Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55682 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2014, 10:30:54 am »

Bowazon is probably the strongest choice. Get a few of the early runewords together, and consider picking up a (cold) merc when you can afford it.

Rings, jewels and amulets are a great source of income.
Keep your eyes open for the scrolls rare jewel to cherry pit or cub scout. There's a few variations on both, they are very strong rings/jewels for the early game. Getting either one will jumpstart your character waaay ahead. Cube scrolls can also be rerolled and upgraded (3x for reroll, 6x+charm to upgrade).

Was unlucky myself with my new char, already 29 but none of the strong stuff for me. lvl 29 at stony field.  (but i'm rerunning the earlier areas with players 4-16. We're up all night to get lucky... >_< starting a first char can really be a bother.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:34:27 am by Lord Snow »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 17, 2014, 10:44:09 am »

You guys somehow managed to make me really want to play this game.

Don't disappoint me plox.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:24 am »

Yeah, one jewel sold off for 10k.  Got a lucky rare javelin gamble that'll be my weapon for some time to come.  The foundation is laid- next comes PHAT LEWT.

And that's what we're in this thread for, isn't it?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 17, 2014, 01:31:31 pm »

So I played this game for the first time.

Naturally, I picked the Witch Doctor as a class.

Positive:
Looks way better than Diablo II.
I no longer get lost all the time.
I don't get spammed with broken items or potions anymore.

Negative:
Poison darts are lame, and I seem incapable of actually using my weapons. I'm not even sure if my weapon's stats do anything.
The game is incredibly easy, although I do play on the lowest difficulty. I think the main cause of this is the permanent +50% experience I for some reason have.
While the story is good enough for a hack-n-slash (read: it makes me cry blood out every possible orfice), Deckard Cain's voice is excruciating to listen to. The "old wise man" thing is waaaay overdone.
Why are the skill points gone ;_;?
Skills are weird. I have two skills that can create 3 zombie dogs in different ways (directly summoning, or by killing enemies), but when I pick both skills I still only get a max of 3 dogs...
Everything that's poisonous is neon green, which is just plain stupid and pretty damn ugly.

I'm also disappointed at the locust swarm / summoning potential of the witch doctor. Honestly the whole class doesn't make sense. Why does everyone trust a necromancer when they're getting attacked by the undead? How am I scaring and possessing skeletons? Why do my zombie dogs never seem to take damage?

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 17, 2014, 01:42:00 pm »

Yeah the witch doctor seems to be the wild card class.  I got mine to about level 20 and got bored with him.  My favorites so far are Wizard and Demon Hunter, great DPS potential on the latter and especially fun class because you've gotta be quick with your skills or you'll get one shotted (playing solo on expert).  You've got that 50% XP buff from a community event (to prepare for the expansion's release).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 17, 2014, 01:48:35 pm »

The game is incredibly easy

Get to Hell and Inferno and it will be annoying its difficulty (assuming they didn't fix it)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 17, 2014, 02:08:33 pm »

You really need to gear up to the level you're fighting, and that is definitely easier with friends. Don't overlook crafting as an option for gear upgrades, although sometimes you might have to roll the same gear multiple times to get the right stats.

Poison darts are lame, and I seem incapable of actually using my weapons. I'm not even sure if my weapon's stats do anything.

Fucking hated this, still fucking hate it, on first playing the game. All ability damage is derived from your weapon damage, so, it does something. It's just counter intuitive. Blizzard cared more about having a look and a feel to attacks that was at odds with putting the weapons in the animation, or trying to figure out how to make each one work with weapons. So they just tossed the idea of actually USING your weapon in whatever you do.

I think the main cause of this is the permanent +50% experience I for some reason have.

It's bonus that's been running for two weeks, the lead up to Reaper of Souls releasing. Intended to entice people who'd quit playing to come back and get geared/leveled fast. It's an incentive for everyone really. I've watched my 160 level paragon put on 20 levels since it's been going.

Here's my experiences with WD so far:

You have 4 rough builds.

-Close up nuker/DoT
-Range nuker/DoT
-Pets
-Support

In the beginning of playing WD, I was a range Nuker/Dot. I'd use Corpse Spiders with the mana rune for my Primary, Acid Cloud for my consumer/aoe damage, Grasp of the Dead to snare guys for Acid Cloud, Spirit Walk for escape and mana regen, and a free ability to mess around with, usually Soul Harvest for the Int Buff.

And what I found was that early game, you're outclassed by melee, and late game, everyone is outclassed by Wizards.

So I got rid of Corpse Spiders as a primary. It is very popular to create builds that forgo a "builder" attack in favor of using a secondary attack (resource consumer) as your primary. You're trying to create that feedback loop, through passive skills, skill runes and gear, so your powers fund themselves, or so you have a reliable resource regen method you can call on that isn't a builder attack. While Corpse Spiders is nice, late game you'd end up throwing spiders for 2x as long as you'd be DPSing.

With WD, I went Spirit Barrage for a primary, Acid Cloud for a secondary. Using the Passive Skill for Spirit Spells, Spirit Barrage will basically refunds itself on cast, so I can spam it til the cows come home for quick, single target damage. Acid Cloud is still good for quick instant damage and a little AoE. I opted to give up the slow and dot of Grasp of the Dead for Charging Zombie with the Zombie Bears rune. Makes for short range aoe that does a crap ton of damage when sustained. Still keep Spirit Walk for trouble. Instead of trying to compete with Wizards for DPS, I used my last two slots for Witch Doctor support spells, Big Bad Voodoo and the Fetish. The Fetish will polymorph guys (great for making elites and champions less of a problem) and the pig takes 10% extra damage. Meanwhile, Big Bad Voodoo will give out 20% damage and attack speed while people are inside it. So between those two, I can buff group damage by 30% against a single target, or 20% against all targets for 30 seconds.

