Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55665 times)

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #555 on: March 17, 2014, 09:24:47 pm »

Ronin, your tone is quite out of line. I'm not going to bother answering you.

Quote from: alexandertnt
I don't like this "If you don't like something, keep quiet and just don't buy it".

If the lack of modding (for example) was a serious issue affecting purchases, how would Blizzard know this unless people were actually criticizing the game for its lack of modding?

I'm confused now. I never said keep quiet, I just think the hatetalk is way exaggerated. People are fuming like Blizzard had forced them to buy the game with false promises and is now extorting them for playing or something. Like all this bull* about the auction house. I've never used it, and I don't know anybody who has spent a single cent of real money on it. D3 has no DLC and no monthly costs, I've paid the price for the game back when it came out and that's it.

People want to voice their opinion about the modding issue, that's cool. It's not like D3 had so little commercial success that the producers or developers are worried about making ends meet... Of course it would be great if they added modding. But they don't owe that to anybody, so all the agressiveness I sense here is misplaced. There's a huge difference between a (constructive) criticism and whatever else is floating around this thread.

Anyways, I'm not here to argue. Now that I think about it, I don't even know why I came here in the first place.
Peace.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 17, 2014, 09:43:37 pm »

Ronin, your tone is quite out of line. I'm not going to bother answering you.

You called the thread 'pure nonsense' and then you want to try to tell me that my perfectly fine post is 'out of line'? Where are you drawing your lines?

I popped in my two bob on what I thought of the developers and what kind of game they were creating. I don't think pointing out that there is a significant demographic of what many people would describe as 'Call of Duty/WoW' gamers who are early or pre-adolescent and more orientated towards instant-gratification is particularly ground-breaking news to anybody. I think that it's irrefutable that Blizzard are pandering to the this crowd and it's certainly a valid conclusion to assume that the drop in quality of their games has some kind of correlation.

If you don't want to listen to the truth then that's fine by me but don't start telling me that my post is 'out of line'. I didn't insult anybody, call anybody out or anything.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 17, 2014, 09:45:58 pm »

Well, I think the two pages of near-civility we had going was a thread record. It was nice while it lasted.
I assume this is directed at my EPIC LOOOTZZZ!111!!!!1 comment.

No, it was towards both sides who insist on being absolutely right about their opinion of the game to the point of trying to shout down anyone who either is having fun with the game or has issues, whether they even play it or not.

I wouldn't name names but that's dangerous in this forum so here goes:

pedrito comes in and says anyone who doesn't like the game is clearly wrong (people are allowed to have opinions... so that's not a civil opener), and the response is that every other person on planet earth disagrees with them, which is ALSO clearly wrong, because enough people play the game that the servers are still up and there's an expansion coming out in a week.

But we didn't do this civilly, you both came stomping in to shout out how right you are in a discourteous way, looking for a fight.

I'm all for discussion (of the games bad aspects and the good ones), but frankly even the game's player community is the scummiest I've seen on the internet, and I have very little patience trying to deal with it here among people who (at least should) know how to be polite and rational.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 17, 2014, 10:01:42 pm »

Well, I think the two pages of near-civility we had going was a thread record. It was nice while it lasted.

No, it was towards both sides who insist on being absolutely right about their opinion of the game to the point of trying to shout down anyone who either is having fun with the game or has issues, whether they even play it or not.

I wouldn't name names but that's dangerous in this forum so here goes:

pedrito comes in and says anyone who doesn't like the game is clearly wrong (people are allowed to have opinions... so that's not a civil opener), and the response is that every other person on planet earth disagrees with them, which is ALSO clearly wrong, because enough people play the game that the servers are still up and there's an expansion coming out in a week.

But we didn't do this civilly, you both came stomping in to shout out how right you are in a discourteous way, looking for a fight.

I'm all for discussion (of the games bad aspects and the good ones), but frankly even the game's player community is the scummiest I've seen on the internet, and I have very little patience trying to deal with it here among people who (at least should) know how to be polite and rational.

I believe I said every rational person, not EVERY person... No matter how bad a game is it's going to have fans... I bet E.T. the game had fans... That doesn't make it a good game. If a game does not have any redeeming features and someone is a fan of it then how is that rational? That's not the same as calling someone an idiot or flaming them... That is saying "I don't understand the way you are reasoning here, it does not seem logical to me."

Also I don't believe I've been discourteous in the slightest. The entire point of a forum is for discussion to take place. If every single person just sits around patting each other on the back then nothing will ever get discussed and then why even bother having a forum in the first place. I'm all for having a 'civilized' environment but it's not like pedrito or myself have called anyone 'morons' or 'flaming idiots' or whatever else. And even though I disagree with his point of view I'm not trying to suppress it or attack him as a person so I fail to see your issue?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:03:18 pm by The13thRonin »

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 17, 2014, 10:03:15 pm »

I'm so over D3 that I can't be arsed to argue about it. Let alone arguments over arguments.

Who wants to talk about how they felt about Spore/Fallout 3?  :)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 17, 2014, 10:12:14 pm »

I fail to see your issue?

If you don't understand how

On the one hand YOU think it's good...
On the other hand the entire sane population of the little blue and green planet we like to call Earth disagrees...

is not a rational or courteous response, then there's really no point in discussing the issue further.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 17, 2014, 10:13:54 pm »

I fail to see your issue?

