Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55883 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #270 on: August 18, 2011, 01:16:55 pm »

That's fine, I don't dispute Mephs reasons and they're pretty valid reasons. I thought he (and all the rest of you) were saying that you weren't buying because of a minor issue.

I think it's more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" sort of issue. By itself, it's not a big deal for most people. But added to other issues or concerns and you start going from "Well...maybe I'll get it anyway" to "Hmm...now I'm not so sure".

People who are going to love the game as-is aren't going to mind as long as they aren't one of those without a good connection. But most of the people in this thread don't seem to be in that camp.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2011, 01:17:12 pm »

For me (and quite a few others) it's not a minor issue. At worst its a deal killer, if you don't have reliable internet, or travel a lot, or if you can't connect for whatever reason. At best it's an annoyance which I am not be willing to undergo.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2011, 01:21:55 pm »

You want my catalog of issues that are making me seriously consider not buying? They're all up further in the thread but here it is again.

-The health orbs mechanic.
-The micro-managing of drop rates per player.
-The over done colorization of the world.
-The simplified skill trees and character development.
-Arbitrary level caps so they can sell DLC and expacs to raise it.
-The always-on.
-No mods.
-No LAN.
-The required Battlenet account to even play SP.
-The money auction house.
-WoW fan service.

I would add that your RL information is used to identify you on Bnet, but thankfully, they changed that ridiculous decision. There are more reasons I could list, but honestly, if I have to list that many for a game based just on its pre-release information, there's already obviously a difference between the game I want and the game I'm potentially going to get.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2011, 01:26:43 pm »

Arbitrary level caps so they can sell DLC and expacs to raise it.

What's this?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2011, 01:30:28 pm »

The level cap for the game is 60. The idea is that you'll play 1 - 20 in your first game, 20 - 40 on the next level of difficulty, 40 - 60 on the 3rd level of difficulty, and then 60+ you play Inferno Mode ad nauseam.

It's the same model they used for WoW only they're applying it to Diablo. While I don't necessarily crave a 99 or whatever level cap, it's the idea that they're strictly metering gameplay to eventually sell us new character levels.....just like Bethesda did with the Fallout Franchise. I have more faith in Blizzard's ability to meter gameplay than Bethesda....but who knows. What I do know is Bethesda's decision to do that had a big impact on my ability to enjoy FO3 and NV as is....I _had_ to have mods to make that game enjoyable in the long run. So that's definitely a concern with Diablo 3. At the very least the game itself is meant to be more replayable from the outset.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:33:12 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2011, 01:32:03 pm »

Activision, WHY MUST YOU RUIN EVERYTHING?! FPSs, Goldeneye, and now Diablo?!

Yes, blame Activision, because there's no way that larger trends in the industry are responsible for any of this. I mean, that's why I'm so disappointed in everything I hear about Skyrim: After all, they just got bought out by Activision!

The level cap for the game is 60. The idea is that you'll play 1 - 20 in your first game, 20 - 40 on the next level of difficulty, 40 - 60 on the 3rd level of difficulty, and then 60+ you play Inferno Mode ad nauseam.

That article states that your own level is capped at 60 even in inferno mode.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2011, 01:33:36 pm »

Right, sorry, the + was force of habit. :P

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 18, 2011, 01:38:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I may add a few more
-Droping the people's favorite necromancer for a totally unspiring vodoo guy (same gameplay; summons, curses etc; but diferent skin, basically)
-A girl that uses 2 crossbows at the same time? How does that even works :S
-A pay-to-win PvP (thanks to the money AH)
-Activision behind the scene -> Almost assured 1+ DLC per month with cool content that otherwise would have been in the release version.
-No picking atributes, and changeable skill points -> Less reason to replay. I made at least 2 of each character in good old D2.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2011, 01:44:29 pm »

Which I think you'll still be able to do to some degree....but it'll all be about which skills you chose to buy up to the max rank of 5 or whatever, what runes you use and what gear you take. When 75% of your character consists of swappable things....yeah...there's very few reasons to play the same class twice.

As for the Night Elf Demon Hunter Chic the huntress chic, yeah, that's what I mean by WoW fan service.

I can't get really excited about any one of the character classes. I don't like muscle bound barbs, and they're the only straight melee/armor choice. I don't like the WD, because half the time he and his attacks look and sound goofy. It's one of those classes I would play dead last. The Wizard is well...the Wizard. The one class that managed to not change at all. Never was my first pick. The monk is the only one I think I enjoy conceptually and would play first....but even some of their stuff seems cut with "Looney Toons"-esqe attacks.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:39 pm »

but even some of their stuff seems cut with "Looney Toons"-esqe attacks.

ah thanks! for reminding me of one thing that when I saw at first i was like "it is inocent day already?"

the huge bell summon attack... and the zombie tower attack... what the fuck, is this diablo or is it wwf ?

vikingefar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 18, 2011, 03:12:34 pm »

Just chiming in here. Alot of the voices in this thread seem to be saying "Everyone has internet stick it up your arse!"

This is an ignorant attitude. I loved Diablo 2 and played it extensively! I was going to buy D3 (I dont give a rat's ass about healing orbs), untill i heard the news about allways online. Now im not going to buy it, i AM going to crack it though. Why? because the address i live at is simply not elligable for ADSL, and i only really care about singleplayer. Simple as that! I reckon there is quite a bit of people in the same boat, and you guys spewing this banther clearly lack the empathy to imagine anybody could be worse of than you.
 For shame!

Furthermore these kinds of DRM represent a rotten tendency in the industry, where you are merely buying licenses to use the client IN THE WAY THE COMPANY SEES FIT, instead of paying for the client itself, enabling you to use it ANY WAY YOU WANT! This ruins modding and alot of other community empowering things like mapmaking and whatnot, not to talk about how it is effectively erroding alot of consumer rights stuff that has taking quite a bit of while to build up.

Having said that, this whole battlenet 2.0 thing is just the new way for Blizzard to control their assets, and it has come natural to them on top of the way dota and korean e-sports were handled, not to talk about WoW. So who can blame em? How should they have done it? I dont know...

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 18, 2011, 04:31:29 pm »

screw big game company, long live pirates!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 18, 2011, 04:43:22 pm »

If it's like every other Blizzard game it's going to be one of the greatest bangs for your buck in gaming.

This whole thread is silly. ;)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #283 on: August 18, 2011, 04:55:00 pm »

If it is like every other Activision game, its going to be one of the worst bangs for your buck in gaming.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 18, 2011, 04:59:05 pm »

If it's like every other Blizzard game it's going to be one of the greatest bangs for your buck in gaming.

This whole thread is silly. ;)

I'm sure it will do its job very well. The question is not "Will Blizzard succeed at making the game they want?", it's a question of "Do I want to play the game Blizzard is making?". Wow is unquestionably popular MMO. I still don't care for it much. SC2 is an excellent RTS that many people play quite a bit. I enjoy it a little bit, but not enough to play all that often. It's just not my style of game.

Diablo was my style of game. Diablo 2 was fun but less so. Diablo 3...not sure yet. But it's not headed in the direction I like.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 43