So I've kinda mixed 3 of the 4 builds into mine. I could probably lose the Zombie Bears but they're just fun. WDs can play either near or far but they don't get the benefit of a lot of personal defense options like Wizards. They get a lot of survivability out of their gear which, with their short range options, would imply they're tanky. But they're still casters and can't face tank stuff for long without a shitload of life on hit. The damage on their spells, while nice, is often too slow or too specialized to kill in groups when up against Wizards. (And trust me, I've played with a lot of Wizards at this point.)

As for pets, I know it works but it takes the right runes on the right skills, with the right gear, and even then it's hard for them to put out the quick DPS players can. I got a legendary the other day that just added straight damage to all my minions. If you don't have Gargantuan yet, you might try him, I think he gets pretty beast and can tank for you.

I like playing WD when I'm feeling lazy. Wizard does more damage but they're somewhat frailer. And if you're in a diverse group, those damage buffs can really accelerate the murder.

Get to Hell and Inferno and it will be annoying its difficulty (assuming they didn't fix it)

They really did. The differences between Torment 1-7 are noticable, and # of players greatly affects mob HP count. So it's easy to tune for the "sweet spot." I can solo Torment 3 on my Wizard currently, with 120k damage. But add another player and stuff takes noticably longer to kill. My bench mark is white mob damage. If you get surrounded by little fallen demons and they strip your HP from you in seconds, it's a safe bet you're on the harder side of difficulty. If you can face tank a small pack of whites without using potions, you're probably in the right place. If whites die in 1 or 2 hits, you can probably bump it up.

Later difficulties, it's all about the quality of your equipment. The best build will only get you so far in this game. If you can't hack it at the difficulty you're trying, you have to bump it down and keep farming for the gear with not only the right stats, but the best rolls of those stats.

The real challenge of the higher difficulties are the champions and elites. They don't hit for as much as they used to, but the combination of 6 abilities firing off at once can still flat out kill you. If elites are almost one shotting you with their regular swing, your gear isn't where it should be. Beyond that, it's about how much damage your gear affords you (modified by skills.) Elite abilities are designed to kill you quickly, and they have to be avoided constantly, and somewhere in there you need to do damage. So it's about attrition. The longer you spend trying to kill mobs, the better the chance you'll eventually be surrounded by enemies, frozen in place, feared into arcane beams and so forth. So high DPS, combined with life on hit and timely use of heal pots and constantly being on the move avoiding damage, is what gets you through fights. 

I try to keep my builds to 2 to 3 damage abilities, and the rest defensive in nature. Always, always have your mobility/oh shit ability equipped, because those elite abilities will end you without them.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:46:12 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #532 on: March 17, 2014, 02:56:49 pm »

You know, I can't say I played DII really that much. I finished it only once, only on basic difficulty. Made multiple characters, but others came as far as 3rd act I think.

But in all this time, it never occurred to me to even THINK about DII having any mods. Dunno why.
You guys are blowing my mind with all the talk about them mods. o.o

-snip-
Hmmm, WD is the class I am most interested about. Shame you can't play him as a close up nuker/TANK, for some reason I would want to play him like that if I ever get DIII.  ???
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 17, 2014, 03:02:28 pm »

My wizard is a tank.  I'm pretty sure you can get the gear and skills to facetank with a Witch Doctor too?  (I'll have to check myself, whenever.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:25 pm »

Going back to Zy-el for one second: is there a searchable mod guide somewhere? The mod guide packaged with the download is all images, (which is absurdly dumb), so I can't ctrl-f to look specifically for what I want. While the links are helpful, it doesn't help me to quickly find (For example) the runewords that I can create with the runes I have or the slot I'm looking to fill.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 17, 2014, 03:13:06 pm »

My wizard is a tank.  I'm pretty sure you can get the gear and skills to facetank with a Witch Doctor too?  (I'll have to check myself, whenever.)

You can, somewhat. My brother has a witch doctor that can facetank torment III with three players using firebats simply by the power of immense life on hit. That's with pretty hefty gear, though.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 17, 2014, 03:14:08 pm »

[Zy-El]

Here is a list of runewords that helpfully doesn't tell you what many of them do.

The wiki may also help.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 17, 2014, 03:38:07 pm »

-snip-
Hmmm, WD is the class I am most interested about. Shame you can't play him as a close up nuker/TANK, for some reason I would want to play him like that if I ever get DIII.  ???

You can full-time tank on anything except a demon hunter, whose damage soaking abilities are resource-based and limited to quick bursts of survivability.

Off the top of my head: Zombie dogs/leeching beasts, firebats of some flavor, mana restoring primary skill of some flavor, spirit walk for escapes, jungle fortitude passive. Fill in the rest as you wish, focus on Life On Hit gear.

Those difficulties are gone. Multiple playthroughs to progress in levels are gone. You can start a game/character on any difficulty you wish, change it as you wish. Everything scales to your level and is further scaled to the difficulty you've chosen. All loot barring endgame-specific level-capped items is available in every difficulty. New character to level 60 takes something like 8 hours on the third difficulty setting, at least with the current buff. The only tangible difference in difficulty level/drop correlation is hitting Torment 1 (roughly halfway across the scale, easily done with common yellow drops) is that Torment drops materials for the Uber-event and offers powerful sets at 70-only.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 17, 2014, 03:43:26 pm »

Everything scales to your level

Hear that thud?  That was my interest in the game plummeting to zero.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 17, 2014, 03:51:53 pm »

Everything scales to your level
Hear that thud?  That was my interest in the game plummeting to zero.

Then you didn't read or chose to ignore the rest. But that's cool, seems to happen a lot.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 43