2.0 stuff adding bonuses to certain elemental damage and other wacky things.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #586 on: March 18, 2014, 03:50:47 am »

A bit off topic, as we are talking about D3, but few pages ago you guys were talking about D2 mods - can anyone suggest some mods for VANILLA D2?
And I'm running a v1.13, since my original disc wouldn't run on Vista and I registered it on battle.net so patching was automatic...
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 18, 2014, 03:56:56 am »

A bit off topic, as we are talking about D3, but few pages ago you guys were talking about D2 mods - can anyone suggest some mods for VANILLA D2?
And I'm running a v1.13, since my original disc wouldn't run on Vista and I registered it on battle.net so patching was automatic...

I have the same problem which I solved by going to that other bay.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 18, 2014, 04:12:13 am »

To make it absolutely clear from this point forward, I am stating that Diablo 2's skill tree system, with it's pre-requisite skill points and synergy system is more limiting of character diversity than Diablo 3's free-form skill allocation system.

On paper.

Though I can only comment for Early Diablo 3 where you were pretty much forced into VERY specific builds because anything less will get you constantly killed.

But this was early Diablo 3... where they would intentionally outdate early skills (Cold Wave, or whatever it is called, for example was USELESS after Nightmare)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 18, 2014, 04:59:27 am »

MedianXL (actually MedianXL: Ultimative now) runs on 1.13.

However, I want to stress that this is a rather extreme overhaul, especially of the classes and and their skills. There is official documentation for everything (except for certain flavors of high-end uniques and runewords, which are probably still documented unofficially somewhere). If you're looking for a slightly more vanilla experience, other mods might be advisable. It also offers many end-game challenges, some of which the difficulty may even fall into "unfair" (in the sense that certain classes/builds are not capable of completing them, even when offered choice among the full selection of gear available).

Zy-el's (required 1.09) skills trees are still mostly vanilla, although they have also been overhauled (in order to accommodate a new level cap of 10,000); however, I found the early game is extremely tedious. At 16, as an assassin, my only viable kill skill is psychic hammer, and only because I've overloaded myself with mana-on-kill Tir runes. I still have a few more levels until I get my first combo finisher (why open a combo builder without a combo finisher is anathema to me), but given how much damage melee puts out compared to that hammer, I expect I'll be using that hammer for a long while yet.

Therdit: I also strongly recommended getting the D2SE modmanager. It comes pre-packaged with many of D2s patches (and possibly also PlugY, which extends the stash, an extremely useful thing to have for mods which add lots of new items, like Zy-el and Median), and allows you to run mods without having to laboriously modify and backup the base D2 install manually. For example, Zy-el requires 1.09, but Median (I believe) requires 1.10 and can run on 1.10 through to 1.13 (there are a couple things that are only available if playing on 1.13). So instead of shuffling the patch files around in the main directory, you can set up D2SE to run a mod using a supplied core patch version. Mod, and D2 version selection, just becomes a matter of making a selection with the launcher. It also separates character saves by mod and version.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:15:08 am by Niveras »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 18, 2014, 05:08:48 am »

I have the same problem which I solved by going to that other bay.
Hey, don't tempt me now.  :P

MedianXL (actually MedianXL: Ultimative now) runs on 1.13.

However, I want to stress that this is a rather large overhaul, especially of the classes and and their skills. There is official documentation for everything (except for certain flavors of high-end uniques and runewords, which are probably still documented unofficially somewhere).
Thanks, that's cool. I don't have LoD though, but wanted to get if for a while, checking for some cheap game-keys now...Been also checking that Zy-El, too bad it's patch-version restricted though.  :(
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 18, 2014, 05:15:35 am »

Oh, well, yeah. Not having LoD is going to restrict you a lot. Sorry, it didn't occur to me that that's what you meant by "VANILLA" D2. In my nomenclature, "vanilla" meant no-mod, rather than no-expansion.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:19:53 am by Niveras »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 18, 2014, 06:42:08 am »

Hmmm, you are right, my nomenclature was a bit iffy, should have said "basic D2" or maybe just "expansion-less D2".

But it's allright, I'm finding keys for battle.net as low as 5€, so this might be the time to it.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 18, 2014, 06:44:57 am »

Hmmm, you are right, my nomenclature was a bit iffy, should have said "basic D2" or maybe just "expansion-less D2".

But it's allright, I'm finding keys for battle.net as low as 5€, so this might be the time to it.

If you have an EB or a Gamestop near you the battlechest will set you back around about $10. Worth the extra to have the physical disks in my opinion.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 18, 2014, 07:08:24 am »

10$ for a battle chest isn't much, that is true, especially for someone like me who loves games packed in big phat boxes and kinda dislikes digital editions at the same time. Sadly, none of the said shops are in my country.  :-\
Dammit, it's just all that talk about the sole possibility of modding D2 that made me wanna buy LoD as an excuse finally. And, like, I wanna buy it NOW.  :P

It's like the talk about D3 and the posibility of it being maybe entertaining that makes me wanna try it. For better or worse, I have severe disk space shortage right now.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 18, 2014, 07:23:27 am »

If it's an ARPG in general you want to play I could recommend Titan Quest. It's quite similar in gameplay to Diablo 2 but with a ancient greek mythology theme.

Also Path of Exile, but that's download only.

I'll also mention Sacred 1 and 2 which I've enjoyed but I would recommend reading into them before buying as they're rather... different. They're focused on character building in an open world, fighting monsters every meter. Also the 2nd is quite silly in humour.

I can't think of any others, odd. I'm sure there was more that came out around Diablo 2.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 18, 2014, 07:56:47 am »

Yup, I have Titan Quest and it's pleasantly different from D2. That's why I wanna fire up D2 again, for good old times' sake.  :D

Been eying Sacred 1/2 for quite some time though, might get them in the future, why not.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 18, 2014, 08:23:10 am »

since my original disc wouldn't run on Vista

That's odd- I just installed from scratch two days ago on Win7.  What kind of errors are you getting?

There's a lot of mods that require older versions.  I used to play a heck of a lot of Nezeramontias (req 1.10) which uses the "everything is overpowered" theory of balance.  Right now I'm messing with Zy-El.

Oh, no LoD.  Yeah, that takes most mods out of the picture.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 18, 2014, 09:25:40 am »

Interesting. Don't remember specifically what errors did I get, but I think it was something related to video? OR just "this application won't run on this system" type of thing? I'm not sure. I might check again sometimes in the future. IIRC I did try compatibility modes, but I didn't fiddle around too much because I knew I could just redeem a digital version via battle.net.

Though we are talking "original" disc here, that is, the big box version one, not the "best seller series" dvd sleeve, I think the later were in some cases a bit more optimized for newer systems?
Still, getting cd version of D2 to run on Win7 is quite a surprise, at least to me.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 18, 2014, 09:40:39 am »

For what it's worth, my D2 discs are the original 1.0 release and they still work on win7. I don't remember having to jump through many hoops, but I *might* have had to do some chicanery like ripping ISO's of them to install or something. It's been some time since I last installed.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43