Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55797 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #405 on: November 06, 2011, 11:18:35 pm »

Ah yep, that's the point I was trying to make earlier, stated more simply I suppose. If the character data is only accessible from Blizzard servers, you can't play without it, or without connecting to their servers.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 06, 2011, 11:23:35 pm »

Ah yep, that's the point I was trying to make earlier, stated more simply I suppose. If the character data is only accessible from Blizzard servers, you can't play without it, or without connecting to their servers.

Which makes sense.

I mean since there is REAL money involved now officially (as in your items are worth real life money) it means the game has to become more like a MMO.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 07, 2011, 12:08:26 am »

Starcraft III=MMO
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 07, 2011, 01:00:36 am »

Starcraft III=MMO

What does that have to do with anything in this thread? Is pointless trolling necessary?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 07, 2011, 01:06:17 am »

I'm pretty sure he's just pointing out what he feels is a trend in Blizzard games.
Love, scriver~

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 07, 2011, 01:09:11 am »

I feel no obligation to understand a point that isn't worth expressing in a complete sentence. Looks like petty trolling to me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 07, 2011, 04:44:16 am »

Starcraft II used a simmilar DRM and yet was cracked.

For that matter, many MMORPGs have been cracked and people have set up private servers.

I don't think this is going to stop anyone.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:45:47 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 07, 2011, 05:40:35 am »

D2 (are we to lazy to spell out Diablo 2?) pvp was quite amusing "Raw, I can one hit everyone - sadly they can do the same to me"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 07, 2011, 05:59:32 am »

Hammerdins killed EVERYTHING.

That was one build that was so good that you could afford to max a secondary skill for the hell of it.

I tended to pick charge, pretty much only because of the speed burst.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 07, 2011, 08:51:37 am »

the pirating of D3 can be achieved (as far as i can understand) by getting all the files that the game needs on blizzard servers to your computer, then it needs an emulation of the server so that the game says: "okay, buddy, start the download!" and since you already have the files, the game will be that quicker to load. that's a simple explanation, but i believe that it will be a tad more difficult. but i also beleve that the pirate version will be cracked and ready to go in dunno...3 days?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #415 on: November 07, 2011, 09:07:51 am »

If true, this also means more people playing D3 = slower play due to bandwidth and server loads, and if the servers go down you cannot play at all. Seems like an excellent reason not to buy it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 07, 2011, 10:32:27 am »

If true, this also means more people playing D3 = slower play due to bandwidth and server loads, and if the servers go down you cannot play at all. Seems like an excellent reason not to buy it.

If WoW's servers can handle being up all the time with hundreds of people connected per server, and only go down an hour or two a week... I'm pretty sure D3's 4-player non-persistent world probably isn't going to choke and die.

Starcraft 2 has an offline play mode, i.e. all files for gameplay are stored locally. That is less "similar DRM" and more "completely different and easier to crack" as previously stated. Also, someone's going to reverse engineer 4 or 5 years of server code in 3 days? Keep dreaming...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #417 on: November 07, 2011, 10:54:42 am »

If WoW's servers can handle being up all the time with hundreds of people connected per server, and only go down an hour or two a week... I'm pretty sure D3's 4-player non-persistent world probably isn't going to choke and die.
Apples are not oranges. D3 will not have the massive server-side architecture that WoW does.

And if you recall, WoW had a lot of problems with too many people logging in right at launch and a few months after that. Their servers did actually choke and die from the traffic at launch due to the massive amount of people logging in to play. They had to take them down for a while and implement server caps and stepped logins just to get people playing and stable servers.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:56:30 am by forsaken1111 »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 07, 2011, 11:12:28 am »

What's your source on the D3 server architecture? Or is this just an assumption that it will suck because..... WoW's servers sucked several years ago?

Also, you just said I can't compare D3 and WoW, and then used WoW's launch to illustrate D3's launch.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 07, 2011, 11:16:29 am »

Starcraft 2 has an offline play mode, i.e. all files for gameplay are stored locally. That is less "similar DRM" and more "completely different and easier to crack" as previously stated. Also, someone's going to reverse engineer 4 or 5 years of server code in 3 days? Keep dreaming...
who says you need to reverse engineer anything? and you seem to be seriously underestimating the pirates. they will probably have it a few days before the release, and will have knowledge of blizzard servers, and their protection from SC2, wich will change, but i do not believe the change will be so drastic. or the pirates will just abuse the "offline game" thing.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 43