Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55834 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #375 on: November 05, 2011, 11:05:52 pm »

"NO! Y U NO HAS LAN?" here's the answer: LAN is used by Pirates to play happily online, so why give them that chance on a silver platter?
Because its not just your capital P Pirates who use LAN. Thats pretty much like saying people shouldn't ever have VPNs no matter what because they can be used for less than good reasons.
It's like saying you shouldn't own guns because they are tools of murder. Only murderers use guns!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 06, 2011, 12:05:17 am »

"NO! Y U NO HAS LAN?" here's the answer: LAN is used by Pirates to play happily online, so why give them that chance on a silver platter?
Because its not just your capital P Pirates who use LAN. Thats pretty much like saying people shouldn't ever have VPNs no matter what because they can be used for less than good reasons.
It's like saying you shouldn't own guns because they are tools of murder. Only murderers use guns!

In some places that argument more successful than you'd think.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 06, 2011, 02:30:37 am »

sorry for my unintelligible post (hope i spelled that right), but i was in middle of a RAGEH!!! outburst, that i usually get when i'm sick of things. like BOYCOTT!! topics. but let me make that LAN argument clear.

here's the deal, i KNOW that people other than pirates use LAN, but does it really hurt you so much without it? does it really KILL you that you must play on battle.net? if it does, it's a shame for you. if you want group matches, you can always set up a password, one that only your group knows, and still play it. hell, it's what i have been doing on some "LAN" parties in SC2. we set up a ridiculously complicated password, like "qwertyisretardedlongliveasdf" or something, wrote it down, and those who played could just type it in when the server asked you for the pass. is that really such a problem? if anyone who is not in your group gets in somehow, you can kick him out. so players other than pirates really lose nothing if there is no LAN. hope this post will be more intelligible (hope i spelled it right) than my last one.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 06, 2011, 02:40:59 am »

That solution works well enough, if LAN isn't being used *instead* of an internet connection to play multiplayer games. Not everyone has reliable internet connections; I've heard stories from friends in Europe that some areas aren't at all stable. I've never played a LAN game either, but I understand the complaints in these cases.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 06, 2011, 03:34:15 am »

That solution works well enough, if LAN isn't being used *instead* of an internet connection to play multiplayer games. Not everyone has reliable internet connections; I've heard stories from friends in Europe that some areas aren't at all stable. I've never played a LAN game either, but I understand the complaints in these cases.
sorry, mate, did ya think that i was an american? i am an european, and i live in a rural area, no less, and my internet connection is really kinda shit. but IF we make a LAN party, we usually go to the guy who has the best connection, i.e. he lives in a nearby town. trust me, in towns the internet connection is waaay better than in rural areas. but i see your point, yes, sometimes LAN is better, but nowadays, as the internet connections improve all over the world, even a rural Slovenian such as me can be plugged into internet without the constant fear of my modem dying. but i see your point, but i met a lot of people who have generally worse internet connections than me, and they just do not give a damn about multiplayer.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 06, 2011, 05:10:27 am »

Hey, I live in Britain and my internet goes down every month or so for a week. During that week I enjoy that steam still lets me play my games. So yeah, the whole always online thing sucks for a good couple of hundred internet users here too.

Ah well, it'll be cracked eventually.

Edit: And by that I mean if I get a legal copy and a crack gets found, i'm cracking the shit out of it :P
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 06, 2011, 06:48:01 am »

I find the game so little appealing that I don't think I'll even pirate it, let alone cough up 60 bucks.

here's the deal, i KNOW that people other than pirates use LAN, but does it really hurt you so much without it? does it really KILL you that you must play on battle.net? if it does, it's a shame for you.
so players other than pirates really lose nothing if there is no LAN

Thanks for disregarding us with less than reliable internet so casually.

Speaking about this, you say players other than pirates (and people with shitty internet) lose "nothing". What do you lose if some pirates do play in a LAN? What the hell is it to you? Why do you want to restrict other player's options in the name of "huh maybe someone will pirate the game and USE THIS!"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 06, 2011, 07:43:50 am »

Yeah, the whole LAN thing. Linked an article earlier in the thread that gives a really compelling argument, imo, that the online-only thing has precisely jack and shit to do with preventing piracy, and absolutely everything to do with exercising control over how legitimate users play the game. They're seeing how far they can shove draconian DRM into the single-player portion of their game (which is what a constant connection is, in respect to offline play), and that's really all that's happening.

Bliz (and others, this is becoming somewhat of a trend) are citing piracy as blatant misdirection, because it's a lot harder to argue against (Oh, you want us to be stolen from? How's that work, exactly?) and sounds like a good reason to implement that sort of control.