If you don't understand how

On the one hand YOU think it's good...
On the other hand the entire sane population of the little blue and green planet we like to call Earth disagrees...

is not a rational or courteous response, then there's really no point in discussing the issue further.

I already addressed that in my last post to you.

If you're going to completely ignore the parts of my post which don't fit into your perspective, then there's really no point in discussing the issue further.

8859 people voted Diablo 3 as below even an average 5/10 rating. While use of the phrase 'every member of the rational part of the world' is VERY CLEARLY hyperbole (if it was anymore explicit I'd have to paint a neon sign) the point being made is that the thread is not 'nonsense', a lot of people are dissatisfied with Diablo 3.

EDIT - I am sick of the people who nit-pick your posts for every, single tiny piece of a stray phrase that they can extract some controversy out of then make a big deal of it. If anything is uncivilized it is certainly that. I am not going to start every post with please and end every post with thank you... If this will ruin your day then please either block me so you can't see my posts or ignore them but do not try to give me a discourteous lecture on 'courtesy'.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:22:08 pm by The13thRonin »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 17, 2014, 10:29:07 pm »

The issue I think is more with the wording of the arguments. Statements like "If a game does not have any redeeming features and someone is a fan of it then how is that rational?" can very easily be interpreted as "Everyone who likes video games I dislike is irrational", even if its not supposed to mean that.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:15 pm »

The issue I think is more with the wording of the arguments. Statements like "If a game does not have any redeeming features and someone is a fan of it then how is that rational?" can very easily be interpreted as "Everyone who likes video games I dislike is irrational", even if its not supposed to mean that.

I can't help how certain people interpret what I say. As I stated before I haven't directed derogatory comments at anyone (except perhaps Blizzard and I think they can take it).

I'm not going to say it's a great game because it's not. And in fact it is my opinion that if anyone does in fact think it is a great game they are wrong. Maybe they like it... I can't control what they like. But liking something doesn't make it great.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 17, 2014, 10:41:08 pm »

Dude,

Are you denying that's the target audience that Blizzard were going for and that the series has completely changed in tone/game-play/direction when compared to previous installments?

You directly put words in my mouth and I specifically said I was not targetting just you, or that comment. I read everything you said and am not going to quote massive blocks of text in a row because it makes the forums harder for me to read and keep track of. If you want to take it personally anyway despite what I said, that's your call I guess. I don't know how to be more plain than I already have been.

I can't help how certain people interpret what I say. As I stated before I haven't directed derogatory comments at anyone (except perhaps Blizzard and I think they can take it).

I'm not going to say it's a great game because it's not. And in fact it is my opinion that if anyone does in fact think it is a great game they are wrong. Maybe they like it... I can't control what they like. But liking something doesn't make it great.

Well, then it's valid for me to say that just because you don't like it, that doesn't make it terrible. All we've established so far is that certain people like or don't like certain things.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 17, 2014, 10:44:04 pm »

Dude,

Are you denying that's the target audience that Blizzard were going for and that the series has completely changed in tone/game-play/direction when compared to previous installments?

You directly put words in my mouth and I specifically said I was not targetting just you, or that comment. I read everything you said and am not going to quote massive blocks of text in a row because it makes the forums harder for me to read and keep track of. If you want to take it personally anyway despite what I said, that's your call I guess. I don't know how to be more plain than I already have been.

Well, then it's valid for me to say that just because you don't like it, that doesn't make it terrible. All we've established so far is that certain people like or don't like certain things.

Except the almost 9000 other gamers specifically gamers who enjoy the Diablo franchise who agree with me. I would put forward that that fairly clearly establishes that it was not a good game.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:36 pm »

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 17, 2014, 10:54:19 pm »

Vaguey back on topic.

Do the people who played the game at release (and for a few patches after that) think the game is significantly better now? Please only reply to this if you're playing it currently in the new patch/update, be the opinions for or against it (and whether you're a long term player, just started, or a recent returner is slightly relevant).

I've stated why I didn't enjoy D3. Have there been enough differences made in ,leveling, progression and loot stats/variety in the last year or so to make me think of repurchasing it? I currently figure "no", but I'm basing that on gut feeling and previous experience. I felt it wasn't good back in the beginning, I still feel that it's not, but I might have missed what's drawn some people back to it (even a low price tag to retry it is a valid reason).

I'd like to hear current player's opinions, positive or negative.
It's a game. Have fun.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 17, 2014, 10:57:21 pm »

-snipped for length-

Except the almost 9000 other gamers specifically gamers who enjoy the Diablo franchise who agree with me. I would put forward that that fairly clearly establishes that it was not a good game.

I'm taking a look at how many people are on in the Americas, in public games, right now. This is ignoring everyone who isn't playing right this second, or in private games, or playing below level cap, or on the European/Asian servers, or is farming for Ubers keys.
(T1: 1372 people, T2: 1088, T3: 1325, T4: 801, T5: 182, T6: 175)

Right now, 4,943 people think the game is fun enough to be playing public games on one (of three) server clusters, even after all those restrictions I can't look up. So, more than half the amount of people who ever downvoted on metacritic are playing as we speak.

Seems like a few people think it's pretty good. We're back to "people like different things."

I'm apologize in advance for double-posting to reply to sambojin, but I don't want to post a reply directly to him at the end of this one.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 43