Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55753 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #495 on: March 15, 2014, 07:56:33 am »

You get nice magic find boosts iirc by being on a team with other people and staying close to one another. Much better loot drops that way.

This is actually more infuriating. I like to solo.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 15, 2014, 07:57:36 am »

You get nice magic find boosts iirc by being on a team with other people and staying close to one another. Much better loot drops that way.

IIRC, this doesn't happen anymore. My Magic Find on a full group in Torment II is at 24%. It rarely if ever shows up on items now.

I should have read through completely.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 15, 2014, 08:02:39 am »

Diablo 2's second act was "Bright" but you are mistaking the type of bright at play.

Act 2 was bright but it was a dismal kind of brightness, eerie at times.

Diablo 3 on the other hand goes for "Bright cheery colors" quite a few times.

Compare the Act 2 sand with Diablo 3's magic blue shields.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #498 on: March 15, 2014, 11:38:06 am »

IIRC, this doesn't happen anymore. My Magic Find on a full group in Torment II is at 24%. It rarely if ever shows up on items now.
It shows up as a buff when you are nearby other group members

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 15, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »

It's also worth noting that the magic find stat suffers severe diminishing returns for legendaries, which are what you really want. To the tune of 10% effectiveness. If you're capped at 300% magic find (near impossible), you'll only get 30% more legendaries, and the drops have been scaled accordingly. With 0% magic find I still get a legendary or two per hour most of the time. The bonus is... okay, I guess, but it's more of a very minor perk, and solo play doesn't notice any measurable difference.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 15, 2014, 01:25:36 pm »

There are a few non-legendary items that stack up rather well.

VERY FEW!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 15, 2014, 02:29:30 pm »

VERY FEW!

How are you quantifying this? What's your research?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 15, 2014, 02:46:58 pm »

VERY FEW!

Well I am not speaking of the late game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #503 on: March 15, 2014, 06:04:00 pm »

VERY FEW!

He is just making a broad and unfounded statement

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 15, 2014, 09:21:31 pm »

VERY FEW!

He is just making a broad and unfounded statement

Which can no longer be proven anyhow... Or disproven

I will just say, some non-oranges do have high stats in exactly where you need them. An Orb, at least before the late game, only needs intelligence and raw damage. Anything else is superfluous... and even Blues can have as high individual stats as some oranges.

Also the reason I made this broad and unfounded statement is because I thought it was common knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:18:46 pm by Neonivek »

Vortex Rikers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 16, 2014, 12:46:56 am »

Oh lord.

I remember the backlash to this game was so massive, they actually allowed you to return the game if you were within a certain criteria that I honestly forgot, something like played less than 30 hours or never went past Nightmare difficulty. I myself have bought the game near release day because I mean hell, how bad could you screw up a hack and slash with a simple story of hero defeats villain? That's like screwing up mashed potatoes.

This was the only digital copy of a PC game I have managed to successfully return, ever. Knowing just how impossibly difficult it is to do so, that speaks volumes of how bad it was.

I honestly don't know how they can salvage the story they created, other than retcon the entire experience as a fever dream, but nevertheless I'm at least curious to see what direction the expansion will take.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 16, 2014, 03:04:12 am »

Ok I will admit... If Blizzard makes a sequel that somehow makes all the plot development from Diablo 3... GOOD

I will HAVE to see that. It would probably be some of the greatest writing created for a videogame.

I have rarely EVER seen plot revival but it has happened, such as in the Chozo series.

But no honestly nothing could save the story. It was pretty much unsalvageable after the first chapter (not referring to Leoric... though he was pretty bad as it was). Also if you pay attention to the last chapter carefully, you can see what the expansion (or possibly sequel) is going to be based off of.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:07:47 am by Neonivek »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 16, 2014, 04:18:18 am »

Wow. I almost never judge a story by what other people say about it, but even the Wikipedia summary makes it sound like dumb fanfiction, and the video linked several posts above certainly doesn't help. Glad I didn't spend any money on this one, and also that I still have the old games.

The original two Diablo games borrowed pretty heavily from Lovecraft and classic horror tropes in general. Instead of all that "subtlety" guff, it sounds like they tried to make Diablo 3's story as "epic" as possible for its big next-gen return. That is, if "epic" means "a big fantasy war story like Warcraft III, but also incredibly stupid".
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 16, 2014, 05:50:04 am »

The constant pestering by act bosses reminds me a lot of being constantly pestered by the Lich King in WotLK.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 16, 2014, 08:39:28 am »

There are some villains who can pester you and actually be effective.

The Lich Queen in Majesty for example did it excellently but there were two reasons why it was so well done.
1) She did it during a time when it normally couldn't happen. (essentially it is like putting a boss in a safe room)
and
2) She could back it up. Actually being frightening in the gameplay and changing how things play out.

Where they suffer the most is that the two major villains of the game within the context of the diablo universe are essentially minor demon lords of little importance or power. Their threats are so minor that within the context of the game it was such a no duh question that we would defeat them, or if not us then the myriad of other heroes in the land.

They never really change things up gameplay (well one boss fight kind of, but most boss fights are funland arenas) or storywise. Heck Baal already did the whole demon army siege shtick.

Essentially you go from fighting the big bads to fighting their less talented little brothers
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:45:14 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43