That constant-connection sort of thing makes good sense in online multiplayer games (Never trust the client!), especially where there's a PvP component, but for singleplayer? It's hard to see how one can't be wanting to call bullshit on that part. A notable amount of people are, but it doesn't bother a lot of others. I'm one of the former, myself, having a fairly spotty internet connection and abso-frakking-lutely refusing to play any singleplayer game that requires an internet connection to play, on general principle. I don't mind added functionality when connected -- that's actually pretty nice, a roguelike I play fairly regularly does that -- but requiring it for gameplay that has absolutely no interaction with other people (and thus no need to police for hacks, etc.) is simple BS and nothing else, s'far as I'm concerned.

The reason I (and others, really) care is, yanno', not that I don't or wouldn't enjoy D3 (I probably would, and it's the successor to one of the most commercially successful roguelike derivatives, which significantly interests me.), but because I can't, because someone, somewhere, wants to squeeze more pennies out of competitive multiplayer or some gimmick auction house I'll never use, and is willing to screw over the (now nonexistent!) offline portion in order to do it.

But hey, maybe we'll get really lucky. Bliz turned back from that completely flipping stupid "Use your real name" thing. Maybe they'll leave a offline option for singleplayer. It'd be nice. Not gonna' happen, but hey, hope springs eternal.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 06, 2011, 08:10:45 am »

Only reason why I wouldn't buy this is the fact that there is a real money auction house in the game. That is, until I remembered it works both ways: I can sell stuff there too. And so can everyone else.

I don't mind the "always online" -requirement. Mostly because I have a 100mb no data caps -connection, but I guess the "online only" would be extremely bothersome for people with caps and in areas where fast connections are not possible (due to unavailability or financial reasons).

Also, I don't mind the "swappable" skills, because I really don't like it when I have to start a completely new character when I misclick one skill point at level 89.

I will buy the game, Blizzard hasn't failed me yet.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:12:44 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 06, 2011, 08:38:37 am »

(rant removed)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:51:54 pm by Toady One »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 06, 2011, 09:00:56 am »

please. i have a less reliable internet, so you should consider reading some other posts after that one, in wich i have already stated that my internet is not exactly good. and what is with me? I AM TRYING TO SEE THE DEVELOPER'S VIEW, THAT'S WHAT
I stick to the much conventional view of seeing the client's side.
And you're not actually trying to see the developer's side. Not really. You're just subscribing blindly to the official corporate PR. If you want to believe this makes you empathethic, or trendy, or whatever you happen to believe, suit yourself.

GET.A.BETTER.INTERNET.CONNECTION. i do not care what your answer is, but if you argue that your internet connection is bad, or outright SHIT, you have no place in the multiplayer realm UNLESS you get a better internet connection.
ROTFL. You really don't get it, do you? With Blizzard's current policy I have no place in the single player realm either. And no, I shouldn't have to connect to blizzard's server in order to enjoy a multiplayer game. LAN has existed since time immemorial, and noone has had any trouble with it until now. If you had bothered to read Frumple's links, you'd see that this has little to do with piracy and a lot to do with controlling what their actual, bona-fide clients do.

i once again apologise if my post is uninteligible, but i have had 2 RAGEH!!!! outbursts in a 24 hour period.
Then maybe you should try to calm down before typing. Just sayin'.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 06, 2011, 11:23:41 am »

To be honest, even as someone who has no emotional investment in the Diablo series (haven't even played them) nor any relation, good or bad, with Blizzard, I can't understand how anybody could ever go along and buy this game with the restrictions Blizzard is putting on it. It's just gone too far. I don't understand how gamers anywhere can accept it. I mean, I was almost making a slippery slope argument here, but really, we're already halfway down that slope by now.
Love, scriver~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 06, 2011, 11:27:05 am »

These are sprites still, not actual real-time 3D rendering. Sprites are no more than 2D animations or stills you move across the screen while they play. It doesn’t matter for them if they came from being painted by hand, shot on video camera, or rendered out of 3D.

I know what a sprite is. "Sprite work" is an implied reference to the method of production, not the engine's rendering method.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 06, 2011, 12:38:42 pm »

this LAN arguing should stop. the game is mostly Singleplayer focused, and co-op is just the cherry on top of the cake. while it makes the cake look better, and taste slightly different, it really does not change the cake that much. so, yes, LAN is a sacrifice, i'll give you that, but you can still play and enjoy the game without it, so it really should not be a valid reason to "boycott" the game. the always-online on the other hand.... no, you can crack it within 2 days of release, even with the game bought. just like i did with settlers 7.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 06, 2011, 01:28:07 pm »

So you constantly need to be in order online to play? How does that make people not want to pirate it? (Assuming pirates will eventually fix the online issue).
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43